A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,522
Currently Running With Scissors:
628 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 142
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 2013 Annual DeStash-Along (CLOSED)  (Read 150147 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Wulf
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Smalltacular is bestter.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: January 06, 2013 10:36:01 AM »

I know it seems strange to plan my art room around using it for parties but we have amazing and very respectful friends and we love being able to allow them to have birthday parties at our place, heck we have a fire pit we dug out back and we partly chose this place for that reason.  Also by having events I hope to be motivated to keep my art room organized.

It seems like a very good strategy to keep things from getting out of hand in the future. One of the reasons my work area is so bad is that it's literally in the farthest corner of the house and nobody but I ever, ever goes there. And taking off the closet door is a very good idea. I've done that to both bedroom closets in our house because they take up a lot of space. Yes, they do keep dust out of the closet, but if that's a worry, a curtain will do the same job and take up less room. (A clear shower curtain would be excellent for a closet door.)

The photographing and labelling process has already started to produce returns. As I was identifying things in the workspace photo, I noticed several storage areas where I really couldn't name what was in them. Either it was an unidentifiable mix of stuff (a red flag!) or there really wasn't much in there anyway. I'll try to remember to do before and after photos of some of those as I make progress. Just this morning, for example, doing a 20-minute UFYH session, I emptied a box that contained some blank file cards, a bag of coloured pencils, some crayons and chalk, and one mechanical pencil. That set me to gathering up all the scattered stashes of file cards around the house, and it was enough to almost fill the box back up. When I went to put the crayons and chalk where I used to keep that sort of art supplies, I found there wasn't anything there except some felt markers (mostly dried out), more mechanical pencils and leads, a wallpaper brush, and some quill pens. (This in a very large toolbox.) So I put the brush in the bin of painting equipment (I can almost remember why I once bought a wallpaper brush. It certainly wasn't for hanging wallpaper, I know that!), and started little stashes of mechanical pencils, ink pens, crayons, chalk, etc. in ziplock bags. I know I will find more of each of them as I keep going, and they could easily go into little boxes or bins somewhere. I don't really have a use for the large toolbox any more, so I'll give it away, but the shelf space it occupied is pure gold!

Oh, now I remember what the wallpaper brush was for: painting faux wood grain. I guess I could just get rid of it then, but since I've found a perfectly good place to store it, I probably won't.

One other thing I realized this morning, trying to work on a swap project between destashing sessions, is that I have way too many big boxes of mixed fabric scraps. (There are at least two more not shown in those photos.) I'm going to have to sort them by colour if they're going to be any use to me at all. Maybe that's next. I think just into clear bags for the time being, then into some type of bins when I've found space for them.

Wulf
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gaudiknight
« Reply #121 on: January 06, 2013 12:07:29 PM »

I'm loving everyone's pictures of their stashes and crafting areas.  My goal for the week is to do the same, but since my supplies are scattered throughout the house, it might take me a while.  But I want to document where I'm at now so I can keep track of my progress (or lack thereof) better.

Haven't managed to get much crafty stuff done at all this week.  Things were just a little bit too busy/stressful.  But I'm keeping up the calendar idea, and trying to do a little each day, even if its just a few rows of knitting, or five minutes of sorting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kookaloo_Starr

the best things in life aren't things!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: January 06, 2013 12:15:50 PM »

I've been crafting and not cleaning/de-cluttering today although what I've made can't be shared yet and barely used up anything!
I HAVE to make myself a half apron with big pockets for when I'm cleaning,I need pockets to stuff my rags and latex gloves in and loops on the side to hang my spray bottles. Its all in my head, it's just not coming out of my hands yet!   Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Use what talent you possess - the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best"

50 in '14
lovesclutter

Nothing is safe in its native form.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #123 on: January 06, 2013 05:51:51 PM »

I so understand. I'm on day 4 of an 8 day work schedule. I did get my pens, crayons, markers and paper sorted.

Wulf, you may want to hang onto the toolbox. I have a lot of old luggage, the small ones, with dividers, and put all jewelry making supplies in there. If I don't make something with jewelry I will have to donate it or sell it.

I am drawn to containers in any form. I have 2 beautiful hat boxes, one holds lace and one holds trim. Any time I pic up something I've already made a place for it goes in its container. Yes, even from picking up one piece of elastic and putting it in its container. May take more than January to get organized, but feeling so optimistic.

Glue sticks organized, glue gun sticks organized, stash for swap i'm working on, all materials present and accounted for.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
ScrappySue
Tutorial Contributor

Oh, not you. We named the monkey Jack.

