A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 296,400
Currently Running With Scissors:
775 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Terry Pratchett's Discworld Swap  (Read 7156 times)
Tags for this thread: discworld  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Conley
I Poke You With Sticks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2005 08:03:53 AM »

OK, so what is discworld? I'm kinda curious though, and I could probably google it, but thought I'd ask here first.

Melladh actually summed it up quite well. I've always described the books by the 'seperators' i.e. the Characters. Most of the Discworld books can be categorized by:
The Night Watch books, starring Commander Vimes and Capt Carrot, crimes that need solving with detective work and thin boot soles

The Witches Books, starring Granny Weatherwax, and Nanny (Gytha) Ogg, problems that need fixing with some good old fashioned headology

The Wizard Books, starring Ricewind and the Luggage usually, but also the UU wizards as well, they make problems and try to fix them (or in Rincewind's case, problems just happen)

The DEATH books, starring DEATH obviously and sometimes his granddaughter Susan, being an anthropomorphic personification isn't easy

The Misc books, which aren't about a certain set of characters but are no less entertaining, funny, and uproarious, like Moving Pictures, Small Gods, and the Truth

You should check them out, its not a series that requires you to read them in order because TPratchett fills in enough backstory that you know what's going on. If you read them in order it makes some of the situations more funny. Either way the series is kick ass.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog    http://stephieface.wordpress.com
Ravelry    http://www.ravelry.com/people/Stephieface

2/18/12 - I no longer have the directions for wrapped pens, I lost them several years ago. To obtain them for yourself, do like I did, contact DMC threads directly and ask for them.
Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2005 08:41:37 AM »

The Misc books, which aren't about a certain set of characters but are no less entertaining, funny, and uproarious, like Moving Pictures, Small Gods, and the Truth
Or Going Postal, or Monstrous Regiment Grin "Blue is an abomination unto Nuggan!"
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That's my lab table and this is my work-stool. And over there is my intergalactic spaceship! And here's where I keep assorted lengths of wire."
kat_penguino

I'm a noble rabbit

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2005 10:27:33 AM »

:] Kat obviously hasn't received my July swap package yet!

ooohh, I'm excited now. They sound awesome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

maps
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2005 02:31:42 PM »

Yay!  I got an awesome package from eatcore today.  I love it all!  I will post pics later, I just wanted to say thanks right away.  Thank you! Cheesy -Molly
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've been laid up with bronchitis for two weeks. I am catching up now. Please let me know if I have forgotten something! Sad  -4/5/11
quack
the wooley duck

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2005 02:39:00 PM »

Conley, I wasn't able to get your package out today.  Sad It will be in the mail tomorrow if all goes well. I'm really sorry.

As someone said on one of the covers, Terry Pratchett does for fantasy what Douglas Adams did for sci-fi. I would list Discworld books under satire as well as fantasy.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2005 02:53:27 PM by quack » THIS ROCKS   Logged

quack
the wooley duck

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2005 03:54:47 PM »

I got my package today from Conley. Thank you so much!

She sent me some really great stuff despite having broken her arm. That's dedication, I think and I'm extremely grateful.

First, there was the package itself with a huge picture of the Librarian whom I love:

Everything right after I pulled it from the package:

The contents included the instructions on how to play Cripple Mr. Onion along with two decks of cards, a score pad, and a pencil, and the most fantastic little knitted pouch to carry them, a mod for Neverwinter Nights so I can play in Ankh-Morpork, a lovely three sided bag to take with me to the Ankh-Morpork opera, and some Twinings 'Sunset Rose' tea.
The card game stuff:

Twinings is my favorite brand but I'd never heard of this flavor and it smelled absolutely divine. I immediately put a kettle on to boil to try it and it's lovely. Neverwinter Nights is one of the few games I play and that will run on my computer and I actually exclaimed "AWESOME!" when I read it and had my boyfriend wondering about me. The three sided bag is really pretty and deceptively roomy for its size. I love everything I got and I hope Conley will continue to swap.

The knitted pouch though is my absolute favorite thing. It's the first hand-knitted thing I've ever gotten from anyone and I just adore it already.

