A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,571
Currently Running With Scissors:
642 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Triple Versus Swap SU 12/26/12 to 1/5/13 Sign Ups Closed  (Read 13653 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BigBangMomma

Addicted to Amigurimi, and afghans!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2012 03:16:48 PM »

I was thinking if they received the actual yarn. I would call most handspun (at least) a medium based on how much time/$$ it takes, and I didn't want to puff up any package with extras.
Thanks for answering my question!

No problem....I personally don't know what it takes to make handspun, but I'm sure it's a lengthy process.  If you have any questions about that when partners come around, just PM me or your group leader, ok?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Frugal Living Swap Rd 6: Sent!
hazelly
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2012 03:40:15 PM »

Re: Handspun - I'm still working on my questionnaire (as a knitting/crocheting/spinning/dyeing yarnie), but I'd be willing to spin for this swap too.  I can spin fine enough for embroidery thread if that's your thing.  I can also do wire corespinning, which I think is cool for just about anyone (a yarn spun over thin wire core, so it holds its form).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
queenofmarigold
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2012 05:20:40 PM »

I've never had/used handspun but, as a yarnie, I too would be more than happy to receive that if my partner was into that. It didn't even occur to me, actually.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BigBangMomma

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2012 05:24:50 PM »

Ok, hand spun yarn counts fully as a craft....but.... We need to agree as to how much yarn constitutes a medium...so hand spinners.... Ideas? I know bulkiness makes a huge difference etc
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Calabaza
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

It's a long story.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2012 05:36:52 PM »

Cool! I'm in! Cheesy

In regards to hand-spun yarn, I used to spin and know it takes a looong time but the results can be beautiful! (I never progressed that far Roll Eyes ). I use interesting threads, cords and yarns as trims when sewing at times.
However, I think I'd be put out if I was sent yarn from my yarnie partner in this swap. From the swap details I was expecting and really excited to get something I could show off right away without having to figure out how to best use some lovely handspun, buy or make an item, sew the yarn on and then show it off.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BigBangMomma

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2012 06:03:24 PM »

In regards to the hand spun yarn, I think it should be something decided upon by partners. Include that in future Q's if you'd like that, or PM your partner about it for their opinion before sending it. As Calabaza and mana24boyz pointed out, if u are not a yarnie, hand spun yarn would be of no use. I'm going to allow it as a craft, but if you are a yarnie in this swap, and your partner would prefer something crafted out if yarn, then I request you oblige. When I suggested this swap, I hadn't even considered hand spun yarn. While many would appreciate this, not everyone would. Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hazelly
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2012 07:16:59 PM »

I definitely plan to ask if my partners want handspun before spinning for them.

For materials, I've paid anywhere from $2 per oz of undyed commercial wool to $5 per oz of handdyed wool to $10 per oz of handdyed silk.  (Yarn at a store is typically sold in 100g or 50g, which for simplicity's sake, is around 4 oz and 2 oz.)

Generally, the fatter a yarn is and the fewer plies there are, the quicker it is to spin.  (Plies = number of strands the yarn is actually made of.  Embroidery floss is usually 6-ply.)  I tend towards very thin yarns and I like to experiment with art yarns.  I recently spun 4 oz of 3-ply laceweight (~800 yards) that took me about 60 hours altogether.  (This means I spun 3x800 = 2400 yards, and then ran 800 yards - as three strands at once - through the wheel again.)  On the other hand, I've spun 2.5 oz/117 yds of ~worsted weight (the thickness you most commonly see in a store) cocoon art yarn in an afternoon.  There are other art yarn techniques that are very time-consuming/very fiber comsuming/etc, but you will not typically see them in large yardages.

Hope I said all that in an understandable way to a non-spinner.

(I think 'by size' is a terrible way to rate sizes of swap items, but that's a different discussion.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mama24boyz
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

AND1GIRL!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2012 07:21:19 PM »

hahaha, I agree with the by size rating.  Its so hard to determine a small, medium or large in crocheting, knitting too (I don't knit though)  I just always go by whatever I think at the time.  There is very little I can make in the small time frame!! lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I absolutely love love quilts, do you think an afghan is a fair trade for a quilt? I'd love to swap!
Etsy
Pinterest
Mamas Creations on Facebook
BigBangMomma

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2012 07:51:46 PM »

Smiley I can agree with the by size being hard... Mostly I was suggesting that so that if more than one person did hand spun yarn of same weight but one person sent way more than the other.... It's really so hard to be accurate/even in any swap though, really...,maybe I am putting too much thought into it all. 

I didn't mean I insinuate that any yarn spinner would send without talking to partner...just trying to clarify, is all
THIS ROCKS   Logged

banana731

procraftinator extrodinaire

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2013 05:40:28 PM »

I just sent in my questionaire. I'm so glad I came on here! I was just saying to myself, "hey self, isn't there a cool swap coming soon you wanted to sign up for..."

I can sew, but I will be away from my machine a bit in the coming weeks, so I signed up as a yarnie for this swap. I hope that's okay!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm almost always typing with one hand...
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Did Harry Styles Deserve His British Fashion Icon Award?
Erdem’s Floral-Printed Top and Trousers
The Best Red Carpet Dresses of 2013
Top 7 Easy Gift Ideas for Fashionistas
How Tailoring Can Revitalize Your Clothes
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
Are You Ready For Some Football?
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...