A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,958
Currently Running With Scissors:
481 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Steampunk for the Home 2013 (Sign-ups until 1/18/13 and Send-outs by 2/19/13)  (Read 11197 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dustyfro
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2013 10:47:08 AM »

I got this sweet piece at the thrift store.  If it doesn't fit my partner's preferences, I'm keeping it and fixing it up for myself  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Book reviews and blog:  http://froregon.blogspot.com
wists list: http://www.wists.com/froregon

Once you can accept the universe as being something expanding into an infinite nothing which is something, wearing stripes with plaid is easy. Albert Einstein
Craftsunderground
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2013 12:13:56 PM »

I love the thrifting and upcycling. Have fun with it either way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Teesha Moore inspired patches--anyone want to swap?
Craftsunderground
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2013 03:20:45 PM »

Partners have been notified and now...let the crafting begin!

From the questionnaires, this looks to be an exciting group. I can't wait to see what everyone chooses to make.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dustyfro
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2013 12:02:16 AM »

*twisting mustache*  Yes, yes, I think we can do something with thissssss.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Book reviews and blog:  http://froregon.blogspot.com
wists list: http://www.wists.com/froregon

Once you can accept the universe as being something expanding into an infinite nothing which is something, wearing stripes with plaid is easy. Albert Einstein
ehinders
Crafting to avoid real work.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2013 07:28:44 AM »

Whew! I've been away for a few days and I was catching up on the thread when I saw parnters. I thought why didn't I get a pm. I did. Must have missed it somewhere.  Roll Eyes Off to do some stalking! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Wulf
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Smalltacular is bestter.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2013 07:26:06 PM »

Yikes! I bet you had that awful "Did I forget to actually send in my questionnaire?" feeling. A big sigh of relief!

As part of my de-stash-along, I've been making a pile of Steampunk-y bits and pieces. It's much larger than I'd expected!

Wulf
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftsunderground
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2013 09:51:41 AM »

Yikes! I bet you had that awful "Did I forget to actually send in my questionnaire?" feeling. A big sigh of relief!

As part of my de-stash-along, I've been making a pile of Steampunk-y bits and pieces. It's much larger than I'd expected!

Wulf
I saw the pictures of your craft stash and I wouldn't be surprised, no matter how big that pile turned out to be Cheesy You really got my attention when I saw you had rolled up deerskins (more than one) on your top shelves. Your space is amazing for the shear variety alone.
Seriously, I am accumulating bits and pieces for future Steampunk art and they are becoming an organizational problem. Does anyone have any good ideas?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ehinders
Crafting to avoid real work.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2013 10:02:09 AM »

Wulf

Tell me about it! I was worried for a second there.

I concur with Craftsunderground about your stash! Mine is so random. I'm sure there's some good bits in there I can use, I just have to find them first! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
leather and lace

I'm too 'XC' for my spikes!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2013 02:38:59 PM »

Wulf
I saw the pictures of your craft stash and I wouldn't be surprised, no matter how big that pile turned out to be Cheesy You really got my attention when I saw you had rolled up deerskins (more than one) on your top shelves. Your space is amazing for the shear variety alone.
Seriously, I am accumulating bits and pieces for future Steampunk art and they are becoming an organizational problem. Does anyone have any good ideas?

Wulf

Tell me about it! I was worried for a second there.

I concur with Craftsunderground about your stash! Mine is so random. I'm sure there's some good bits in there I can use, I just have to find them first! Wink

I'm so jealous of you guys! I just started getting "serious" about making real art and projects a couple years ago, and so far my stash is very tiny (by your guys' standards, by my mom's standards I don't need anymore junk:P) and there isn't anything really good. Mostly cool clothing labels and bottle caps -_-

Anyone have any good sources (and cost-effective ones-- as a jobless teenager, my cash flow is a little slow) for steampunky odds and ends? I've checked out tinythingsarecute.com, but that's mostly ephemera and small stuff. I would love some old clock parts, scrap metal, leather remnants, etc., but Tiny Town, Iowa is hardly the place to find any of that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2013 2/50
2013 Art Journal-along

LV Charlotte Bee Marie's Blog: http://little-rabbit-on-the-prairie.blogspot.com/

Little Visitors Swap
Superhero & Comic Fan Swap
Fabric Printing Swap
Wulf
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Smalltacular is bestter.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2013 05:06:50 PM »

Tiny Town may be just the place to find good Steampunkery. I'm sure Iowa isn't too different from Ontario in that the best thrift shops are in small towns and out in the country. They often have clocks, leather coats, old equipment like film projectors and sewing machines... And you may have access to the best source of all - country auction sales. The best buys are usually near the end of the sale - go for mixed boxes of stuff that the auctioneers haven't been able to sell otherwise or don't know what to do with. You can often get an alarming amount of stuff for $10 or $20. You may have to throw out 3/4 of it but still end up with a good pile of stuff that can be disassembled, adapted, cut apart and otherwise scavenged for good parts. You have to train yourself to look at objects and see the individual bits you would get if you take them apart.

I wouldn't bother with online sources if you're short of cash - the mark-up is too great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Become a Better Writer
How to Get Motivated to Write a Novel
How to Get a Job Writing Reviews
How to Get Your Work Published
How to Write a Haiku
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...