A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,726
Currently Running With Scissors:
474 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 30
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ongoing ATC Swap Discussion Thread for 2013!  (Read 28985 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

redstar13
"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan. " -Tom Landrey

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #230 on: September 16, 2013 01:09:18 PM »

*** HAPPY BIRTHDAY*** to our current organizer, redstar13!! Many happy returns.

THANK YOU!! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

vincentvanbuck
In Martha we trust

Breaking loved ones' sewing machines since 2013

View Profile WWW
« Reply #231 on: September 17, 2013 09:22:14 PM »

ARRGHH.

So, I've spent the past two nights working on my Texas-themed card for rockingbearranch.  I had a really cool idea involving masking fluid.  So far, everything was going great.  Tonight, I applied the masking fluid, painted over it, went to rub off the masking fluid and... total disaster.  The masking fluid ripped up huge chunks of dried paint along with it.

Maybe acrylic paint was not a smart choice for this project?  Perhaps watercolor would have been better?  But a) I have never used watercolor before, and b) I need the paint to be opaque enough to cover what's underneath (except for what gets protected by the masking fluid).

At least the part underneath the paint is undamaged (except for a tiny bit of smeared paint), so perhaps I can salvage the card and paint the overall effect I was going for in the first place.  Not gonna lie, feeling a little pressured to turn in quality products since y'all do such good work in this swap.  Wink

* sigh *  Just needed to vent.  That is all.  We now return to your regularly-scheduled crafting.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013 09:26:20 PM by vincentvanbuck » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Current Swaps:
  • Mini 13 Days of Halloween R. 6
  • Yet Another TM Patch Swap R. 3
  • Fall/Character Ninni
  • Christmas Stocking Swap R. 10
  • October ATC (organizer)

Nerd Battles: Team Multimedia
Harry Potter Craftalong: House Ravenclaw
kosmicgirl
ATC ringmaster ;)

~best of 2013 winner!~

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: September 17, 2013 10:04:03 PM »

I never tried masking fluid with anything but watercolours or ink...
Hopefully you can save the card, after putting in so much effort. Good luck! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blupaisan
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crayyyyyyzeeeeeee about cats!!!

« Reply #233 on: September 19, 2013 05:24:08 AM »

ARRGHH.

So, I've spent the past two nights working on my Texas-themed card for rockingbearranch.  I had a really cool idea involving masking fluid.  So far, everything was going great.  Tonight, I applied the masking fluid, painted over it, went to rub off the masking fluid and... total disaster.  The masking fluid ripped up huge chunks of dried paint along with it.

Maybe acrylic paint was not a smart choice for this project?  Perhaps watercolor would have been better?  But a) I have never used watercolor before, and b) I need the paint to be opaque enough to cover what's underneath (except for what gets protected by the masking fluid).

At least the part underneath the paint is undamaged (except for a tiny bit of smeared paint), so perhaps I can salvage the card and paint the overall effect I was going for in the first place.  Not gonna lie, feeling a little pressured to turn in quality products since y'all do such good work in this swap.  Wink

* sigh *  Just needed to vent.  That is all.  We now return to your regularly-scheduled crafting.

I also felt pressured when I first joined Craftster. So many talented folks! I must say, I did my best, but it came nowhere near what others were doing. No one is gonna expect miracles from you since you are new... be gentle on yourself! (-:
And it may not be the time to experiment with new stuff. What are you already comfortable doing? If you stick to that, you may have a lot more success with completing something. It does not have to be spectacular. Just you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It were lightnin'...
CDEeeek
« Reply #234 on: September 19, 2013 05:33:03 AM »

When I am trying new material or techniques(which is pretty much every day, lol), I practice on a scrap of the material I will be working with. I also do this with lettering, or to see what a pen will do with a particular paper or what not. I've had a lot of disasters, including what I call the "red paint disaster" during the Sideshow swap. Looked like someone was murdered in my craft room. BTW, some craft paints do not, I repeat, do not return to desired consistency once they are lumpy in the bottle. Not with water. Not with thinner. Just not.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I has a pinterest: http://pinterest.com/cdeeeek/

