A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,050
Currently Running With Scissors:
625 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 30
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ongoing ATC Swap Discussion Thread for 2013!  (Read 28383 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

gozer
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

If only Mogwai were real... at least we have Bigfoot

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #260 on: November 04, 2013 07:37:47 AM »

I have to say I am a Copic whore, so remember that when you read this post.  Wink I prefer those to any other marker just for their amazing quality and variety of colors. They do cost a lot, but SO worth it if drawing and rendering is what you really enjoy doing.
 That being said, have you looked into PrismaColor markers? They now have the brush tips that I find a complete must have. And you can get those at Michaels and use the coupon or find them on sale periodically. They would be my runner up for markers. I have never used the Delta's so I can't comment on those. Are they alcohol based?
 As for paper, I have used the markers paper but find I prefer the "manga" paper or Comic paper. It will let you blend, no bleading, no peeling. Love that stuff. It has a good thickness to it but use the correct side! If not it tends to streak easier.
 If you're getting streaks, use (or get) a colorless blender if it's available in the markers you chose (and I wouldn't chose a brand without one). Just remember, it's an eraser! It blends by removing.
 I have to agree with Cosmicgirl. Get a good gray scale set. Even if you don't have the exact color to shade with you can use the gray's. I have a fondness for grayscale anyway and tend to just do those and I am happy.
 And my last bit of advice, layer, layer, layer. Don't be afrais to layer. I need to do that more and I tend to stop myself when I know I should do more.

PS. Love the word befuddled vincentvanbuck. I use it all the time, one of my favorite words! It's so fun to say!!!!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kosmicgirl
ATC ringmaster ;)

~best of 2013 winner!~

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: November 04, 2013 08:10:12 AM »

I have to say
 ...never used the Delta's so I can't comment on those. Are they alcohol based?

Yup! ..and they blend really nice Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blupaisan

crayyyyyyzeeeeeee about cats!!!

https://www.etsy.com/shop/WackobelleEarrings

« Reply #262 on: November 04, 2013 09:57:39 AM »

Hi everyone, I have a supply question for y'all.  As I have been observing the cards everyone makes (and even been lucky enough to receive some from really talented artists), I've realized that a lot of the cards I admire most seem to be done in art marker.  I noticed that some people in the thread have mentioned copic markers before, so when I went to Michaels today with a 40% off all art supplies coupon, I figured I would pick some up.

Yowza!  The copic markers I saw were $50 a 6-pack, or $8 individually.  (And to top it off, I am pretty sure the coupon can't even be used on copics.)  So after standing befuddled and a little defeated in the marker aisle for about 5 minutes, I threw some stuff into my basket and headed to the register.

After getting home and initially experimenting with the supplies I bought, my feelings were mixed at best:

24 pack Pentel Arts Color Pen Fine Point Color Markers: this was the most expensive thing I bought, and I kinda feel like it was a waste of money.  Cry It seems like they do not flow very well at all, and it is hard to shade in areas with them.  If I use a lot of pressure, the ink blots very dark, and if I try to use broad strokes with a light touch, the shading lines are very obvious.  (I apologize for not using the correct terminology, I have no art training whatsoever.)  Worst of all, if I go over the same area two or three times, the paper of my ATC blank starts peeling up underneath the marker.  While trying to brush some of the peeling off, one section actually came off and revealed white underneath.  Uggh.  Is this a bad brand of marker, or do I just have no clue what I'm doing with them?  Thank heavens I got them for 40% off, or else I would've really felt gypped.

12 pack Artist's Loft Dual Tip Brush Markers:  The brush tip on these gets waaay better flow and coverage, so I like these better than the Pentel.  My problem with these is that all the hues are super bold, and with only 12 colors, it's going to be hard to do anything subtle with them.

Faber-Castell PITT artist pens (one fine tip, one brush) in black for outlining: these seem like good products.  I especially like the brush tip one.

So, do you y'all have any suggestions/recommendations for brands I should be looking for?  What products you like to use?  Or advice on how to best use the stuff I've already purchased?  Thanks in advance for any tips you can share with me.

I go to my local art supply store, cuz I like local, and buy any color I wish of Pigma micron pens. Fadeproof, waterproof so I can do watercolors on top of them.0.45 line width is what I usually go for. I have had one in particular for 10 years and use it on nearly every ATC I do. Has lasted that long! They are not expensive at all. Do not remember exact price, but considering that I have lived in poverty my whole adult life, there is no way I would have purchased it without it being a very reasonable price.  On the pen it says Sakura color Products, made in Japan.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It were lightnin'...
kosmicgirl
ATC ringmaster ;)

~best of 2013 winner!~

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: November 04, 2013 11:01:29 AM »

With fine liners and alcohol ink markers... it's difficult. The only ones I found that don't smudge at all are the copic multiliners. They are not the cheapest, but since the tips and the ink cartridges are exchangeable I would say they are worth their money. The pigma brush pen I have here doesn't work with the ink markers that well Sad
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013 11:02:41 AM by kosmicgirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

gozer

« Reply #264 on: November 04, 2013 01:11:32 PM »

I have the Copic liners and my only complaint with them is if you do a pencil sketch underneath be careful, they will smear. Let then completely dry before you erase any stray lines.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gozer

« Reply #265 on: November 05, 2013 05:30:23 AM »

Oh, Kosmicgirl, Copic does make a set of disposable liners too that are cheaper. They are just like normal pens where once they are used up you throw them away, no switching tips kind of thing. They are a lot cheaper than the other kind and I actually prefer the feel of them to the more expensive ones. The changable ones feel heavy in my hand. I may just be extra wimpy though.
 I got a set of the Micron Sakura liners (clam ink  Huh )for a friend for Christmas. She is just getting into water color and I was hoping those would work for her. They were only $9.43 on Amazon for a set of 6. Have my fingers crossed that they don't smear but if it's the same brand blupaisan uses it should work great.
 Does anyone know what the clam ink means?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kosmicgirl
ATC ringmaster ;)

~best of 2013 winner!~

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: November 05, 2013 12:05:10 PM »

...copic does make a set of disposable liners too that are cheaper...

I know, I have a few of those as well, but I've come to like the heavier feel of the metal ones.  And since I tend to mistreat my fine liners with all kinds of experimental drawing...I've ruined quite a few pens long before they ran out of ink. Better to switch the tip and start fresh  Wink The cheaper ones are difficult to find over here though. I love the 1.0 one, but can only find it expensive online, or in sets with other copic markers. Stupid... *grumbles*

Clam ink? Dunno... I doubt it's made of clams though...or? Are there inky clams anywhere in the world?  Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kwality570

View Profile WWW
« Reply #267 on: November 06, 2013 06:33:39 AM »

I just submitted my sign-up.  I can't wait to start claiming!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kosmicgirl
ATC ringmaster ;)

~best of 2013 winner!~

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: November 06, 2013 11:17:01 AM »

Step right up and make that claim! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blupaisan

crayyyyyyzeeeeeee about cats!!!

https://www.etsy.com/shop/WackobelleEarrings

« Reply #269 on: November 06, 2013 01:27:32 PM »

Where's my collection of 1,000 cat whiskers when I need it??!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It were lightnin'...
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Bohemian Hairstyles at the Mara Hoffman Fall 2012 Fashion Show
How to Make a Natural Mask for Dry Hair
Carolina Herrera Fall 2012 Backstage Hairstyling
Tracy Reese Fall 2012 Backstage Hairstyling
Hair Extensions Backstage at the Nicole Miller Fall 2012 Fashion Week Show
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...