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 07, 2013 12:32:46 AM »

well have had awesome decluttering day today. My sister came over and made her yearly cards and I destashed.
Quite a few things I had been wavering on went to her, and some to my daughter who called in.
A HUGE bag of fabric scraps for the friend new to sewing.
Two sewing machines to be donated to daughters school.
I posted some pics on face book which freed me of a quilt top to a friend, a giant thing of wool to another and two sets of Indian clothes to another.
I have gone through a stack of containers and emptied 4, which have gone off to other rooms.
A huge bag of rubbish.
And a box for the opshop.
Phew.
And doing while chatting made the whole thing more pleasant  Grin
S
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've started a wist!
http://wists.com/scrappysue
working on the Teesha Moore craftalong
Destashing the craft room
misskohaku
« Reply #125 on: January 07, 2013 12:41:49 AM »

After a whole lot of organizing and cleaning this week, my dorm room is finally organized (mostly...)! I usually always have a bunch of junk containers, but I have everything put away except for one basket of stuff and one bag of craft supplies. The only thing I actually destashed so far was a canvas board that I gave to my roommate who paints. Now that my floor is cleared up I can actually lay out and sort my crafting supplies, which I keep in 4 18 gallon bins under my bed and various bags/containers. I've also even managed to reorganize my supplies within the bins so that the yarns are all in individual bags and my other supplies aren't just thrown in.  Grin

I'm hoping to get all my supplies into the 4 bins, if possible 2 or 3, by the end of the semester. I also have several more 18 gallon bins in my family's storage unit... Yeah I really need to use up or destash.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #126 on: January 07, 2013 07:30:19 AM »

So many people made progress! I felt a bit left out. So I went and inventarized my cotton yarn stash, sorted it, put tags on the boxes and wrote down what I have. Nice result, but ouch, will I end up with a big inventory *nervously eyeing fabric stashes* Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
llisaredd
While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats. - Mark Twain

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #127 on: January 07, 2013 08:20:47 AM »

My stash has been organized over and over...but then I get into it and it gets unorganized. When it's time to put things away I just throw them in the general direction, or stuff them in a bag and throw it in the storage closet. So, yeah, I need to organize my stuff again too. It shouldn't take more than an evening or two I think. The thing I am NOT looking forward to is going through my paper things. When one makes inchies, one saves every tiny scrap of paper or ephemera. I used to think I was pretty good about not buying more stash. I told myself I could only buy something if I had a project in mind for it. Problem is, I have more projects in mind than time! If I didn't volunteer full time and go to school or have children, a husband, a house and pets to take care of, (and spend too much time on Pinterest and Facebook and playing silly iPad games) then maybe I'd get all those projects done. Maybe. Truth is, I really shouldn't buy any more supplies for anything until I've finished up some of those projects I have in mind.

So.....My in-laws gave me a gift card to Micheal's for my birthday. $50. And they were having a sale (they are ALWAYS having a sale). And I had a coupon for 20% off my entire order. Even sales items! What did I do? Well, I had to go on Sunday to get that 20% off. Had to. And I actually did pretty good with spending. I only bought 2 balls of sock yarn, and one skein of yummy wool for a headband. The rest was spent on boxes or jars for storage Cheesy Tonight, I will begin the organization process. I still have some money left on the card so if I need to get more storage supplies I will. I'll try to post pictures of before and after too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lovesclutter

Nothing is safe in its native form.

« Reply #128 on: January 07, 2013 08:53:13 AM »

Scrappy Sue, you made excellent progress. I'm inspired (almost) but I need my coffee. LOL I guess a bunch of us spend way too much time on the computer, me included.

misskoahaku? sp I would try to put as much as possible in clear containers so you can see it.  I have those storage tubs that are opaque and found quickly, they would just sit there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

« Reply #129 on: January 07, 2013 10:11:23 AM »

I feel so normal here...I am going to let go of any negative feelings imposed on me either by others or myself about my stash and my creative process...EMBRACING MY STASH!!  I know where most everything is, even if I have to dig for it...so that is good enough for me...I did throw out about 30 toilet paper rolls because I don't need to collect them now until I am ready for my project...there will be more...just like paperbags, cardboard, etc.

I am turning some of my ugly fabric stash into coiled bowls for the Sweat Shop Swap...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2014
123/150
PINTEREST
Will swap for art
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 142 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Animated Wallpapers in Gimp
How to Speed Up Videos Using Camtasia Studio
How to Create Water Droplets in Gimp
How to Make Animated GIFs in Gimp
How to Make Videos Look Old Using Windows Movie Maker
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...