"It's an electronics store, Major, not Basra. Get it under control."
kosmicgirl
ATC ringmaster ;)

~best of 2013 winner!~

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: September 25, 2013 04:32:24 PM »

Just need to vent...I just finished up a batch of cards yesterday, and I'm soooo frustrated! I like mounting my cards, but this time instead of my trusty gluestick, I decided to use some sort of weird paper friendly glue stuff... and ALL the cards warped!!! ARGHHHH! Pressing them only made them somewhat flat. If you get a weird horribly crooked card from me in the near future, remember it comes with sincere apologies, and a promise never to try out new glues when you know (KNOW!!) which ones work! On one of the cards the glue even discoloured the picture I drew on it - it's all blotchy and weird. BLARGHH!
(but on the bright side I guess that makes it one for my collection?  Tongue )

Just needed to scream quietly on the internet. Sorry about that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cmarion3

Earth Crone

I'm a Craftster BEST OF 2013 Winner!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #236 on: September 25, 2013 04:36:14 PM »

Just need to vent...I just finished up a batch of cards yesterday, and I'm soooo frustrated! I like mounting my cards, but this time instead of my trusty gluestick, I decided to use some sort of weird paper friendly glue stuff... and ALL the cards warped!!! ARGHHHH! Pressing them only made them somewhat flat. If you get a weird horribly crooked card from me in the near future, remember it comes with sincere apologies, and a promise never to try out new glues when you know (KNOW!!) which ones work! On one of the cards the glue even discoloured the picture I drew on it - it's all blotchy and weird. BLARGHH!
(but on the bright side I guess that makes it one for my collection?  Tongue )

Just needed to scream quietly on the internet. Sorry about that.

Sometimes you can fix a warped card by wetting the back or gluing to the back. The card warps back the other way. Give it a try sometime.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ATC's Always
Monsters and Art Dolls
Art Journaling and Fabric Art Journaling
Mixed Media Madwoman
50 Projects in 2014
LimeRiot
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Sublime

« Reply #237 on: September 27, 2013 11:41:32 AM »

Hi ATC'ers! I'm hoping to join you for an upcoming round of the ongoing ATC swap Smiley.

I haven't made many (actually, any) ATCs but I've been enjoying paper crafting and mini painting lately so I'm excited for the chance to join and learn from the pros!

I've already made a folio to keep my future collection of ATCs Smiley. (http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=427646.0)

Since it's close to the end of the month, I'll probably do some practice ATCs and then play along with you all in October!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest!
My Blog!

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
CDEeeek
« Reply #238 on: September 27, 2013 01:30:12 PM »

Hi ATC'ers! I'm hoping to join you for an upcoming round of the ongoing ATC swap Smiley.

I haven't made many (actually, any) ATCs but I've been enjoying paper crafting and mini painting lately so I'm excited for the chance to join and learn from the pros!

I've already made a folio to keep my future collection of ATCs Smiley. (http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=427646.0)

Since it's close to the end of the month, I'll probably do some practice ATCs and then play along with you all in October!

Mwah ha ha ha ha....fresh blood....I mean, Yay, I am glad you're joining in.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I has a pinterest: http://pinterest.com/cdeeeek/

"It's an electronics store, Major, not Basra. Get it under control."
redstar13
"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan. " -Tom Landrey

« Reply #239 on: October 01, 2013 10:29:49 AM »

Ok guys - I am gonna try and get the Oct swap up by the end of the day. My grandmother has been really sick in the ICU so I have not been around, and now I am ill. Sorry for the delay.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 30 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Coca-Cola Cake Recipe
How to Make Coconut Cream Pie
How to Make White Frosting
How to Make Grown-Up Jellied Desserts
Hummingbird Cake Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...