A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 303,106
Currently Running With Scissors:
745 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Trying to turn this large seashell into a ring box -- how to make it open?  (Read 1233 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
bird catbird
« on: December 31, 2012 02:31:59 PM »

Hello everyone!

I am new to this forum, I am a beginner crafter I suppose, it sort of just happened after getting sober about 6 months ago. I love to use foam and crazy glue, and I like to paint wood, rocks, and seashells.

My lover friend is a scuba diver and found this gigantic seashell under the water with both pieces intact. I want to turn it into a sort of functioning ring box so I can pop a special question when we go on vacation together. I have uploaded a couple pictures so you can see, there is a bit of an opening in the back whe I might be able to attach some sort of hinge. The only problem is it will need to allow a bit of "give" for the part of the shell that juts out to at least be able to open it 90 degrees.

It closes pretty well but there is still a large gap all the way around. I may leave that as is and just ensure the ring is secure, but I am also imagining possibly attaching a zipper so that I can zip the shell shut. So my questions are

Any advice on a type of hinge I can buy or construct to make this shell open 90 degrees and close?

Any advice on attaching a zipper around the mouth of the shell?

The link above is to the pictures, this is y first time using crafts tear so please let me know if you can see them or not

Thanks so much,

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012 02:52:32 PM »

If you intend to line the inside of the shell then the easiest way I can think of would be to make a fabric hinge: a piece of fabric/ribbon/tape, glued to both sides of the shell, if you choose carefully, the fabric will give a little to accommodate the jutting out bit.

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013 01:25:54 PM »

I was thinking a fabric hinge as well. That would probably be the easiest and would let you maintain the natural beauty of the shell. I would worry about gluing a zipper on as it might cause damage.

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013 09:45:48 AM »

I've seen similar shells made into boxes, they're really cute. 
They usually run a small brass U channel around the outside of each shell, then solder on a hinge and a clasp.  You could probably use the copper tape used by stained glass artists instead of the U channel.

another option would be to drill holes at the hinge end and thread ribbon or cord to make a hinge.  You could drill more holes at the wide end and tie the shell closed.

"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep." - Scott Adams
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Crossing the Tracks Book Trailer
Rick Springfield Talks About Late, Late at Night Part 2
Blood Ties Book Trailer
David Grann Reveals His Previous Occupation
Kathy Charles Talks About John Belushi Is Dead
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Clever Containers for Cuttings
September 30, 2015 Featured Projects
Spotlight on: Spiral Veggies Recipes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...