A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 296,583
Currently Running With Scissors:
574 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 2013 Art Journal-along-CLOSED  (Read 16928 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

KaoticKrafter
Creating handmade treasures from recycled materials.

Procraftination- the best way to avoid chores!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2013 06:45:34 PM »

but taking my pen and writing over it.... gulp....

It gets easier Smiley I think picking a book that has no meaning or memories for you might be a bit easier, but I have found that I sometimes catch myself reading the pages I am suppose to be creating on. It wouldn't be such a big deal if it was after I've ripped half the pages out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tinybits
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafty Monster Strikes Back

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2013 07:38:58 PM »

I love reading books and I adore the smell etc but I guess if i have another copy I would love to do something artsy with a book that means something to me. Though instead of completely vandalizing it to a point it is unrecognizable i would prefer to use it as a way to express for my love for that book. In that vein I would love to do it with twilight series.. maybe my next project will be that after i complete my love poem notebook...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

spookygrrrly

glitter glue addict

« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2013 10:16:09 PM »

Wow...I'm away from the computer for a couple days and a whole bunch of people show up! Cheesy

I'm already loving the pages you guys have posted:

@Audio: I love the spread you posted. The colors are amazing...can't wait to see it finished!

@Leatherandlace: I like how you are using an old diary to create a new art journal. Part of me thinks you should keep at least some of the old diary pages for posterity...but then I'm super glad my diaries from my youth didn't survive. I went through a truly horrible poetry phase that doesn't need to ever be found again.  Roll Eyes

Also: I'll be catching up on making links for everyone on the main page...but it will take me a few days. I have school Mon-Thurs and the last couple days I've been sick. I should be able to catch up with everyone by the weekend though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mini_mum
Crafting along nicely :)

my lovely boys

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2013 03:02:41 AM »

and doing an art journal class on-line

Do you mind if I ask which class you are taking?

It's called 'Embrace the Day'. More about having a weekly prompt (based around emotions) than techniques, but it's great sharing pages with other people, and seeing how they tackle things. Everyone's pages are so different - its fascinating! (http://lthykesonsmixedmediauniques.ning.com/ or http://pamelajoypurses.ning.com/group/laura-thykeson-funroom/forum/topics/embrace-the-day-new-workshop-expessive-arts-and-writing-workshop for more info)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dragonflower
Ecraftic

YAY!

« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2013 07:47:45 AM »

Oooh, mini_mum... those are some inspiring sites... I'm joining both!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

In the end, only kindness matters.
audio
Nobody could do that much dcoupage without calling on the powers of darkness.

Galactic Empress Audrey The Nerdy

« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2013 09:25:58 AM »

The bubble wrap looking part is a stencil, it's what's left over from sequins. I got it at a local party store, it makes cool ribbons too.

leather and lace! i love that spread, it actually inspired a spread for me.

It's one step at a time for me. I always think i'm going to sit down and do something awesome, but it never ends that way, as you practice everyday, it gets so much easier! So even if you hate a page, it'll be cool to let it stick around and you'll get to see your style and ability progress!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

QueenNinjaMonkey

Write that down in your pirate pad.

« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2013 12:28:15 PM »

I love reading books and I adore the smell etc but I guess if i have another copy I would love to do something artsy with a book that means something to me. Though instead of completely vandalizing it to a point it is unrecognizable i would prefer to use it as a way to express for my love for that book. In that vein I would love to do it with twilight series.. maybe my next project will be that after i complete my love poem notebook...

I really like this idea! My favorite book is Watership Down, I would love to get a copy to work with.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest

150 Projects In 2014
8/150
My List
leather and lace

I'm too 'XC' for my spikes!

« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2013 02:06:56 PM »

It used to bother me to "ruin" a perfectly good book, but as I use mostly old rejects from the library or auctions, I've come to terms with the fact that if I don't do anything with them they're not likely ever to be read or even glanced at again. I have to read them first though, just as a tribute to its history (sometimes they're surprisingly good!)

UPDATE: Got my deerhide today! I think I'm going to dye it to a darker brown and do a bit of distressing before I bind my book, but it really is a beautiful, BIG piece! My grandpa sent me about twice what I actually need, so maybe I will make a set of smaller books to match. Who knows?

« Last Edit: January 10, 2013 02:42:52 PM by leather and lace » THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2013 2/50
2013 Art Journal-along

LV Charlotte Bee Marie's Blog: http://little-rabbit-on-the-prairie.blogspot.com/

Little Visitors Swap
Superhero & Comic Fan Swap
Fabric Printing Swap
Phizzychick
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2013 02:53:38 PM »

Lovely pages so far!

I've found foreign language books to be pretty good because that way I don't end up reading them! Cheesy Old hardback ladybird books are really good too, and the bonus is you can pick a subject that is relevant. I've altered those for holidays in the past.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KaoticKrafter
Creating handmade treasures from recycled materials.

Procraftination- the best way to avoid chores!

« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2013 03:10:19 PM »

Leather and Lace- That is going to be a gorgeous book! I got an elk hide from someone I was working for over the summer. My intent was to turn it into a few pairs of winter moccasin type boots, but I have not done that yet. Maybe I'll look into making a book instead.

I finally started working in my newest journal. Not really going in the direction I thought, but I am still happy with the spread in progress.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Long-Term Effects of the Airport Backscatter
Gloucester Inspires Novel: Beauty
What Would You Sacrifice for a Second Chance?
Noggin by John Corey Whaley Book Trailer
The Real Life of John Wayne, a Hollywood and American Icon
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Art Dolls
Meatless Monday: Texas Pecan Pesto
@Home This Weekend: Celebrate Your State

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...