A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,562
Currently Running With Scissors:
402 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Need your advice- websites for crafters  (Read 699 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

etchingcrafts
« on: December 25, 2012 07:54:52 AM »

I will be starting a web design company soon and was thinking about offering a affordable way for people to create a website for their craft business.

I wanted to get some insight from people to better serve the market.

What would you need if you were going to set up a website?

Any feedback would be helpful
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Chris in VT
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2012 04:14:22 AM »

Since Washington is going to take up and possibly pass legislation allowing the states to collect sales tax on internet sales, you're going to need a way to collect the sales taxes for the states that have sales tax, into your checkout.

This will be a nightmare for the small website owner. Because in some states, the tax is different for each county.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's NOTHING at a craft show, or on Etsy, anybody NEEDS. NOTHING.
www.shadypinestudios.com
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012 04:29:54 AM »

I imagine the online shopping cart services will all have built-in sales tax collection if that eventually comes to pass. Can't imagine everyone who is signed up for a shopping cart now will be left flopping about on their own.

The thing with "affordable" is that it usually means "basic", but don't skimp on security. A shopping cart and SECURE site is very important. I don't know if you're planning a farm type thing like etsy or if you'd be like a Homestead hosting/website deal, but upgrades should be available since some people won't want "basic" forever.

The younger generation is more computer savvy than I am, so they know more about technology, but most people still do not understand or want to understand how a website works. Keep instructions specific and button-pushing simple whenever possible.

Need to upload photos into an organized arrangement. Need a title, description field, tag/keywords area. Need a menu with categories. Ability to put in a custom header. Color schemes would be nice, not everybody knows how to load up backgrounds and so on.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012 04:31:19 AM by CraftyChef » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Chris in VT
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013 04:40:54 AM »

I imagine the online shopping cart services will all have built-in sales tax collection if that eventually comes to pass. Can't imagine everyone who is signed up for a shopping cart now will be left flopping about on their own.

I agree. My site automatically collects the sales tax from Vermont residents.

But it is up to me to remit those taxes. And no state will do business with you without a sales tax number. Could that mean we must register with each state when someone from that state places an order?

Can you imagine the fun when we get one order from a state and then have to file quarterly or annual returns from that point on?

I can only hope somebody in Washington can see the plight of the micro merchant, although I doubt any of them are smart enough to do that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's NOTHING at a craft show, or on Etsy, anybody NEEDS. NOTHING.
www.shadypinestudios.com
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013 08:34:03 AM »

Can you imagine the fun when we get one order from a state and then have to file quarterly or annual returns from that point on?

I can only hope somebody in Washington can see the plight of the micro merchant, although I doubt any of them are smart enough to do that.

How could any state handle the additional volume? Look at this top 10 retail list, then add in all the little businesses that will have sales tax to "regulate":
1. Amazon.com
2. Walmart.com
3. eBay.com
4. BestBuy.com
5. JCPenney.com
6. Target.com
7. Kohls.com
8. Google.com
9. Overstock.com
10. Sears.com

Avoiding sales taxes will become a sort of black market activity. People always find a way. And since the government wonks don't understand how a business works or even imagine how one can get bogged down in paperwork, they will not figure out ahead of time how things will go, and there will be waivers for this and that, then the only folks who will get off are the big companies with power bases and the rest of us will end up drowning in red tape and going broke on penalties. Fun? You ain't kiddin'!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Crispy Easter Nests
How to Make Bunny Face Cupcakes for Easter
Rum Cake Recipe
Red Velvet Brownies Recipe
Sparkling Snowflake Shortbread Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...