That picture does not even remotely do its coolness justice.

I'm going to take all of the card stuff in my pouch with me this weekend to visit my sister and make her learn how to play with me.  Grin

Thank you again!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011 05:50:46 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Conley
I Poke You With Sticks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2005 05:27:17 PM »

Whew!! I was afraid that I hadn't made enough or had not made good stuff. The knitted pouch was my first foray into Intarsia, I was very nervous.
All in all I was suffering some crazy swap anxiousness.

I've played the NWN modules like crazy, and I don't want to give anything away. However, there is a glitch in the programing that I will tell you about. When you kill a particular black dragon (if you get that far) the glitch will not update your module book. So, even though you completed the quest it will always be on the unfinished quest page. Other than that, its awesome and is chock full of surprises- including a UU staff person who got turned into a penguin. Its so odd to see him waddling the halls.

I'm glad you liked the stuff.

I told you about the wrapping job- that was all my stepson. He actually suggested putting a pic of the Librarian on there. Out of the mouths of babes so they say.

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

2/18/12 - I no longer have the directions for wrapped pens, I lost them several years ago. To obtain them for yourself, do like I did, contact DMC threads directly and ask for them.
Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2005 04:11:56 AM »

Everything Conley made looks awesome Smiley

I actually read a lot of the Cripple Mr Union rules in 1998 (when doing an essay on Pratchett in 8th or 9th grade or something) but I never got as far as, you know... understanding Wink
Is it easy or difficult to get as far as knowing it all by heart?

(and a sidenote on the essay I wrote... It was a "portrait of an author" essay. Everyone kept asking my teacher how long it should be, and he kept telling them that it was the contents that counted, and length didn't matter. Since I was a big fan already, I wrote 20 pages on my essay. When the guys saw it they looked terrified and asked my teacher about how long it should be, again. My teacher got tired of them and simply answered "well you see... I'm not actually going to read the essays, I'm just going to place them one by one on a scale and grade them according to how much they weigh")
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That's my lab table and this is my work-stool. And over there is my intergalactic spaceship! And here's where I keep assorted lengths of wire."
Conley
I Poke You With Sticks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2005 07:01:45 AM »

Hahahahaha Melladh- that is awesome.

For the card game you are supposed to have to sets of different cards. You're supposed to have the standard English deck...hearts, diamonds, clubs, and spades...and a Spanish deck...staves, coins, cups, and swords. However, try as I might I couldn't find a Spanish deck anywhere. It says that you can opt to use tarot cards, but I wasn't sure if that would be okay overall and its darn hard to find a regular card deck sized tarot set these days. So I opted for a 2 deck set with different colored backs. All in all its basically like a pokerish blackjack. The goal is to get 21, which is called an Onion -that would be a king and Ace. You can have your standard onion which is 2 cards, or you can have a multi card onion. The poker aspect is if you're gambling and there are bets to be placed and such.

If you're wondering what that thing is in the knitted pouch, its the pencil to keep score. I wanted to make sure it stayed with the set.

I can't wait to see what everyone else made!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

maps
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2005 01:21:51 PM »

Okay, I know Eatcore received her package and opened it, so now I can post what I made for her!

Here's everything:

Two elephant votive holders (pardon my fingers  Tongue):

Three magnets:

Four cards with TP quotes (arg! so blurry):

and a DW animal character charm bracelet made with shrinky dinks - Quoth, Binky, the Librarian, Gaspode & Greebo:

This was my first swap, and it was so much fun!  I had never made any of these crafts before, so it was a little scary, but an awesome motivator!

I will be able to post pics of what I received tonight!

-Molly
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've been laid up with bronchitis for two weeks. I am catching up now. Please let me know if I have forgotten something! Sad  -4/5/11
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Jalepe-NO! Anthony Eats America Ep. 3 - Deleted Scene
Deal or No Deal?: Anthony Eats America Ep. 3 - Deleted Scene
How to Make Oyster Stuffing
How to Make Corn Maque Choux
Apple and Ham Eggs Benedict Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...