A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,117
Currently Running With Scissors:
532 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 37
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: OWS rounds 90-92 Discussion thread :D  (Read 29187 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

katpac
« Reply #280 on: March 13, 2013 05:43:18 AM »

I am so annoyed at the post office! Plaidpinapple's package should have been delivered yesterday but is still sitting in a sorting facility.  I'm sorry it's taking so lng to get to you. :,(
THIS ROCKS   Logged

plaidpineapple
« Reply #281 on: March 13, 2013 06:42:01 AM »

No worries, we can only control so much.  I am sure it will arrive safely if not speedily  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

littlefawnpug
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Formally known as missmoppet

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #282 on: March 13, 2013 07:45:32 AM »

I too am maxed out on my claims.  It seems we are all having fun claiming.  Course, dont we always? 

I have a question for you all.  We are having so many poeple knocking on our door trying to sell us things.  If I dont answer the door after they ring the door bell then, they knock, if we still dont answer they knock again,  and if we still dont answer then they come back later!  I am so irked-Im not going to buy a $5 dollar box of cookies when I can buy 2 boxes at the store for less then that.  No, we dont want to spend tons on Avon products, no we dont want tickets, no no no!  We are stuck with a stupid house payment for a house we dont live in anymore because the poeple who were suppose to help us sell it(its out of state) have not made any attemps to sell it.  So, I sure as heck dont want to spend money that we are trying to save, to spend it on door to door people(kids or adults) selling things.  I need a crafty 'no solicting' sign to  put outside.  Hubby doesnt want to come across as rude or tacky-so does anyone have any nice ideas?  I was thinking of trying to make one, and if my attempt fails to look nice I was thinking of adding one to my ows  list.  But Id really like to get one made now.  because yesterday we had the same people ring the bell, knock, knock and then come back 30 minutes later and ring the bell and knock and knock.  I can peek out the window and see their booklet of things to sell, why wont they leave us alone!  Sheesh.  I like this neighborhood-but its redicous and to the point of harassment at times. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-I give up on making TOL pendants.  If anyone would like to have my stone chips, wire and ect.  I would gladly trade it all for some knitting/crochet stuff.

-Currently crafting.....A Weasley blanket.  I'd love some squares made from fellow Craftsters.
GlassKicker

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #283 on: March 13, 2013 08:03:01 AM »

I gave up on being nice - it was the "Yummy Meats" folks that finally sent us over the edge..........well, them and the exterminators, and the build a well in Africa folks, and the educational books, and..........well, you get the picture.  Now we have a very simple, "No Soliciting" vinyl decal on the front door - it fits right on a cross section of the door, blends in, and is in a nice script with little flourish deco around it.  Your local sign shop can whip one up for a few bucks.  I finally got so frustrated that cute and crafty went out the window.............of course, we still get the occasional "I saw your sign, but I just wanted to be sure you didn't miss out on......" nimrod that still knocks, but its much less often now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

littlefawnpug

« Reply #284 on: March 13, 2013 09:01:10 AM »

I gave up on being nice - it was the "Yummy Meats" folks that finally sent us over the edge..........well, them and the exterminators, and the build a well in Africa folks, and the educational books, and..........well, you get the picture.  Now we have a very simple, "No Soliciting" vinyl decal on the front door - it fits right on a cross section of the door, blends in, and is in a nice script with little flourish deco around it.  Your local sign shop can whip one up for a few bucks.  I finally got so frustrated that cute and crafty went out the window.............of course, we still get the occasional "I saw your sign, but I just wanted to be sure you didn't miss out on......" nimrod that still knocks, but its much less often now.

