A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,440
Currently Running With Scissors:
480 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Experimenting in the Kitchen Along  (Read 22163 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

meleriffic
Global Moderator
Clothing Moderator
Toys, Dolls, & Playthings Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: February 12, 2013 02:06:03 PM »

JOHN WAYNE CASSEROLE

Recipe here.

Verdict: Yummy. I've already made it a second time. It's ground beef, onions, tomatoes, pickled jalapenos, green peppers, a sauce, and cheese over biscuit dough. I wasn't sure if we would like it or not, but we ended up loving it. I do, however, dice up the jalapenos rather than leave them in larger slices. Mostly because some around here, don't really like spicy things.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Acadian Driftwood

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #101 on: February 12, 2013 02:40:44 PM »

Well, I tried out a recipe the batgirl posted here...it turned out so yummy since I love spicey foods...the only con I have is that I don't usually stock white hominy in my pantry, but I think it will be a regular since hubby also liked it a lot...it made too much for two, but leftovers are welcomed in the cold weather! The biggest pro was that it only took one pan to make... Cheesy

I made that a few nights ago, and it was a hit! Served with rice, sour cream, and lime wedges.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Anyone have a couple extra felting needles? I'll trade for them!

Pinterest

Etsy shop
cinnamon teal
« Reply #102 on: February 13, 2013 12:50:47 PM »

Last night I made Chipotle Steak Salad. It was delicious! I'll definitely make it again. Mr. CT, in particular, absolutely loved it.

Changes: I didn't have any tomatoes, red onion, or cucumber so I just put the steak over some salad greens and added a little cilantro. I marinated the steak overnight instead of just an hour. Also, she tells you to make a ridiculous amount of the chipotle dressing so I just estimated the proportions of peppers and mayo and I think I over did it a little. Next time I'll make it a little less spicy. Also, also, instead of grilling the steak, I seared it in a skillet and finished it in the oven.

Pros:
- super yummy
- pretty easy

Cons:
- recipe makes a veritable eff ton of chipotle mayo. but it would probably be awesome on burgers and other stuff.

Last week I made this Pan-Fried Chicken with Mushrooms. And it was ah-mazing! We'll make again, I'm sure. I love mushrooms... so yeah. (sorry about the picture. I forgot until I was halfway done. Tongue)

Changes:
I doubled it because the recipe is for just one. Also, I pounded the chicken to flatten it before pan frying so it would cook quicker and more evenly.

Pros:
- delicious mushroom sauce!
- pretty easy
- pretty quick

Cons:
- none I can think of
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yoopidou

« Reply #103 on: February 13, 2013 04:55:53 PM »

This pan-fried chicken with mushrooms looks absolutely delicious. I'm salivating right now...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jexxican

« Reply #104 on: February 19, 2013 05:38:43 PM »

So I've made a few things lately and haven't posted. Not all have pics but here's what I remember making:

Lentils and Sausage
I really like it but G didn't. My 6yo son loved it but then again he may have just eaten it so well because I promised him "Internet" Brownies afterward.

"Internet" (read: "Slutty" to everyone but my kids) Brownies

Can you believe I fell asleep while eating these? Yeah, and the kids went into super sugar shock! Typical, right? Super awesome, even better the next day after heated up in the microwave.

Spanish Chicken with Chorizo
This was pretty good but it's all in metric measurements. I ended up cutting it in half for my family. Not a diet friendly food! The chorizo was a little charred but other than that it was pretty scrumptious.

Loaded Baked Potatoe Casserole[/url[

OH SO GOOD! OM NOM NOM NOM! Not diet friendly either.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.

It's much more fun, this growing down. -RIP Uncle Shelby-
trinalocakary
Arts and Crafts keep me sane

Crafting 'cause I can't help myself

« Reply #105 on: February 20, 2013 12:10:43 AM »

I was given a 22 pound turkey, frozen solid and since I don't have room for it to thaw for 4+ days I cooked it frozen...30 minutes a pound instead of 20, it really does works but then I am faced with the inevitable fact...I despise deboning turkey with a passion.
 I am taking off the easy stuff and sending the rest to our neighbor to pick clean
I have two big events coming up in march, I think the meat will go towards:

Crockpot turkey enchilada casserole  (also might make a shredded pork one)
And
Crockpot turkey lasagna in cream sauce (instead of red)

I will let you know how it goes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog http://artinmybag.wordpress.com/
50 projects for 2013 ... 15/50  (Individual items finished 15) http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=418274.msg4952976#msg4952976
50 projects for 2012 ... 85/50  (Individual items finished 200+)
hgddm

What a piece of work is man!

