A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,292
Currently Running With Scissors:
607 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 30
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ongoing ATC Swap Discussion Thread for 2013!  (Read 32948 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kosmicgirl
ATC ringmaster ;)

damn right I'm a princess!

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: October 28, 2013 10:51:04 AM »

I'm going through ATC withdrawal. ...ATC anonymous anyone?

"hi cmarion. i'm an atc-oholic too"

Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

redstar13
"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan. " -Tom Landrey

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #251 on: October 29, 2013 09:31:13 PM »

Hey all - sorry for being so MIA this month. It's been a tough couple of weeks. I am hoping to get 100% caught up tonight. If you have concerns, please let me know. The most important numbers in the threads should be the ones next to your name. Let me know if I have messed up
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blupaisan
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crayyyyyyzeeeeeee about cats!!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #252 on: October 30, 2013 03:23:29 PM »

Finally!!  I have been waiting to claim ChameleonHound but never get there in time... just made it in!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It were lightnin'...
kosmicgirl
ATC ringmaster ;)

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: November 01, 2013 02:30:19 AM »

THE NOVEMBER SWAP IS NOW OPEN

Big thanks to redstar for hosting the swaps this summer and autumn!! *claps hands*
I'll be taking over in November, and since it's the first time hosting for me, just be patient as I try to fill the (pretty large) boots of my predecessors Wink

I hope we'll have another month filled with awesome cards from you guys!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

whatthepuck
« Reply #254 on: November 02, 2013 04:33:11 AM »

Thank you kosmicgirl for taking over. Thanks Redstar13 for being an awesome organizer.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

vincentvanbuck
In Martha we trust

Breaking loved ones' sewing machines since 2013

View Profile WWW
« Reply #255 on: November 02, 2013 09:10:21 PM »

Hi everyone, I have a supply question for y'all.  As I have been observing the cards everyone makes (and even been lucky enough to receive some from really talented artists), I've realized that a lot of the cards I admire most seem to be done in art marker.  I noticed that some people in the thread have mentioned copic markers before, so when I went to Michaels today with a 40% off all art supplies coupon, I figured I would pick some up.

Yowza!  The copic markers I saw were $50 a 6-pack, or $8 individually.  (And to top it off, I am pretty sure the coupon can't even be used on copics.)  So after standing befuddled and a little defeated in the marker aisle for about 5 minutes, I threw some stuff into my basket and headed to the register.

After getting home and initially experimenting with the supplies I bought, my feelings were mixed at best:

24 pack Pentel Arts Color Pen Fine Point Color Markers: this was the most expensive thing I bought, and I kinda feel like it was a waste of money.  Cry It seems like they do not flow very well at all, and it is hard to shade in areas with them.  If I use a lot of pressure, the ink blots very dark, and if I try to use broad strokes with a light touch, the shading lines are very obvious.  (I apologize for not using the correct terminology, I have no art training whatsoever.)  Worst of all, if I go over the same area two or three times, the paper of my ATC blank starts peeling up underneath the marker.  While trying to brush some of the peeling off, one section actually came off and revealed white underneath.  Uggh.  Is this a bad brand of marker, or do I just have no clue what I'm doing with them?  Thank heavens I got them for 40% off, or else I would've really felt gypped.

12 pack Artist's Loft Dual Tip Brush Markers:  The brush tip on these gets waaay better flow and coverage, so I like these better than the Pentel.  My problem with these is that all the hues are super bold, and with only 12 colors, it's going to be hard to do anything subtle with them.

Faber-Castell PITT artist pens (one fine tip, one brush) in black for outlining: these seem like good products.  I especially like the brush tip one.

So, do you y'all have any suggestions/recommendations for brands I should be looking for?  What products you like to use?  Or advice on how to best use the stuff I've already purchased?  Thanks in advance for any tips you can share with me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Current Swaps:

Nerd Battles: Team Multimedia
    Harry Potter Craftalong: House Ravenclaw
    kosmicgirl
    ATC ringmaster ;)

View Profile
    « Reply #256 on: November 03, 2013 01:19:41 AM »

I was lucky to get a set of markers for my birthday this year. My husband didn't make a big secret of it, and we looked at all kinds of markers and review videos on youtube together before deciding on Delta Markers. The set with 120 Markers was priced at around  140  ( appr. $190). LOTS of money. But I'm glad to have the complete set, since you need the right nuances for shading properly. The Delta markers are a European brand (I think), but I'm guessing there are cheap alternatives to the Copics in America as well. The pens I bought have a fine tip and a broad one. Since getting them, I have started filling out my collection with a few Copic Ciao pens, for a few colours that are missing in the Delta collection. (The Ciaos are cheaper than the Copic sketch, and they have the brush tip as well). I don't think the Copics are better or worse than the Deltas... they are different. I love the fine tip on the Deltas, but the brush tip is also very useful. I think it's a question of personal preference. Copic pens however have the range of colours no other brand (that I know of) offers though.... though choices.

