A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,596
Currently Running With Scissors:
742 Guests and 35 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 142
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 2013 Annual DeStash-Along (CLOSED)  (Read 143662 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rottenlittleboys

Inspiration without application is moot.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: January 05, 2013 10:36:37 AM »

I particularly like the post about "How do I keep the place clean when no one will help?" This one particularly struck home for me.

Wulf

This post struck home for me too. I have decided that if I am the only one in my house that is as on board for making and keeping a clean home, then I have to do it myself. The balance of that is if you want me to make something or do something for you (from my stash or otherwise) you have to trade your time fixing/cleaning/building something for me.

It works. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kookaloo_Starr

the best things in life aren't things!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: January 05, 2013 10:43:57 AM »

Kaz I love the magnetic board you made, I think I might have to rummage about the kitchen and see what I can use to make myself one too  Grin

Ah as well as some physical and mental issues I'm also damned lazy & that's why my house is a mess. Hubby doesn't care one way or the other so it's down to me to set things to rights.He will help me if I bug him about it but I don't like to do that unless it's something I can't actually do for myself. The thing that put me off Flylady was the "get dressed in street clothes,shoes and do your hair"   Shocked then I wouldn't be ME!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Use what talent you possess - the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best"

50 in '14
kaz814
Cooking Moderator
Purses, Bags, Wallets Moderator
Reusing, Recycling, Recrafting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: January 05, 2013 11:09:33 AM »

Kaz I love the magnetic board you made, I think I might have to rummage about the kitchen and see what I can use to make myself one too  Grin

Thank you!  Smiley  I'm finding it very useful for keeping crafty receipts and such in one place.  (Not that I'll be buying a lot this year, though!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lovesclutter

Nothing is safe in its native form.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #113 on: January 05, 2013 12:15:22 PM »

Love the magnet board too. That is great. I have tons of magnets from the phone books to make small projects out of, and have actually made some for swap smalls, and having them in here instead of the fridge sounds like a great idea.

I think almost every larger city has a freecycle as was suggested. I go on there occasionally to give away stuff and Craigslist as well. I've had good results (mostly) from both sites.

I've been working a little (hour) at a time, and my swap project calls, but since I've been separating, I found all the supplies I was looking for.

I have hooks on my sewing table front and lets to hang my scissors and other tools. Got some fabric for charity, I can see 50% more of the floor.

Biggest bulkiest stash is fabric. Can anyone recommend a simple pattern for a top or skirt. I need to make people clothes, not just poppet stuff. Working in the days sometimes is much better.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
Wulf

Smalltacular is bestter.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: January 05, 2013 03:04:11 PM »

Freecycle is a really great idea here. I've given away stuff there before (and, I have to admit, acquired stuff too. Embarrassed) It might be just the place to unload a box or two of leather scraps that are too small to make anything out of.

Continuing with my inventory yesterday, I realized how much of my stash I inherited from my brother, over twenty years ago! It's not even that it has sentimental value, but that I know that if I needed it, I wouldn't know where to buy it now. That's unfortunately true of a lot of my stuff, and makes it hard to get rid of. For instance, I have a roll of very heavy buckram left over from some long-forgotten prop project. The store where I bought it is no longer there, and it was the only place I've ever heard of that sold it. So now I have to keep it forever, in case I (or anyone I know) ever have a use for it again.

Love the magnet board too. That is great. I have tons of magnets from the phone books to make small projects out of, and have actually made some for swap smalls, and having them in here instead of the fridge sounds like a great idea.

I'm curious about the "from the phone book" part. This must be something that we don't get here. Are these advertising freebies?

Wulf
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wulf

Smalltacular is bestter.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: January 05, 2013 07:04:10 PM »

Okay, I've talked myself into posting photos. I'm not sure why I think it'll be useful to inflict this on you all, and I hope it doesn't seem like I'm trying to play "my stash is worse than yours" here, but I hope it'll be a useful step in my inventory process.

First is my "storage pod", which is a space about 8 ft. by 8 ft. in the basement beside the furnace. It's surrounded on three walls by ceiling-high shelves, with only a little passageway in. This is a composite photo showing the left and right sides.

