A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 296,710
Currently Running With Scissors:
646 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Experimenting in the Kitchen Along  (Read 21314 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jexxican
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #130 on: May 21, 2013 06:16:55 PM »

Does anyone care about this thread anymore? 'Cause I'm still making stuff from my Pinterest and taking pics but if nobody cares then many I should quit? Anyway, here's what I have to share today:
AWESOME BREAD. That's right, ladies, I said it, AWESOME BREAD. At least, that's what it has been dubbed in our house. It's bread that's cut up and stuffed with cheese, bacon, and ranch-butter. Oooh... Only problem I had was that the ranch didn't just mix into the butter like it was implied so I didn't get it quite covered like in the link, but it was still pretty awesome.>>>LINK<<<

These, however, not so much. I was really excited for them but really yuck! I couldn't even finish mine. Disappointed. Pancake in a Jar

Lazy cake cookie were kind of Meh. I didn't like how gooey they still were when they came out of the oven but they were good like the day after when I heated them up a little, if that makes sense. G said something like they smell like a cake, look like a brownie and taste like a cookie. I don't know if I will make them again or not. It could be Duncan Hines. I've recently decided I don't like their products and this was made with one of their cake mixes.

This Peanut butter banana pancakes with Nutella syrup is one that I'm going to keep just for the syup recipe. I think the pancakes would have been better if I had mashed the bananas instead of leaving them as chunks like the recipe says. I also think it would have been better as waffles maybe? I may have to try that next time. The syrup was decent but really runny. I saved it in a bowl in the fridge and it has made the consistency better. I've been nuking it in the morning and spreading it thickish on previously frozen, toastered pancakes and it's pretty awesome. We've also been caught just scooping spoonfuls and eating it during the day.

The Mexican taco braid wasn't very Mexican but it was a hit. It called for prepackaged croissant dough which I happened to have for some reason and was the main reason I made it. It really was good. The crust kept surprising me every time I bit into it. Totally a keeper. ETA: Ooh, yeah, I forgot to put the cheese inside before I "braided" it and tossed it in the oven, so after it was in there for like 10 minutes I realized it and just covered it in cheese for the last 15 minutes. Still thought it was great.

Some I didn't get pics of:
Mexican stuffed chicken: Not bad. I do believe it will be made again. I don't think the "green chilis' she used in her photos were real green chilis, but whatever. Mine were so it's cool. Served with rice and a salad. Woo! Mexican rice would have been nice but G was having tummy issues so that didn't happen. Also, I was reading a book and didn't want to bother with the Mexican part of the rice.

Instant refried beans: Meh, if you don't have refried beans on hand but need some and happen to have dry beans and a grain mill, sure, it works. That's all I got for you. They weren't great but I don't think my dry beans were really in their prime. MAKES A LOT!

And that's all I think I have for you now. Anyone care? Anyone have anything to share themselves?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013 06:19:03 PM by jexxican » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.

It's much more fun, this growing down. -RIP Uncle Shelby-
Acadian Driftwood

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil

« Reply #131 on: May 21, 2013 07:21:58 PM »

Oh I have been bad about taking pictures, but I did make a few things!

Easy peasant bread: Was indeed easy, but not the kind of bread I was looking for. I think it was the extremely buttery crust, which reminded me of pizza crust. It would be great in other things - thinking of remaking it as focaccia.

Strawberry rhubarb crumb bars: Very tasty! I will make these again. I used frozen berries from last summer, and fresh rhubarb from the garden. However, I'm not sure they really work out in bar form - it's more like a coffee cake. You could eat it with your hands, it's just you'll probably get some on yourself.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Anyone have a couple extra felting needles? I'll trade for them!

Pinterest

Etsy shop
meleriffic
Global Moderator
Clothing Moderator
Toys, Dolls, & Playthings Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: May 23, 2013 08:20:18 AM »

Those all look and sound great. (Well the ones with positive reviews anyway.) I've been a slacker lately, and have been forgetting to take pictures. I'm going to have to figure out what I've made and at least post some links here, because the desserts have been great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
jexxican

« Reply #133 on: May 30, 2013 01:25:37 PM »

Nutella French toast roll ups, NOM!

