A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,061
Currently Running With Scissors:
633 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 142
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 2013 Annual DeStash-Along (CLOSED)  (Read 133017 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Craftygoodness
« Reply #620 on: February 27, 2013 10:52:41 PM »

Thanks for welcoming me to your craft a long, it is the last day of Feb here and I didn't get my cross stitch finished, but I am close! A tummy bug put me out of action for today but I am feeling a little better now so will get back to it tonight. Here is a work in progress shot anyway Smiley

Sorry about the quality of the photo, my camera has just decided to break so I had to use my phone ;(
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013 10:53:28 PM by Craftygoodness » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

"this kid is driving me craaaazy!"-Robert Munchs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #621 on: February 28, 2013 05:22:35 AM »

that's an awesome cross stitch!! where did you get the pattern?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #622 on: February 28, 2013 06:16:07 AM »

That is such a cute sampler!  I am sure that Mario Brother fans are squeeing!! (Squeee)  Hope you feel better!  So much illness this year...nasty bugs!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fishstix43

Crafting is a state of mind.

View Profile
« Reply #623 on: February 28, 2013 08:20:17 AM »

February was kind of a bust for getting any big projects completed, but the I realized everything I did do was from stash.  I made 2 fabric infinity scarves from pieces left over from other projects, one muslin from stash fabric, and started using up some stash yarn when I ran out of the original yarn for a crochet blanket (mostly because I know the recipient won't care about the color change).  More importantly, I spent $0 on supplies this month.  So even if I'm using it up slowly, I'm at least not replacing it.   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dulcet

hopscotch on bubble-wrap

View Profile
« Reply #624 on: February 28, 2013 12:42:06 PM »

So I have a question for everybody.  At least half of my stash is inherited-- from both my Grandmas, my husband's Grandma, and my Mom.  Love it.  But sometimes when I get out an older piece of fabric to use... it's got a smell.  Not from smoking, or pets.  To me it smells old, kind of like dust.  (Most of the people I mention it to just look at me funny.)  And of course it gets stronger if I have to iron it.  But I have the perfect piece of black brocade (which I simply cannot find at a store) and it's driving me crazy trying to figure out how to get the smell out.  In the past I've tried, washing, drying outside in the sun and breeze, and soaking in a vinegar rinse.  None of those have worked.  Any other ideas?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Scholars and artists...differ most importantly in the way their knowledge is come by.  Scholars get theirs with conscientious thoroughness along projected lines of logic; poets...stick to nothing deliberately, but let what will stick to them like burrs where they walk in the fields.
  -Robert Frost
bookstorebabe

Girl Genius! Kaja&Phil Foglio

« Reply #625 on: February 28, 2013 01:01:15 PM »

Hmm...maybe try letting it soak with baking soda, and washing it again? I hope someone has a good answer for you!

I added to my stash, but in a small way. The lost and found at work was full of old sets of unidentifiable keys that had been there for at least a year, and I asked if I could have them when it was time to clean it out. (periodically unclaimed things either go to the Goodwill or are trashed). So now I have a bag of keys! I used one to make a fancy pin for my last swap package, and plan to make a bunch more!
My problem isn't really too much of a stash. Having a stash handy is what lets me join swaps, make presents, ect. It's that it's so unorganized and out of control. I know I have some things I'll never use that need to be thinned out. But when it's such a mess, I end up buying duplicates to replace what I can't find sometimes, and that's ridiculous. And when I only have so much money and room, it makes sense to be picky about what I get in the first place. Plus, when I am lucky enough to score a windfall of supplies someone's giving away, I need to have room for them.
I don't post a lot here, but I'm following along and getting good ideas. And I love seeing what everyone's made!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you're going to go for tech that doesn't exist,think Willy Wonka,not Hoover!" Firefairy@ craftster
http://StudioLTD@etsy.com. Coupon code craftster,10%
http://www.pinterest.com/studioltd60/
craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #626 on: February 28, 2013 01:14:58 PM »

You know what works great for odours? Kitty litter. No kidding, I unmustified an old tweed suitcase with a container full of unscented non-clumping litter when baking soda failed to cut it. Put a little into a paper bag with your fabric, fold over and clip closed, leave for a week or two, then launder. Took the stank right outta that case for me, it was GREAT!

I haven't had time to check out all the new posts lately, super busy with sick kids ack! But that cross stitch is just incredible. Really, the bomb. What a terrific craft.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
whatthepuck
I touched the Stanley Cup!!!!

« Reply #627 on: February 28, 2013 01:18:12 PM »

dulcet, I've never tried it on fabric, but putting things in the freezer helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

« Reply #628 on: February 28, 2013 01:41:19 PM »

I had a bunch of inherited stuff as well, including yarns and fabric...I sealed them in zip locks with old dryer sheets sprayed with Fabreeze...worked like a charm. I had to do it with non-washable stuff but I did not want to spray directly on the fabrics or yarn or sweaters!  I want to try the kitty litter thing as well!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #629 on: February 28, 2013 01:47:30 PM »

I am positively allergic to the chemicals in fragranced things, instant headache! So the descenting is the only option that works for me Smiley. The litter trick I read about for musty old books, I didn't think ANYTHING would get the stink out of those but apparently it works in the paper bag. When looking it up I came across that solution for old suitcases too. Those are two notoriously smelly old things, ha. Good thing to have found a remedy, musty smell also gives me a headache. Oh, I amjust ever so delicate and sensitive, la. *SNORT* Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 142 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
A Lesson in Paper Cutting
How to Make Paper Cutting Art
The Art of Paper Cutting
A Lesson in Glass Blowing
How to Make Glass Products
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Amigurumi
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...