Here it is again with most of the contents identified.

And this is my "work area", which is a space about 10 ft. wide by 12 ft. deep, in a corner of the basement. Again, this is a composite photo. (Sorry about the odd camera artifact across the middle of the left half.)

And with some labels added. There's a lot more here than I had room to identify. It looks like the right edge got cut off somehow - sorry!

Ugh! It's worse than I thought it'd be. Tongue

Suggestions are welcome.

Wulf
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cursive_queen
« Reply #116 on: January 05, 2013 08:01:04 PM »

You have some cool crafting supplies Wulf!  I bet swap partners fight over you
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Foxy Sam
« Reply #117 on: January 05, 2013 08:12:01 PM »

Love the "current usable bench area" I so know that feeling, though must admit your stack of boxes made me feel better about my one... Grin

Thinking this could be a great 'along' project group to join, will see if I can keep up destashing though, some things are just too lovely to throw out and too lovely to make anything with yet...until the right idea comes along.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HP Craftalong!
http://pinterest.com/foxysam/
You can check out some of my crochet projects on ravelry if you like:
http://www.ravelry.com/projects/FoxySam
Am interested in personal swaps...pm me
I now have a blog please feel free to visit and see my creations:
http://samscraftycreations.blogsp
trinalocakary
Arts and Crafts keep me sane

Crafting 'cause I can't help myself

« Reply #118 on: January 06, 2013 07:53:17 AM »

We had the party and the Tea Room (lounge in my temporarily emptied out art room) was a huge success and it has made me determined to use every bit of space in the closet and come up with a way to cover it during parties (we removed the folding doors as they wasted a lot of the usable space) so I want to use some of my material and possibly grommets and cupboard hooks to make a removable curtain.
This is the closet right now minus the mess in front of it

I intend to replace the wide rolling carts with a solid set of my thinner ones without wheels and use the top shelf of the closet for plastic bins that can be lifted in and out. The drawers of the dresser will have divisions like shoe boxes and cardboard dividers
My existing bookcase and the chubby rack will be full of supplies (need to buy the boxes for it) and I will use some of the shelves in the garage for items I seldom use, tools I would most likely use out there anyway and the material (in large ziplocs) that I don't have a specific project for (those can go in drawers)
I will use the wide rolling carts and they can just be rolled in to our room which we close off anyway during parties.
I know it seems strange to plan my art room around using it for parties but we have amazing and very respectful friends and we love being able to allow them to have birthday parties at our place, heck we have a fire pit we dug out back and we partly chose this place for that reason.  Also by having events I hope to be motivated to keep my art room organized.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog http://artinmybag.wordpress.com/
50 projects for 2013 ... 15/50  (Individual items finished 15) http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=418274.msg4952976#msg4952976
50 projects for 2012 ... 85/50  (Individual items finished 200+)
lovesclutter

Nothing is safe in its native form.

« Reply #119 on: January 06, 2013 08:04:27 AM »

Okay, I've talked myself into posting photos. I'm not sure why I think it'll be useful to inflict this on you all, and I hope it doesn't seem like I'm trying to play "my stash is worse than yours" here, but I hope it'll be a useful step in my inventory process.

Wulf

So funny, my stash is worse than yours. Still laughing.

From what I have seen of your work, I can see saving all of that stuff. I see you save books for collage, and I do as well, and have 2 sets of encyclopedias for sending as extras for paper crafters. The anatomical overlays always go first. Plus they are interesting to pull down from time to time to see how we viewed the world in the 70's.

Phone books in this area have thin magnet sheets on them advertising lawyers, home repair and the like. I don't use phone books, but pull the magnets off. They are attached with this weird sort of glue balls that just pulls off.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 142 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Hoisin Chicken Wraps Recipe
Asian-Steamed Salmon Recipe
Asian-Style Poached Chicken Recipe
How to Make a Sriracha Side Dish with Bok Choy
A Tasty Sashimi Tuna Tostada Appetizer
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...