« Reply #106 on: February 20, 2013 08:12:41 PM »

Made this Tomato Soup with Ricotta Dumplings tonight and it was delish! Would definitely make again...

THIS ROCKS   Logged

meleriffic
Global Moderator
Clothing Moderator
Toys, Dolls, & Playthings Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: February 21, 2013 07:59:59 AM »

That looks and sounds yummy. I may have to try it out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Smeddley

« Reply #108 on: February 23, 2013 10:40:54 PM »

I volunteered to cook for a friend's birthday party, and she loves Greek food, so I had a go at it!  Everyone says they loved everything, and while I didn't get pictures of it all (I finished cooking as they were arriving and by the time they left the food was gone!) here are the recipes:

Garlicky Eggplant

2-3 Eggplants
1/2-2/3 C Olive Oil
8-10 cloves garlic
4-5 large tomatoes
3 Tbsp sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar (note: I had neither, I used white wine vinegar)

Slice eggplant in 1/2" thick rounds.  Salt, and place in a colander to drain (place a plate and weight on top) for 1 hour.  Rinse and pat dry. (note: I totally skipped this step, as I don't know how I can place anything in a round colander to drain, especially with a plate on top?)  Heat 2-3 Tbsp olive oil in a skillet over med heat and brown eggplant on both sides.  Drain on paper towels.

Preheat oven to 350*F.  Heat 2 Tbsp oil in another skillet and cook the garlic over medium heat until soft.  Grate the tomatoes, add to pan and season with salt and pepper.  Add the vinegar.  Simmer, uncovered for 10 minutes.  Lightly oil a 10" square baking dish, layer eggplant slices and sauce, ending with sauce.  Bake 40-45 minutes.

Stuffed Little Meatballs

1 lb ground beef
1/2 C unsalted butter
1 egg
1/2 C chopped parsley
1/2 C grates kefalotyri cheese (note: later a recipe said "or parmesan", so I used parmesan  later recipe also spelled this cheese differently)
2 hard-boiled eggs
3-4 anchovies (not in oil) (note: all anchovies are packed in oil. I used anchovy paste)
2 slices Canadian Bacon (note: I used ham - it's basically the same thing?)
1 scant tsp curry powder
1 C dry red wine
1 C chopped tomatoes
1 tsp sugar
Olive Oil
Flour
Salt

Mix ground beef, melted butter, egg, parsley, cheese and salt and refrigerate for 1 hour.  In a small bowl, crush eggs, anchovies, bacon, and curry to a pulp.  Form beef mixture into meatballs and hollow out a cavity in the center to fill with paste.  Close securely.  Dredge meatballs in flour and fry in 1" of oil in a heavy skillet.  (note: I did forget to dredge)  Drain on paper towels.  Mix wine, tomatoes, and sugar in a pan with 1/2 C oil, bring to a boil.  Add meatballs and simmer for 10 minutes.

Corn and Cabbage Soup

3 C shredded cabbage
1/2 C olive oil
2 large red onions, chopped (note: I only used about half an onion)
6-8 C chicken stock
3/4 C cornmeal
salt and pepper

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and blanche the cabbage.  Drain cabbage.  Heat oil in skillet and cook onion until wilted.  Add cabbage and cook approx 8 minutes.

In a large soup pot, bring 6 C chicken stock to a boil.  Slowly add the cornmeal and stir to avoid clumping.  Simmer until thick and creamy, but still liquid.  Add the sauted vegetables and simmer for another 10 minutes.  If soup is too thick, add up to another 2 C of chicken stock.  Salt and pepper to taste.

Dolmades (grape leaf thingees)

35-40 Good vine leaves
1 red onion, peeled (note: again, I only used about half an onion)
9 oz wild or cremini mushrooms (note: or, you know,  just the regular button mushrooms you can get everywhere)
1 carrot, peeled
7 ounces zucchini
3 large tomatoes
about 1/4 C olive oil
1/2 C medium-grain rice
3 Tbsp chopped Italian parsley
1/2 Tbsp dried mint
juice of 1 lemon
salt and freshly ground pepper
3 Tbsp shredded kefalotiri or parmesan cheese

If using store bought leaves, put them in a bowl of water to soak for a few minutes.  Drain and pat dry.  Using the large holes in the grater, grate the onion, carrot, zucchini, and 2 tomatoes, keeping them separate.  (note: I messed up and grated all three tomatoes into the mixture) Heat 3 Tbsp of oil in a wide pot and saut the onion until golden.  Add mushrooms, carrot, zucchini and rice and saut for 10 minutes or so.  Add the grated tomato, parsley, mint, and lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.  Simmer for 5 minutes.  Remove from heat and stir in the kefalotiri.

