A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 296,652
Currently Running With Scissors:
684 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Steampunk for the Home 2013 (Sign-ups until 1/18/13 and Send-outs by 2/19/13)  (Read 9649 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Craftsunderground
« Reply #100 on: February 16, 2013 11:25:26 AM »

I started to work on a small yesterday. I have determined that NOTHING takes me an hour or less to craft. I decided to glue some x's to some y's. Sounds simple enough. However, I had to find the photos, size them, and cut them out. This involved figuring out what type of paper and whether to use the big hole punch or scissors, and to print them twice because the first set was too big (tick tock, tick tock). I glued the photos to the x's, but decided to edge them with copper (whoops, did an hour just fly by?) Then there was that long stretch where I debated whether to drill holes and fasten some Z's but that idea was ultimately rejected. Of course, the debate involved me sifting through my stash to find the little z's before I decided not to use them after all. Finally, I glued the x's to the y's. Now I am thinking they may need a sealer; hmmm what type should I use...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Teesha Moore inspired patches--anyone want to swap?
Naantje
« Reply #101 on: February 16, 2013 01:29:40 PM »

I also find that small crafts (less than an hour) really happen seldom. I can crochet one single flower and make it into a brooch in an hour, and when we made goldfish-in-a-bag gift soaps, we could do those in an hour too (well, actual time was more than an hour, because you had to fill the bags slightly, wait while the soap settled, add the plastic fish and fill the rest, but the time spent crafting was <1hour). Of everything I've posted to craftster, it's only the key-rack I made that was a true small (15 minutes to craft!). Of course, that was just screwing in 6 hooks and adding fabric backing.

I finished my second craft and got supplies for my third. There's one more thing I'm hoping to find at a flea market tomorrow, because I haven't been able to find it yet around town, so fingers crossed!

Also, i was wondering: do any of you also create things for swaps and then feel really sorry that you'll have to let go of them? I really love the thing I just finished today, so I'm hoping DeathToLems will appreciate it too Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My 50 in '14

Calling all talented witches and wizards to join us in the Winter Semester of the Harry Potter Craftalong.
bookstorebabe

Girl Genius! Kaja&Phil Foglio

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #102 on: February 16, 2013 03:11:16 PM »

I'll probably be sending a day late. I did the last coats of paint today, and glued the last bits that needed glue. But I'd like to put a coat of sealer on something tomorrow, too-and it may not be 100% dry by monday morning. My own fault. I underestimated how long the final touches would take me to do!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you're going to go for tech that doesn't exist,think Willy Wonka,not Hoover!" Firefairy@ craftster
http://StudioLTD@etsy.com. Coupon code summerfun  50%
http://www.pinterest.com/studioltd60/
http://www.gofundme.com/bvnj24,help kid's chess trip
Craftsunderground
« Reply #103 on: February 16, 2013 03:29:44 PM »

Don't worry Bookstorebabe, you can't rush drying time. I am dealing with that too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wulf
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Smalltacular is bestter.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: February 17, 2013 02:23:46 PM »

I've been trying to wrap my head around the moving parts of the large still.
I read this a couple of times before I realized that you're not making a still. That could be very Steampunk, and useful around the home too. Wink

I'm just finishing up and assembling my main item. I know what you mean about drying time, Bookstorebabe. I used enamel paint because I wanted it to be nice and glossy, but it takes about 12 hours to dry. And since I could only paint one side at a time, and it needed three coats to give a good finish... that's a week gone! Then another week to fully harden! And in the meantime I can't do anything on that part of the project, because the outside is covered in wet paint!

Since then my problems have been hardware-related. I found some perfect little knobs, for instance, but the bolts that came with them have round heads and I needed flat heads. No problem - the shop where I work keeps every imaginable bolt and screw in stock. I'll just swap them out. Uh uh. They're not the standard thread size for that size of bolt. So after a few days of hunting, and being told by number of stores that such a bolt couldn't possibly exist ("Of course it exists! I'm holding one in my hand!") I've given up and found a way to adapt to what I have.

Then starting the final assembly last night I realized the washers I had are too big. So a long search through boxes and bins at home in hopes of finding something that would fit (I eventually did) and I think I'm finally finished with hardware.

There's still one small item that I've kind of abandoned half-way through. I'll see if I can get it finished. If not I have a substitute, but I like this idea a lot.

Should be sending out on Tuesday.

Wulf
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013 02:24:34 PM by Wulf » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftsunderground
« Reply #105 on: February 17, 2013 06:12:13 PM »

Quite an epic search, Wulf--it's the little things  Grin
I can't wait to see what you have made.

I'm finally finished with my large, if I can keep my hands off it. I keep wanting to add a bit here or there. I will be ready to mail on Tuesday. Working on this swap has been so much fun that I hate to see it end.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wulf
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Smalltacular is bestter.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: February 18, 2013 04:55:12 AM »

I'm finally finished with my large, if I can keep my hands off it. I keep wanting to add a bit here or there.
I know what you mean. For me it's the little brass bits - you can never have too many. Although sometimes they can be very useful: "Darn, that's too small. Oh I know, I'll just add some little brass bits. Now it fits perfectly!"

Wulf
THIS ROCKS   Logged

danynn
« Reply #107 on: February 18, 2013 11:23:55 AM »

After reading Wulf's posts I'm intrigued and excited, and also suffering tremendous crafter's anxiety. Tongue

My package for Wulf is done, wrapped, and...not mailed, because the post office is closed today. Will be mailed tomorrow.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ehinders
Crafting to avoid real work.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #108 on: February 18, 2013 12:07:32 PM »

I might have to send a day or two late also. I forgot to paint one side of my large and when I went to put it together today I noticed it. *sigh* So now I'm waiting for stuff to dry also. Seems to be a reoccuring problem around here.  Cheesy Why do we always underestimate dry time?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Naantje
« Reply #109 on: February 18, 2013 12:48:44 PM »

Right with you on the crafters anxiety danynn. Enamel paints, drying times, special screws... My crafty mediums don't (didn't) require drying time (except for when I sugar starched a crochet piece to make a bowl for my grandma, that has to dry three days or more!) and I'm always impressed when people are painting. That really takes a tremendous effort from me!

I sent today, my pacage should be arriving within 4 to 10 working days, so between Feb 22nd and March 4th. Looking forward to receiving and to seeing the gallery!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My 50 in '14

Calling all talented witches and wizards to join us in the Winter Semester of the Harry Potter Craftalong.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw a Duck
How to Draw a Dog
How to Draw a Lion
How to Draw an Eagle
How to Draw a Horse
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...