A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 300,921
Currently Running With Scissors:
664 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How to know which shows are best?  (Read 2324 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

xdm
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2013 02:42:33 PM »

The term "fills up quickly" is a scam to get vendors signing up out of some fear there won't be any spaces left. As soon as I see that on an application, it goes in the circular file as that's the first indication they don't know what they're doing.

Thanks for that tip ! As I'm a newbie, I don't want to be the ginea pig for craft show organizer newbies too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

xdm aka pnh aka......... Kip. www.pnhsews.weebly.com
shadojake
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2013 03:10:56 PM »

The term "fills up quickly" is a scam to get vendors signing up out of some fear there won't be any spaces left. As soon as I see that on an application, it goes in the circular file as that's the first indication they don't know what they're doing.

Thanks for that tip ! As I'm a newbie, I don't want to be the ginea pig for craft show organizer newbies too!

Though I have been doing craft shows a year, I am still learning how to make things better, set up more quickly, make the booth look better, etc.  One thing I've learned is to go with more established craft shows.  Like you, I don't want to be someone else's guinea pig.  I know they have to start somewhere but not with me.  Cheesy

I have made a personal decision not to go to the "craft fairs" or flea market style where whatever is allowed.  In particular I am applying to those who have only crafts & food & excludes b/s merchandise.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

God Bless,
Cindy

Given enough coffee, I could rule the world!
Chris in VT
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2013 04:28:10 PM »

You will be looking for "juried' shows. That can be a two edged sword. What is the jury looking for? Many times it's just to make sure no B/S is allowed. But someone will always lie and get in anyway. So always be prepared to see it at every show you do. 90% of the promoters will not eject the offenders.

As the shows go up in prestige the jury looks for quality of the work. So the pros have professional photographers take the jury photos.

Also real juried shows don't cost $50.  They can run upwards of $250 to $600 for a weekend. And you get the proverbial 10x10 space with two chalk marks on the floor and a plug if you paid the extra $50 for electricity. Note: ALWAYS pay for power and bring lights!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's NOTHING at a craft show, or on Etsy, anybody NEEDS. NOTHING.
www.shadypinestudios.com
shadojake
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2013 05:26:49 PM »

You will be looking for "juried' shows. That can be a two edged sword. What is the jury looking for? Many times it's just to make sure no B/S is allowed. But someone will always lie and get in anyway. So always be prepared to see it at every show you do. 90% of the promoters will not eject the offenders.

That is true that it can be a two edged sword and knowing what they are looking for.  I don't know anyway to keep people from lying to get in.

As the shows go up in prestige the jury looks for quality of the work. So the pros have professional photographers take the jury photos.

I have not had professional pics done.  I have 200+ products and it would be quite expensive to have all that photographed, even in groupings ... especially when I add new products on a regular basis.  I use my digital camera and a flash and make sure it comes out with enough light but not over lit.  I can also use my photo correction in my photo program which helps color correction and to straighten the photograph, if needed.

Also real juried shows don't cost $50.  They can run upwards of $250 to $600 for a weekend. And you get the proverbial 10x10 space with two chalk marks on the floor and a plug if you paid the extra $50 for electricity. Note: ALWAYS pay for power and bring lights!

I know what you mean.  I have not been in any 2 day shows, only 1 day shows.  They cost me about $150.  I know of some 2 day events are in the $250 range that I may apply for next year.  I only know about the shows I've done in Louisiana.  Mostly what you get is what you described ... chalk marks on the floor or stakes in the ground.  Electricity is always extra.  Nothing is provided.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

God Bless,
Cindy

Chris in VT
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2013 04:02:55 AM »

Don't photograph every item, just a representative sample of your work.

Usually juries want 3 photos of your work and one of your display. We have been known to set up the display in the driveway in march here in Vermont, and as soon as we get it photographed, we hurry to tear down as a snowstorm is coming. As we look back on some of our display photos, we can see 3 feet of snow in the background.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's NOTHING at a craft show, or on Etsy, anybody NEEDS. NOTHING.
www.shadypinestudios.com
shadojake
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2013 05:56:39 AM »

Don't photograph every item, just a representative sample of your work.

I have photos of everything I make so when orders are placed I can remember what I need to do ... I make custom coasters but have a LOT of designs people can pick from.  Most people just pick from designs I already have.  But none of the photos are professionally done.

Usually juries want 3 photos of your work and one of your display. We have been known to set up the display in the driveway in march here in Vermont, and as soon as we get it photographed, we hurry to tear down as a snowstorm is coming. As we look back on some of our display photos, we can see 3 feet of snow in the background.

LOL That is funny about the snow.  For photos of the product, I just print copies of however many they require, usually 3.  For photos of my booth set up I have taken photos of my booth actually set up at a craft show.

I will be applying to a show that requires a photo of the artist/craftsperson actually working on their product.  Will have to get dh or dd to get that for me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

God Bless,
Cindy

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw a Lion
How to Draw an Eagle
How to Draw a Horse
How to Draw a Crocodile
How to Draw a Dove
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...