One tip I can give you is to try different sort of papers. I got a paper pad which was supposed to be special for Alcohol markers... and it sucks! Can't work on it for my life! The ink clumps and sort of pushes itself around on the paper (can't describe it any better... it's weird!)
    You need paper that doesn't absorb too much with a smooth surface (water colour paper makes the pens bleed out a lot... I made that mistake as well on the scarecrow card I made a while back if you remember it..? ) I am using a normal sketch pad atm, and a notebook that I got at IKEA (!)

I know that you can get the Copic ciaos here in colour coordinated sets sometimes (and I bet from other companies as well). I would recommend sets like that to start you up with matching colours (like skin tones, blue or grey shading colours etc.) The mega set I got is cool... but I haven't used a good third of the pens even once, and to be honest... I don't know when I'll need the tons of pink hues included  Roll Eyes
    (TIPI use the warm grey and the cool grey scales A LOT though! They are also good for shading almost any colour)

And my last tip: Practise! It takes time to get friendly with the pens. Don't start of with your absolute favourite sketch - it will be ruined!  Cry
    THIS ROCKS   Logged

CDEeeek
    « Reply #257 on: November 03, 2013 07:33:52 AM »

I am sure that it shows that I use mainly sharpies and colored pencils in my ATC's. I am always trying to get the ultra thin line pens, too. This is how I rate the amateur pens:

Bic Mark-it set- Cheaper than the Sharpie set by half, bleeds like you would not believe. If you need an effect that includes a little spreading of the color, they work for that.

Sharpie set- I got the standard colors set for $12. Was more than worth it.

Sharpie metallics pack of 3: Bronze, Gold, Silver. The bronze is like a rose gold, so it's good for Victorian Steampunk. The silver is great for metallic silver or steel, and I use it in places where I just want it to look like some metal showing through. The gold is kind of bright, and there isn't much to do to tone it down. But it works for really shiny gold.

Fine line black outliners:

Sharpie ultra fine: It's ok if you don't mind some bleeding.

Sharpie ultra fine paint pen- Very bold, very dark. Lines stay fine though. Not good if your hand shakes.

Bic fine line marker- way too bleed-y, makes it into a thick line.

My absolute favorite: Paper Mate felt tip. They are not as easy to find, and once one of mine goes dry I am really bummed. I see they have online an entire set of colors, I might have to just buy a set. Very easy to control, even if your hand shakes. Very fine lines, no bleeding. Lasts a pretty long time.

I recently bought some antique drawing pens with nibs, and I hope to try them out one something soon.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I has a pinterest: http://pinterest.com/cdeeeek/

"It's an electronics store, Major, not Basra. Get it under control."
    greybird
    Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

<3 birds <3

View Profile WWW
    « Reply #258 on: November 03, 2013 10:54:09 AM »

I don't use markers very often, but I do have a set of Faber-Castell PITT artist pens and I really like them.   Smiley
    THIS ROCKS   Logged

whatthepuck
    « Reply #259 on: November 03, 2013 06:21:12 PM »

I use ultra fine Sharpies. I think they are about $30, but you can use the coupon. I'm impressed at how long this set has lasted. I feel like I've had them forever. I've hinted (big time) that a new set would make an awesome Birthday/Christmas present.
    THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
    Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 30 Jump to page:
      Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
    only results with images
    include swap threads
    advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
    WIND SQUID #5 - Space Pirates!
    Les Nabis: When Paintings Were Inspired By Photography
    WIND SQUID #6 - Return to Sender!
    WIND SQUID #7 - Outpost 34 Emergency
    Learn to Draw a Penguin in 30 Seconds
    Latest Blog Articles
    @Home This Weekend: Art Caddy
    Everyone needs more fiber!
    April 29, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
    Become a
    Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
    Buy Craft Supplies
    Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
    Moderators

Follow Craftster...