A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,857
Currently Running With Scissors:
807 Guests and 38 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 142
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 2013 Annual DeStash-Along (CLOSED)  (Read 133968 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lady4feet
« Reply #1330 on: November 24, 2013 04:55:02 PM »

stillatthetop -- I completely know what you are talking about.  Used to happen to me.  But then my Grandmother died and we found boxes of fabric, and then a whole dresser full that she never got to use, and I thought that was really sad.  What's the point in saving it if you never end up using it?  So I try to just use the beautiful stuff and plunge ahead.

I never really looked at it that way. I am normally in the mind set of why do I have this if I am not going to use it and it can get frustrating when I don't get a project done (or started for that matter). Good reminder that there is a reason I purchased/accepted the items so I should use my beautiful supplies why I can.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftsunderground
« Reply #1331 on: November 24, 2013 05:50:40 PM »

I agree dulcet. I was walking through an estate sale recently and in what was the person's sewing room I saw a bumper sticker that said "The one who dies with the most fabric wins." It was very sad and I left without buying anything. The woman obviously loved her fabrics, but now she was gone and other people were going through all of her things. If you buy something because you love it, then enjoy it--and use it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Teesha Moore inspired patches--anyone want to swap?
suereal
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Im not crazy about reality, but its still the only place to get a decent meal-Groucho Marks

Only the curious have something to find.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1332 on: November 24, 2013 07:04:17 PM »

Well...I get what you guys are saying...but with fabric in particular it can be hard.  It's designed to MAKE you want/need to buy things each year.  Since the change the patterns every year, you have to buy the stuff when you like it, or you may never see it again.  The trick it to actually use it yes....but both my Mom and I have used fabric we have had for years in lots of projects.  Heck, I've used fabric that my grandma horded.  The trick is knowing what things you WILL use and what things your buying for prettyness.  Plus I also think the passing on of loved fabric is a gift in some ways.  Folks have given me yards and yards and yards of cool fabric that they just haven't gotten around to using or that isn't there style anymore.  Yes it's sad they didn't find a use, but they were also supporting there local fabric stores, which are in decline these days.  My Mom's town has had 4 quilt shops close in the last few years...maybe because folks are actually using there stashes and not buying new stuff Grin.

And then there is the quality issue.  There are tons of fabric made today that is not worth buying at all.  Like chince...it is super hard to find a modern chince worth buying in my HO.  But the ones made before the 80's rock.  I bought a bit at a yard sale once that I washed and it came out fine.  New stuff cracks, or the shine just washes out.  What is sad to me is when you find a retired stash that has to be tossed due to poor storage issues.  So, I feel a well tended stash is a gift to future folks and their craftyness, but a poorly kept stash is just landfill. 

A humble opinion from a third generation fabric horder Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To all past swap partners....If something I made you fell apart in some way, it would be helpful to me if you PMed me and told me about it.  Sometimes, I try new things, and if they fail, it helps me to know
vampedangel14

Easily craftstracted!

« Reply #1333 on: November 24, 2013 08:26:21 PM »

In regards to hording fabric, I'm lucky I don't have that problem. For those of you who do, what if you found a fabric you really like but don't think you'll ever use, what if you just get a fat quarter or something small like that and frame it? Then you have pretty 'art work' for your craft room and rest of the house?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stillatthetop
« Reply #1334 on: November 24, 2013 09:28:05 PM »

dulcet: I recently recieved a GIANT box from my uncle. Inside were wonderful crochet pieces that my Granny made, and several sets of embroidered pillow cases {never used}, and quilt tops {unquilted as of yet}. These were all items that Granny made, and just put in drawers and a cedar chest. Sad.

Many family members would have loved them in still her lifetime. I donated some to my church, and the battered women's shelter, and even gave a few pieces to my dental office. And I have a new adopted family, same last name, but not related. And Aunt Rosie...not a real aunt, but super sweet all the same...will be getting some, as well.

I kept the ones that I really like. And will USE!!!! Stuck in a drawer for millions of years does not make sense to me. I like to share and enjoy. Granny loved to craft, but would not part with anything. I am sure other family got similar packages. Granny made TONS of stuff. I know because I took her shopping for her supplies  Grin

Did I say that I like sharing? Yeah, I think I did  Wink

~T
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wanting 6" x 6" I spy panels. For a quilt like this:
http://www.grammasbabystuff.com/I_Spy_-_Hill_3_Finished_Smaller.jpg
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson.
http://www.pinterest.com/topofthehill298/
suereal

Im not crazy about reality, but its still the only place to get a decent meal-Groucho Marks

Only the curious have something to find.

« Reply #1335 on: November 24, 2013 11:01:37 PM »

For me, the sad parts of stashes, is the crochet and tatting one sees at thrift stores.  SO many hours!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To all past swap partners....If something I made you fell apart in some way, it would be helpful to me if you PMed me and told me about it.  Sometimes, I try new things, and if they fail, it helps me to know
LadybugsAndBumblebees

View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: November 25, 2013 03:16:12 AM »

When I see those things at thrift stores, I often wonder who it belonged to, who made it, and if they were sad to see it go...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

« Reply #1337 on: November 25, 2013 06:08:02 AM »

We could revitalize this thread if anyone is up for using bits of yarn for scrappy hats and scarves...I am getting quite a collection myself and need to use it up...all of the hats I make using these bits go to various shelters in our area...a mixed hat goes with everything! Grin

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=393763.msg4667196#msg4667196
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

« Reply #1338 on: November 25, 2013 06:14:36 AM »

Reading all of the posts made me very sad...I am sure that when I die, my family is going to wonder why I never finished the umpteen quilts I started...the scarves sitting in a basket...all of the fabric and yarn and supplies...I think I will spend some of the holiday weekend making plans for my favorites...and destash them before it is too late...

And, just in case, I do have provisions in my will as to what to do with my stash...Grin.  Maremare is getting all of my quilting fabrics.  I know she doesn't look at this thread so she won't be tempted to put an end to me before my time...and she lives far away... Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dulcet

hopscotch on bubble-wrap

View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: November 25, 2013 05:05:45 PM »

I do have to admit that probably 75% of my fabric stash was inherited.  So I wouldn't be able to sew nearly as much if somebody else hadn't hoarded.  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Scholars and artists...differ most importantly in the way their knowledge is come by.  Scholars get theirs with conscientious thoroughness along projected lines of logic; poets...stick to nothing deliberately, but let what will stick to them like burrs where they walk in the fields.
  -Robert Frost
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 142 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Watch, Pass, or Rent: Despicable Me, The Kids Are All Right, & Predators
How to Create New Sequences Quickly in Premiere Pro CS5
What Not to Do During an Acting Audition
Good Advice for Young Directors
How to Approach a Monologue in Acting
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...