A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,614
Currently Running With Scissors:
817 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pets and smoke  (Read 2497 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LielC
« on: December 26, 2012 05:37:51 AM »

Even though I haven't swapped much, I noticed something that really bumms me lots of times when I open a package from a pet/smoking home: A strong stink of smoke, and/or lots of pet hair

I'm not allergic to anything, and these things usually don't bother me, but that doesn't mean I don't deserve a nice clean package... It's very dissappointing, and make the item feel cheap and less thoughtful (and I know how much work goes into it) when it smells bad, or filled with enough pet hair to make a carpet ..

I have a (new Grin) pet, and I know I'm gonna make sure every package I send is washed and cleaned of pet hair, and that my dog won't have the chance to sit on/next to it.

It's just food for thought for all the other pet owners and the smoking people  Smiley I've also been wondering if others have ran into this situation
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012 10:39:27 PM »

If you have a sensitivity or aversion to smoke or anything like that, even if it is not an outright allergy, then you may want to put that in your profile/questionnaire.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
donniesgirl
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013 09:59:16 AM »

I have!  And I do put in my profile that I have an aversion to smoke smell, and I have only gotten one package (quilt squares) out of many swaps where it just reeked.  Luckily, with fabric, some washing takes care of that problem.  But obviously, someone who smokes is going to be less sensitive to smoke smell than us non-smokers, so they may not have thought it smelled. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Oath Keeper

Addicted to Plushies...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013 01:59:57 PM »

It is hard to tell when things smell like smoke if you're a smoker. I'm not one, but I live with smokers and all but three of my friends smoke. And I flat out CAN'T smell it. But apparently back in high school a bunch of people thought I smoked, because I smelled like smoke :/ I couldn't smell it back then and I still can't (from being around it since birth I guess). So yeah, even with taking care, the smell from a smoker will be there I'm betting. It may be best to put down that you're allergic to smoke if it really dose bother.
As for pets, well I"m guilty of puppy hair getting into things. Even if I haven't see it, I'm sure of it. And I've gotten pet fur before. It's kind of struck me as funny that other crafters pets are saying hello too lol. Never had a bad experience, like a package smelling like wet dog Tongue I guess it varies from person. Like they say, if in doubt, best to spit it out! Just say something if it bothers you or you're worried about it ruining your swapping fun Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Video Game Swap: Crafting

Can't swap? I do commissions too Wink
LadybugsAndBumblebees

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013 04:02:01 PM »

I would also consider this problem that the original poster stated from a different perspective.  I would hope that people who smoke are also aware that it leaves an odor on things.  I would also hope that pet owners realize that their pets may have odors as well, and may shed.

Therefore, the THOUGHTFUL thing to do would be to wash the items, or keep them away from the smoke and pets, before sending!

I HAVE swapped with one person on Craftster who smokes AND has pets, and her items are in 100%, A-OK condition when I receive them.  I really do truly think it's about being thoughtful and mindful of what you would want to receive yourself.

I always mention that I would rather not swap with people who smoke or have smokers in his/her home, and that if he/she has pets, to please keep the pet away from the craft and supplies.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Whysteria
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013 11:55:11 AM »

If it's to much of a problem to you then follow the others suggestions of putting it as an allergy. I don't smoke and I don't allow my cat in my craft room since that's where my birds are so I don't have to worry to much about sending off pet hair. I don't think the smell of smoke or some pet hair diminishes the value of the items but instead increases it. That shows that that person was working hard at home making something one of a kind just for you and some pet hair or smoke that can be washed away shouldn't make it any less special. But that's just my opinion.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gotgrey
You are, which ever beast you choose to feed

Right and wrong are just words, it's what you do

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013 02:05:14 PM »

I do not see cat hair and smoke as an asset, seeing I'm seriously allergic to both.  It's actually cat dander that I'm allergic to, not hair.  Both make me sneeze, wheeze, cough, my skin itch, and make my eyes red, watery, itchy and swell shut.  I try my best to keep my dogs' hair off of my finished crafted projects.  My dogs and my rabbit are not allowed in my craft room.  I always state that I'm allergic to smoke to cat hair/dander.  But, I've swapped w/someone who has a family member that smokes and has a cat.  She has always done a good job of keeping both away from her finished crafted items.  So I say, if you are allergic to such things, you need to say so in your questionnaires. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alterknitive

What fun creativity is!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2013 12:30:57 AM »

I am a smoker in a household where everyone smokes, and I have a cat.  I don't allow the cat near my crafting, and I wash everything prior to sending, and dry it away from smoking areas.  Of course, being a smoker myself, I can't tell if a thing is smoky, but I haven't had any complaints.  I try not to claim anyone allergic to smoke though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Be the change you wish to see in the world", Mahatma Gandhi
dfabbric

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2013 11:11:42 PM »

I'm allergic to cats and smoke. I usually only put down smoke, since you can remove pet hair from most things, but smoke is harder to remove. I do feel that it's disrespectful to send something that is dirty, which it is if it's covered in hair. I have a dog and hair gets on stuff, but not a lot unless he is in direct contact with it. Which I will not allow to happen, out of respect for my swap partner. Usually though I do not think pets are a problem, since most partners are respectful in that matter, I think you might of had just a one off experience. Smoke is harder to gauge, that's why I just say no smokers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ratfinkz

Rataholic

Animal Mad!

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2013 05:59:07 PM »

I have two long haired black cats and two dogs both of whom moult all year long, my Labrador moults like you would not believe. Everything in our house is covered in hair. I am not lucky enough to have a craft room, so I craft either on the settee or at the kitchen table it is impossible for me to keep hair off my crafts. Before packing everything I now do my best to get hairs off but I am sure I do not manage to get it all and it worries me every time I swap!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love Sarah
XXX

Jack of most crafts master of none.

My craft blog. If you are swapping with me be warned this may contain spoilers
http://ratfinkzcrafts.blogspot.co.uk/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Shirt Out of Paper
How to Make a Stitch
How to Make the Ribstitch
How to Lose a Stitch Properly
How to Make a Basket Weave Stitch
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...