A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,147
Currently Running With Scissors:
621 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 2013 Annual DeStash-Along (CLOSED)  (Read 133927 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Antidigger
« Reply #1400 on: January 01, 2014 03:40:16 AM »

I have de-stashed more than I've posted, but not really that much. Work responsibilities have really got in the way of what I like doing. Oh well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1401 on: January 01, 2014 10:09:44 AM »

I did some final destash last night as we waited for the various New Year things drop...in our area, Harrisburg drops a strawberry and Hershey raises a big Hershey Kiss! Grin  We also have a Wrench drop, a pickle drop and a rose drop...

Anyway, I purged all of my sewing patterns...they filled a large black trash bag for recycling. Glad to be rid of them...most were from the 1980's---big old wide shoulders and slim skirts...ugh...

Here is to a fresh new start in 2014!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kookaloo_Starr

the best things in life aren't things!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1402 on: January 01, 2014 10:38:15 AM »

I've done the same with my patterns today  Smiley it feels good!

I also started using up the last of my Caron SS yarn,I have about 7 almost full skeins and some oddments.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Use what talent you possess - the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best"

50 in '14
fishstix43

Crafting is a state of mind.

View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: January 01, 2014 11:10:39 AM »

It probably says something about my pattern hoarding that hearing about all those patterns going away just makes my heart hurt.  Even the terrible looking ones are often based on good bones and you can make cool stuff by looking past the pattern picture.  But I totally understand that there's not a lot of options to do with used ones in a lot of places.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make all things!!

« Reply #1404 on: January 01, 2014 11:49:47 AM »

I have used them so much that the tissues are pieced together with tape that is now brittle...I saved all the "classic" ones that can be modernized with newer fabrics, but in all honesty, I am not that interested in sewing clothes any more...with fabric costs going up, buying clothes is really a lot less expensive for me. I also had a lot of jackets and business clothes patterns...I mostly wear jeans and t-shirts to work now.  I would offer the patterns to you if I thought they were in good shape, but they are not Sad
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014 11:50:12 AM by alwaysinmyroom » THIS ROCKS   Logged

dulcet

hopscotch on bubble-wrap

View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: January 01, 2014 12:39:19 PM »

One last UFO that got finished yesterday.  It was a practice/toile/prototype six years ago.  It's been sitting around just needing neck facing, zipper and hems.  Hopefully it'll fit my niece.

So my goal for 2013 was to finish one UFO each month.  I missed two months: May because I was concentrating on ballet costumes for the performance, and October because I was making Halloween costumes.  But I finished a total of 20 projects!  I'm thrilled!  Thanks everybody for making this such a great destash-along!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Scholars and artists...differ most importantly in the way their knowledge is come by.  Scholars get theirs with conscientious thoroughness along projected lines of logic; poets...stick to nothing deliberately, but let what will stick to them like burrs where they walk in the fields.
  -Robert Frost
fishstix43

Crafting is a state of mind.

View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: January 01, 2014 12:57:47 PM »

always, I really do understand, I don't want to make anyone feel bad about getting rid of them.  Smiley  I am super hard on patterns, so most of mine are really unusable to anyone besides myself and I will probably have to toss them if I ever get rid of them. I know everyone on here is really good about sharing/swapping/freecycling supplies because no one wants to see them go to waste.   Yeah, sewing your own clothes really is not the economic option, so I wouldn't expect anyone to do it unless they enjoy doing it. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lady4feet
« Reply #1407 on: January 01, 2014 04:06:22 PM »

dulcet I love that color! Congrats on the amount of UFO's you finished up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1408 on: January 01, 2014 04:52:18 PM »

I never cut an actual pattern, we learned in school to trace everything on tracing paper and alter and cut that.
Those old patterns make excellent wrap for fragile stuff, you can donate them to the thrift store to wrap up the glass items they sell. They make for really neat collages and modge podge too.
Not that I want you to hold onto stuff you're ready to part with or anything, I'm not an enabler, I'm not I'm not I'm not!

Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make all things!!

« Reply #1409 on: January 02, 2014 06:41:17 AM »

craftylittlemonkey. ..oh I am so glad you posted that!!!  I have a bunch of china that I am going to donate...I can use the larger pieces that are still useable to wrap the china!!  I am so glad that recycle day is Tuesday...when I get home I am going to dig them out of the recycle bin in the garage!

dulcet--what a lovely dress...I love princess seams...so flattering!

fishstix--the reason I post a lot of things is to get alternative ideas and opinions...I think sometimes that we think we have no other options but then you guys come up with ideas I can use...I did pull out three patterns that I thought I could trim down to fit me...I am going to keep my pattern stash to one file cabinet drawer only...I had boxes and boxes before...remember that I have been sewing since 1969! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Your Own Clay
How to Make Your Own Disco Ball
How to Find Glass Blowing Classes
How to Find Glass Blowing Jobs
How to Rent a Glass Blowing Studio
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete
Mmm, Bacon!
Meatless Monday: Marinated Pasta Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...