Preheat the oven to 350*F.  Wrap the filling in the grape leaves and place rolls in a baking dish.  Grate the remaining tomato over the top and add one cup of water and drizzle the remaining oil.  Bake, covered, for 1 hour.  Uncover and bake for another 10 minutes. (note: I forgot the water. It was late, I was exhausted...)

Lahanodolmades (Cabbage Rolls)

3 1/2 pound savoy cabbage
7 ounces ground pork
7 ounces ground beef
1 C medium grain rice
1 large onion, grated
14 oz can crushed tomatoes
1/4 C chopped Italian parsley
1 tsp sweet paprika
4 lemons
salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 Tbsp butter
1/4 C olive oil
4 eggs

Boil cabbage leaves until soft.  Mix together pork, beef, rice (uncooked), onions, tomato, parsley, paprika, and the juice of one lemon.  Season with salt and pepper.  Roll filling in cabbage leaves, place in a large pot, drizzle with butter and pour in enough water to cover the rolls.  Cover, bring to a boil, and simmer for 40 minutes.  Whisk eggs and the juice of the remaining 3 lemons and a little salt and pepper in a bowl.  Whisk in a cup of the hot cooking liquid to acclimatize the egg, add to pot.

Traditional New Year's Bread

8-10 C flour
3 C sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
8 eggs
1/2 C olive oil
1 C warm water
1/3 C ouzo

Combine flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder.  Form a well in the center and add eggs, olive oil, water, and ouzo.  Mix until combined, then kneed until silky, adding more flour as needed.  Form into a ball and let rest for 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 400*F.  lightly oil a 18"x3" round pan.  Roll dough out to the circumference of the pan on a lightly floured surface.  Dough shouldn't be more than 1" thick.  Fit into pan and sprinkle the top with sesame seeds or almonds.  Bake for 45-50 minutes.

Olive Oil and Walnut Shortbread cookies
(note: mine were Olive Oil and Almond Shortbread cookies)

2 C olive oil
2/3 C sugar
1/3 C ouzo
1/2 tsp baking soda dissolved in 2 Tbsp lemon juice
1 C chopped walnuts (note: I used almonds)
zest of 1 lemon
1 tsp cinnamon
4-5 C flour
powdered sugar for dusting

Preheat oven to 350*F  Whip oil and sugar until smooth.  Add ouzo and dissolved baking soda and mix well.  Add walnuts, zest, and cinnamon.  Add flour in increments and mix until smooth.  Line lightly greased cookie sheets with parchment paper and mould dough into unshelled walnut-sized oblong balls.  Make until lightly brown, 10-12 minutes.  Cool on a wire wrack, dust with powdered sugar.

And, last but not least, a link the THE MOST AWESOME cupcake recipe (Irish Car Bomb Cupcakes,m specifically requested): http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2009/01/car-bomb-cupcakes/
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sera unravled
« Reply #109 on: March 02, 2013 12:10:42 PM »

bacon ranch mac and cheese

1/4 cup of butter
1/4 cup flour
2 cups milk
ranch dressing
bacos
salt and pepper
1/2 pound of elbow macaroni

Make macaroni according to directions set aside

in a big pot melt butter, whisk in flour.  Slowly whisk in milk, whisk until thick.  Add a couple of squirts of ranch dressing. add salt and pepper to taste. add bacos.  Add macaroni and enjoy.

Verdict:
Very good I make this all the time except I leave out the Bacos and add onion powder, I actually have some in the fridge right now.

Creamy tomato and Tortellini soup

http://www.plainchicken.com/2012/11/creamy-tomato-tortellini-soup.html

Verdict:
I love this soup!!! My husband doesn't like tomato soup so I get it all to myself! Smiley I make it once a week.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Cover Roots
How to Curl Long Hair
How to Cover Bald Patches for Women
How to Choose a Conditioner
Common Hair Braid Mistakes
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2
How to Make Tshirt Rugs

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...