A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 296,736
Currently Running With Scissors:
751 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The white elephant was evil this year.  (Read 1056 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MissI3atman

I'm just dandy.

View Profile
« on: December 28, 2012 09:25:11 AM »

My mother received these in a white elephant exchange.  I feel bad, she was kinda disappointed because she felt she was stuck with the worst, even though that's kinda the fun of it.  But anyways... The only thing that I can think of to do with these is save them deep in the closet for next years exchange.  What can I do with these to make them decent?

They actually photograph better than they look in person... Who'd of guessed?  But the vase is about 6 in (including flowers) and the pillow is 8 in.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Artisan82

formerly Crafty.Canadian

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012 09:37:45 AM »

Shocked Urgh.... Maybe light a small fire and use them as fuel, enjoy the warmth they supply and be glad they are out of your life.
Joking aside, I'm sorry I have no ideas.  Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I post all my crafty stuff on Facebook.  I'd LOVE if you'd like my page!
Artisan 82 on Facebook
My baby, my Etsy shop: Artisan 82 on Etsy
leopardstripes

The other one has bells on it!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012 10:29:08 AM »

Wow. That pillow. Just...wow. Ahem. Well. Are the fake flowers removable from that vase? Because I could see that being changed into something elvish-y maybe, if you could ditch the fuchsia horrors- the vase is not horrible. The pillow, though. Erm.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I can't seem to stay with one guru long enough to get enlightened." -from the Life and Letters of Tofu Roshi
Kookaloo_Starr

the best things in life aren't things!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012 04:38:00 PM »

I quite like the ribbon roses on the cushion though I think removing the fringe would make a big improvement.
The vase would be better without the roses, some fake topiary would sit nice in it instead.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Use what talent you possess - the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best"

50 in '14
steiconi
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012 11:09:58 AM »

I would cut the pillow up and use the ribbon embroidery on the yoke of a blouse or dress.  You could dye it first (I don't like lavender).  It's probably all synthetic, so boil or microwave it in Rit dye to get a tint.

That vase just walks up and says, "Hi, I was cheaply molded in a Chinese factory!"

My worst-ever WE gift was a huge plastic license plate frame featuring a crazed reindeer.  It'll be offered up at our next WE party in February.  Heh heh.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012 11:14:05 AM by steiconi » THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissI3atman

I'm just dandy.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013 08:58:50 AM »

Thank you all for your ideas.  I ripped the flowers out of the vase but just can't envision putting something in it.  It will be added to the "to be crafted bucket".  As for the pillow...  I'm  seriously considering lighting it on fire, the more I look at it the more I hate it.  But I think I'll save the ozone from the horrors and just throw it in the get rid of pile in the corner.  Sorry to those who actually had decent ideas, but I just can't do it!  If I ever figure out the vase, it will be definitely be here.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
seleniebeanie
Running on all 4 cylinders!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013 05:22:07 PM »

The pillow: I'm a huge fan of pink & black I'd mask off the pillow with newspaper and spray paint the fringe black. It doesn't have to be perfect, actually pink fringe with black ends would be interesting. Remove the flower basket and iron on a square of black felt, then iron on a slightly smaller square of hot pink fabric so the black looks like a border. Then iron on a piece of black felt shaped like a mustache.

Topiary: make a coordinating pink and black topiary using a black feather boa wrapped around the foam ball as a base, then add pink trimmings like ribbons & roses

Have fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My ultimate gifts to receive: Thread and Glue Sticks!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Browning and Adding Spices to Chopped Onions
Cooking With Sonny With a Chance Star Tiffany Thornton
How to Make Tofu with Minh Tsai
Nirmala Gupta of Bombay Emerald Chutney Company
Velvety Curry Chicken Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...