A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,217
Currently Running With Scissors:
620 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Orkney 2011 Journal - Finally Finished!! (pic heavy)  (Read 1300 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bushbaby
Ex Bonis Aardy

Hug the bushbaby! Evil does not wear a Bonnet!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: January 04, 2013 03:47:38 AM »

So in 2011, I, my parents and my older sister all went on a holiday to the Orkney Islands Since we are all grown up now I realised that this would probably be the last family holiday together, so I decided to keep a visual journal & photo album while we were there.

I started with this blank, canvas covered journal to which I stuck an old picture mount and, using some tips from this craftalong, I painted the cover. The photo was added last as it was the only shot of all 4 of us on the first day together in Orkney.

I did have some in progress shots showing this but they got swallowed by my PC in a hard drive crash  Cry

Once we were in Orkney, I did a few colour washes on each page in a colour I thought would suit the day's sight seeing and then took it with me every where we went. I stuck in all sorts of little bits and sketched whatever caught my fancy. I also stuck in leaflets and pressed flowers/plants (all carefully collected and not endangered/protected species)

You can see at the top of some of the pages I also made a 'luggage tag' for each day and on (most) of these I noted what & where we ate (lots of nice eating out & tasty things) As usual for me I didnt actually manage to complete the last few 'days' during the holiday. And since coming back and getting the photos printed this has sat until I decided to join the 50 in 2013 craftalong - this gave me the incentive to finally finish this journal Smiley

I have now stuck in all the photos and finished off each page as you can see. I'm really happy with how this has turned out and that it it FINALLY done  Grin

x
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013 03:55:25 AM by bushbaby » THIS ROCKS   Logged

mini_mum
Crafting along nicely :)

my lovely boys

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013 04:56:37 AM »

What a great memento of the holiday.
I have a few tears in my eyes looking at your wonderful pictures - I used to live in Orkney (it is just Orkney - the 'ney' bit means 'island' which is why so many of the smaller islands' names finish with it or a variation) - on Eday, one of the north islands, and went to school in Kirkwall, on Mainland (the main/biggest island in the group).
I remember so many of the places in your book - The Italian Chapel, the standing stones (SO many of them on so many of the islands (including Eday), St Margarets' Hope, Stromness - the second town on Mainland and so different from Kirkwall. I love St Magnus Cathedral - worshipped there many times.

I really want to go back at some time as it is so peaceful and spiritual up there.

Thank you for bringing back so many memories!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bushbaby
Ex Bonis Aardy

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013 06:58:49 AM »

Thanks mini_mum - and you are so right about there being no 'islands' - silly brain! I was just so pleased to have finished this  Roll Eyes

Orkney really is one of those special places in the world, it's just so serene. I probably wont be able to go back since I & hubbie don't drive and we certainly can't afford the plane fare, but I am very lucky to have been twice with my parents. Like you I will treasure the memories.

Im really glad you enjoyed the pics  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

zelmar
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013 04:28:21 PM »

The painted album cover is really effective
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Can I stick things to it?
yoopidou
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013 10:02:15 AM »

Beautiful album! Will you make copies to give to your family?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bushbaby
Ex Bonis Aardy

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013 10:51:27 AM »

The painted album cover is really effective

Yeah, I was really happy how it turned out for just throwing paint at a canvas  Grin

Beautiful album! Will you make copies to give to your family?

Thank you. No, I will keep this one to be brought out on special occasions, although we have all traded copies of the pics we all took.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

janslow
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013 08:47:13 AM »

It looks absolutely fantastic! Smiley I'm able to bind a notebook or journal, bit never have been able to fill any in such wonderful detail! Such a skill.

x
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For unique handmade notebooks and journals, visit:
www.libertecrafts.co.uk
www.etsy.com/shop/LiberteCrafts
FairyHazeDesigns
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013 07:51:53 PM »

This is brilliant. I did something similer for my mom when she went to cuba....i made it picture ready and she got to put all her pictures in it
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Living and Loving Life....come join me!
Trekky
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013 12:46:36 AM »

This is beautiful finally finished!  The front cover is lovely.  I like the delicate colour washes on the pages - it is a very good effect. 

Now you make me want to go back to Orkney!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://craftytrekky.blogspot.com/

I have lots of train tickets (I get the train most days), if anyone wants some for papercrafting just send me a PM Smiley
bushbaby
Ex Bonis Aardy

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2013 04:08:18 AM »

This is beautiful finally finished!  The front cover is lovely.  I like the delicate colour washes on the pages - it is a very good effect. 

Now you make me want to go back to Orkney!  Grin

Thanks Smiley  It was quite a good way to get the pages started and keep me going - I have that "blank new page" moment in a new sketch book!

Yeah, I'd like to go back too. might happen next year - we will see how things go.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Beauty on the Street: Hair Part
Bohemian Hair
Inside Beauty: Timo Weiland Hair Test
How to Trim Your Hair at Home
Quick Hair Trim
Latest Blog Articles
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...