A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,509
Currently Running With Scissors:
569 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Quality Street costume  (Read 1376 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bekibutton
« on: December 29, 2012 02:40:07 PM »

I don't know if Quality Street chocolates are sold anywhere else other than the UK, but if not, they're a quintessentially Christmassy selection of foil and cellophane wrapped chocolates in an octagonal purple tin. For my office Christmas party this year, the theme was 'Christmas' so instead of going as an elf or a reindeer or something similar, I decided to mix it up and go as Quality Streets! But, I didn't want to go as one particular chocolate, or the octagonal tin, so I decided to go as all of the chocolates!

Instead of using actual chocolates on my costume (thereby running the risk of melting and even theft of the chocolates by my greedy colleagues) I got my dad to carve foam into the same shapes as the chocolates, wrapped them in ordinary household foil, and then wrapped them in cellophane wrappers from actual Quality Streets (I've been hoarding them for years, mostly because they're brightly coloured and shiny Wink )

I made a headdress:

And a necklace with a Quality Street logo for the avoidance of all doubt as to what I was supposed to be:

And managed to find a dress in exactly the right shade of purple on eBay and stitched some of the fake chocolates to it:

More indepth info and pictures on my blog if you're interested Smiley

Hope you like it!

Becki
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012 03:13:29 PM by bekibutton » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I was gonna take over the world but got distracted by something shiny

beckybutton.wordpress.com
beckybutton.etsy.com
tiffi_333
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012 09:25:37 PM »

those are the best christmas chocolates ever! We have them here in canada, so im sure the states as them as well. I really like that you chose to go as chocolates instead of the typical elf etc...im sure there was probably plenty of people dressed as those.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dustyfro
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013 01:14:38 PM »

Bahaha!  That's pretty sweet!  No, I don't think we sell Quality Street regularly in the US.  When I was in England, I saw an article about the liberties that people take with the dress code at the Royal Ascot, and one of the pictures had three women in colored dresses and hats that imitated Quality Street sweets.  It looked like they were wearing giant sweet wrappers on their heads!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Book reviews and blog:  http://froregon.blogspot.com
wists list: http://www.wists.com/froregon

Once you can accept the universe as being something expanding into an infinite nothing which is something, wearing stripes with plaid is easy. Albert Einstein
Greys Princess
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013 09:50:49 PM »

Not familiar with Quality Street, but I LOVE the costume! Anything colorful and candy-related gets my vote! Fantastic job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bekibutton
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013 01:11:36 PM »

Thank you for the lovely comments! Smiley

@dustyfro, I saw those Royal Ascot ladies as I was Google Image searching for Quality Street ideas and inspiration, their outfits were very impressive! They did help to inspire me a bit too.

@tiffi_333 I like to be a bit different when it comes to fancy dress and I figured that it was pretty much guaranteed that no-one would even have thought of this idea, let alone made it! There were a number of elves/Santas etc so it was nice to stand out a bit Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I was gonna take over the world but got distracted by something shiny

beckybutton.wordpress.com
beckybutton.etsy.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Short Ribs and Whipped Potatoes
Fall Pork Tenderloin Recipe With Apple Cider Reduction
How to Make an Open-Faced Grilled Cheese Sandwich
How to Make a Garlic Chicken BLT
How to Make a Sushi-Inspired California Roll Burger
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...