I've also seen these stuffed with other stuff, like strawberries and cream cheese. Those sound rockin' too.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013 01:26:10 PM by jexxican » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

meleriffic
Global Moderator
Clothing Moderator
Toys, Dolls, & Playthings Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: May 30, 2013 02:37:24 PM »

Those look super yummy. I think I'm going to have to try those.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

« Reply #135 on: June 05, 2013 06:54:30 AM »

I am sorry that I have not taken pictures, but I have tried many of the things that got good reviews!  I am not much of a cook, so experimenting is not really my thing...I do love that I usually get good results from things that my craftster friends post...easy and delicious, not a lot of time, and not too many "have to go to the store again" ingredients...so yeah, I appreciate the posts...

I am very intrigued by the Mexican Taco braid...not the pancake in the jar... Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Smeddley

« Reply #136 on: June 16, 2013 12:06:12 PM »

I have not tried anything new in awhile, I've been sticking with my favorites because I've been so busy otherwise I don't have time to cook more if it ends up being awful!  But this weekend I decided I had to tackle one thing that's been on my list forever: caudle.

There are TONS of caudle recipes, from the very simple "wine and eggs" to the more complex.  I did not have wine, so I found one on my list that says you can sub liquor (I used brandy).

Okay, so maybe my heat was a little high, but I swear I stirred and stirred and stirred and it still ended up too thick and lumpy.  Maybe just one egg?  But still, the oatmeal...  anyway, after a few bites I realized it reminded me of a cross between flan and bread pudding, so I tossed in some raisins and it went from looking like cat vomit to looking like cat vomit with rabbit turds in it (um, sorry, but it's true!).

Taste-wise, it was very like a mix between bread pudding and flan, and about halfway through the dish I remembered that I really don't like flan, and am not a huge fan of eggs.  A few bites after that I thought that if I had to take one more bite, I wasn't sure I could choke it down.

So for me it was a huge fail, partly from bad cooking and partly because I really don't like flan.  If you are a flan fan and very patient at stirring over low heat, this might work out for you, though I still doubt it's use as a "drink" (to be fair, that page lists it as a drink OR a sauce for desserts, and I can definitely see it as the latter).

Maybe later I'll try the white wine and egg yolk version, when I work up the nerve again...
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013 12:07:38 PM by Smeddley » THIS ROCKS   Logged
jexxican

« Reply #137 on: June 18, 2013 08:30:29 AM »

http://www.favfamilyrecipes.com/2012/12/maple-bacon-monkey-bread.html
Maple Bacon Monkey Bread!
AWESOME! I used some of the "Artisan Bread in 5" Challah dough and I made it up the night before and left it in the fridge and baked it in the morning and it was so good. I think my balls were a little too big and I may have used too much syrup so it kind of fell apart when I dumped it from the pan, was it was still awesome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

- G. K. Chesterton

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

« Reply #138 on: June 19, 2013 11:36:39 AM »

I think I would love caudle...I love eggs, brandy, raisens, and flan/custard!

The monkey bread also looks yummy...

I made Japanese oshinko--basically, salted cabbage and pickles...I am going to make it again this weekend, so I will snap a few pics...it is not a meal, but I like it in the summer with plain white rice and maybe a piece of fish for a light dinner or lunch... Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Smeddley

« Reply #139 on: June 28, 2013 07:01:04 PM »

Chickpea and Lime cake anyone?  Anyone?  Anyone?

Yeah, I don't know why I thought this was a good idea, either.

Ingredients, with my helper, my Little Visitor Violet-Anne!

The finished "cake":

It didn't rise, it was kinda gritty, but it was pretty limey.  A few people said they liked it, but they're weird.  I thought it was... weird.  Not something I'd make again, but it was interesting to try.  If you want to be brave, the recipe is here:

http://www.food.com/recipe/unusual-chickpea-and-lime-cake-187090

(note it lacks a photo...)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Cook Barbecued Lime and Lemon Grass Pork
How to Cook Mini Lamb Satays
How to Cook Chinese Pancakes
How to Prepare a Thai Breakfast
How to Cook Thai Chicken with Coconut and Basil
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...