Ugh, its so annoying isnt it?  We had one guy selling meat out of a beat up truck with an old freezer in the back with meat!  Gross, why on earth!?  Im trying to go with a nice sign though-as hubby wants to be 'nice' about it.  Gah!  I gave up on being nice to telemarketers a long time ago though.  Calling 5 or 6 times a day!  As soon as I picked up the phone I would make a high pitched, ear piercing shrek and wouldnt stop until they lost their hearing and hung up.  We are on the national do not call list too!  One caller particualr was a donation center.  Okay, i understand donation centers help those less fortunate.  I shop at good will even.  But really, when they call us 5 times a day every day!  Thats, not someone I am going to donate to.  Anyways, I am happy to say that we have not had a telemarketer call in ages now!  Score 1 for us, 0 for telemarketers!   ANyways.....rant over.  Back to the solociting sign-I posted a paper print out on the window as a temperary thing for now.  I do like your simple sticker idea though.  Simple & to the point.  On anther note-I have contemplated getting a big dog for occasions like this.  teach it to run to the door and growl out the window on command.  Yeah....hee hee hee hee.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-I give up on making TOL pendants.  If anyone would like to have my stone chips, wire and ect.  I would gladly trade it all for some knitting/crochet stuff.

-Currently crafting.....A Weasley blanket.  I'd love some squares made from fellow Craftsters.
Shana82
« Reply #285 on: March 13, 2013 09:13:24 AM »

The big dog approach has been super effective for me Smiley My dog has a scary bark and does not like strangers in his yard. It is pretty effective on the random solicitors.   Now the counter to that is, he also scared off a big percentage of the trick or treaters this year (I don't have children, and for some reason he has interpreted children under 12 to be brain eating zombies!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Averia

Floppsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #286 on: March 13, 2013 10:23:34 AM »

I have got a sign on my pinterest under "Please make this for me"

No Soliciting
No Religious Queries
Scouts Welcome

I'll never rudely turn away a scout, but all the rest are nothing but a pain in the behind.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

GlassKicker

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #287 on: March 13, 2013 10:33:15 AM »

I have got a sign on my pinterest under "Please make this for me"

No Soliciting
No Religious Queries
Scouts Welcome

I'll never rudely turn away a scout, but all the rest are nothing but a pain in the behind.

I knew I had seen that on someone's board - just couldn't remember whose.  Very nicely put.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

littlefawnpug

« Reply #288 on: March 13, 2013 11:03:39 AM »

The big dog approach has been super effective for me Smiley My dog has a scary bark and does not like strangers in his yard. It is pretty effective on the random solicitors.   Now the counter to that is, he also scared off a big percentage of the trick or treaters this year (I don't have children, and for some reason he has interpreted children under 12 to be brain eating zombies!)

Well, I use to have a small mix dog.  I didnt teach him to growl-but I did teach him to bark at people. (can you tell Im anti-social?  ha ha!)  No really, he was small-but being mixed with a big dog-his bark sounded so weirdly big and creepy.  Our neighbors always commented how when they heard him bark they thought it sounded like a mean big dog.  Anyways-dear hubby was mad because I taught him to bark like that.  But it was so helpful when weirdos knocked on our window-I would just let him bark and bark and bark and they would walk off after hearing him on the other side of the door.  Now-I have pug. And well, theres just no scaring people away with a pug or a pug bark.  I guess with his big eyes, I could teach him to give them the ol' crazy eye look.  LOL.   but some how I just dont see that being anything other then hilarious. 

Anyways, on a crafty note, the gallery is looking amazing!  Everyone is being so generous on their package sending and they are sending the most awesome goodies!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gamemom42

« Reply #289 on: March 13, 2013 11:45:30 AM »

My Dad had the best deterrent for solicitors and religious door knockers ever (although when I was a teenager it just about killed me with shame).  He was a rather large man, and he would answer the door in nothing but his underwear (and he wasn't a boxers kind of guy)... seriously.  It only took one time and the door knockers never came back for a second look.  Of course; he got it wrong sometimes and answered the door like that when it was someone with a legit reason to be there, that was embarrassing. 

On an OWS note, I need help.  When I copy and paste my list after making a new claim, all my links stop working.  Well, most of them.  Last time, only a couple of links still worked after I pasted the list.  What am I doing wrong? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 37 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Add Detail to a Drawing
How to Add Texture to Drawings
How to Draw a Basic Two-Point Perspective
How to Draw a Face
How to Draw People in Motion
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...