A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,579
Currently Running With Scissors:
747 Guests and 35 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 142
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 2013 Annual DeStash-Along (CLOSED)  (Read 150397 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Kookaloo_Starr

the best things in life aren't things!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: January 04, 2013 06:35:54 AM »

I spent ages on that cleaning blog this morning, avoiding actually cleaning but then we had a guy come round to talk to hubby about something and I went to clean the kitchen as I don't cope well with strangers in my house so it worked out well in the end, I didn't go and hide upstairs and I did actually clean up some space  Grin I'd forgotten I had worktops in one corner of the kitchen  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Use what talent you possess - the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best"

50 in '14
gaudiknight
« Reply #91 on: January 04, 2013 09:28:10 AM »

Trina - I swear by UFYH.  It really helps not only for the initial deep clean but for maintaining a bit of neatness afterwards.  I think it deserves a space on the "useful links" post way back on page 1.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #92 on: January 04, 2013 09:49:45 AM »

I agree---one day at a time...

I do have a spotless kitchen and master bedroom, but it is only because I got in the habit of cleaning them daily---it takes less than 1/2 hour instead of the gruesome hours for a marathon cleaning!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2014
123/150
PINTEREST
Will swap for art
nisforneville

N is for Neville who died of ennui

« Reply #93 on: January 04, 2013 10:12:24 AM »

The problem with my craft stash is that I don't have a craft room, so everything is piled up in my bedroom, which is small enough as it is. I've got all of the storage units that will fit already in my bedroom, so my only solution is to get rid of stuff, and I can't get rid of stuff I know I'll use, so it'll sit until I use it, haha.

I am making afghan squares to donate to charities, so that is helping me slowly work through my stash. I just need to not buy anything else.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Will do personal swaps, just ask!

http://www.pinterest.com/nisforneville/wishlist/
meowari
« Reply #94 on: January 04, 2013 12:26:44 PM »

As for dealing with cleaning and having physical and or mental health issues (depression makes it hard to motivate and the mess can make depression worse)
That is so true! It's like going around in a giant, messy, frustrating circle when you have depression. I know I'll feel better if I get everything organised, but it's been so hard to do anything about finding a starting point. That's why I'm so happy I found this thread!
I grew up in a household where my mother bought lots and lots of stuff at yardsales for both of us, confusing stuff with happiness. I could hardly move in my room and never really learned anything about cleaning or organising or even saying no to more stuff... It's so hard to change now, but I have to- my boyfriend and I are planning on getting married and starting a family within the next year or two and I don't want my kids growing up with stuff instead of happiness... I mean, my kids may be still be miserable, but by golly, it isn't going to be because I buy them stuff instead of paying attention to them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lovesclutter

Nothing is safe in its native form.

« Reply #95 on: January 04, 2013 01:07:28 PM »

That is a really good link, ufyh and I think I should read the whole thing. destashing will only come as I organize. It isn't hard not to throw stuff away, I just imagine doing so many crafts. I'm in the CR now and trying to finish a swap and get stuff moved.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
LadybugsAndBumblebees

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 04, 2013 03:17:32 PM »

I feel a bit better about buying that yarn this weekend while trying to destash.  Roll Eyes  I finished-for now-the blankets I was crocheting for charity, and decided to make scarves and hats for my students for next year's Xmas gifts.  I don't know if I'll have the same type of class or even be at that job next year, but I figure that if I am not there, I can always donate the scarves and hats.  I've been doing the scarves for my students for about two years now, and I'm always at a race in November to finish the last 5-10 scarves.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://Pinterest.com/LdybgGrl

You can call me Queen Bee!
Or, Ladybug Girl, if you'd prefer.
lovesclutter

Nothing is safe in its native form.

« Reply #97 on: January 04, 2013 03:54:48 PM »

Went back to ufyh and realized this girl is only 20. She should have the physical energy to have done this already. I've been collecting for a long time and at her age, the only mess I had was the bed. With some help I could accomplish these projects easily and wish I had the stamina. 20 on 10 off is what I have basically been doing, and I'm worn out.

I don't like that she implies we are lazy. I am but, I'm almost 3 times her age and also work for a living. I'm not spewing any dis-respect, I'm just saying we all have our own abilities, and it seems on a good day with a lot of coffee I could match her.

Moral of the story, don't feel guilty at all. Embrace your craftiness, which apparently she is not into. Let us keep re-purposing our stuff. We feel better for it. I worked in here about an hour total today sorting the tiny stuff and planning on the organization and started the donate box down here.

Definitely going over to the givers and needers. Fabric is piling up and that is my biggest hoard.

Peace out. Just at an age where I can be candid and tell it like I see it. (The funny thing, my deceased Dad's column was titled, "The way I see it." I come by it honestly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #98 on: January 04, 2013 05:08:51 PM »

Ruby,  what kind of boxes are those in your fabric and yarn archive?  

They're vegetable boxes from local supermarkets. They're given away for free.
They're very sturdy - you can see how many you can stack and they hold up each other's weights very well. I put labels and numbers on them, but I mostly only use the numbers and keep a list of the contents.
The only minus is that the red ones have the store's logo on them, and it would be cooler not to advertise while crafting, and if you want protection from dust, you additionally need to pack things in plastic bags.

Something about those boxes is strange.
The kind of people who gape at one's book shelves, asking "did you really read all those?" will gape at a numbered, catalogized archive and make about every stupid comment in the world, usually a variety of "do you really need all those?" and "well, I don't have time to craft (and therefor, neither should you)" or "well, I don't need so many cardboard boxes (and therefor, neither should you)."
I often have a feeling that the well-sorted parts of my stash enrage people a lot more than the stray plastic bags that I of course also have. That's why I think it's not about the stash at all, but about personal issues, and craft envy.
Which of course makes me love my boxes even more Wink
So, just the thought of someone in this thread looking at the boxing system and getting how it works makes me very happy!

@lovesclutter, that's why I always have mixed feelings about people trying to be motivational. "You can do better than this" when they have no idea who I am or where I'm coming from, yeah, it sounds like "what you're doing now is not really so cool you know". I know lots of people love motivational sites or speeches for the emotional quality and it's probably not something one should overthink, but I can't help it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fishstix43

Crafting is a state of mind.

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 04, 2013 05:30:10 PM »

Well, if it helps, I was totally asking because I think they look both cool and functional.  If I ever get an actual room, I will definitely be trying those out, and I am even more impressed that they're actually catalogued!  It sounds like you're already doing a great job ignoring the haters, but I agree that they're all secretly jealous.   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 142 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Baby Cap Part 5/13
How to Crochet a 10 Chain Ruffle Border
How to Crochet a Baby Cap Part 10/14
How to Crochet a Baby Cap Part 2/13
How to Crochet a Baby Cap Part 1/13
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
Are You Ready For Some Football?
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...