A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,152
Currently Running With Scissors:
580 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Making a dress for a plus sized friend, want opinions if this cut will flatter  (Read 2355 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

CoanTeen
Witch who Walks without Feet

Searching for my own "Golden Path"

View Profile WWW
« on: July 29, 2010 01:49:51 PM »

So my friend's birthday is comming up, and I has no money, so im going to make her something. I want to make her a dress, but I dont have much practice sewing for plus sized. I have  a pattern i used for myself, and planned to simply make it bigger to fit her. But i wonder if this cut is flattering on plus sized girls, so i came to the one place i knew i could get answers!

http://sewing.patternreview.com/Patterns/38276

this is the pattern i have, i guess its a sackdress? IDK. I made one for me and she really likes it.
If this is NOT a flattering cut, can someone suggest a tute maybe? she have a very bottom heavy shape. measurement 49-40-50 aprox. I love her and she fabulous, but needs some really fabulous clothes for her birthday! Thanks for the help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Geek chic, Gamer Gorgeous, Punk Pretty, Angry Beautiful.
You want it? I Made it!
www.ShinshayOriginals.com

Wist- http://www.wists.com/Coanteen

Need crocheted hats, Will sew anything for you if you can make me hats!
MNR
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010 12:57:55 PM »

Give her a lot of space in the butt when you make her dress. I am around the same bottom size. And I know that things riding up sucks. When one bends over, the dress goes up several inches. Keep that in mind.  You might want to make the dress past her knees a little bit. 2-3 inches to accommodate sitting and standing and bending over.

Make the straps larger than 1.5inches. Thin straps don't always look good on a big girl. Especially with big bras. I say that because it seems the straps look a little thin. I would say 2.5inches maybe?

I say go for it. It looks pretty nice. Is it a surprise? if not, I'd say take her bust measurements some more and relate  them to your own. You might have to sew some pintucks to make space for the boobage.

Otherwise.... that's a pretty lovely pattern. Esp. For a gift. Good lucks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Feast Your Eyes
People are entitled to their hobbies, and I'm entitled to think those people are creepy. - Raylan Givens, Justified

Serial Craft Dabbler

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010 04:28:25 PM »

I am pretty close to those measurements, and if I saw that dress in a store, I'd at least try it on. It looks to have a nice A-line shape, which is usually flattering, especially on hippier girls. If she is busty, i.e. a D cup or above, I would second the suggestion to widen the straps. Also strap placement can be tricky. If the dress is not a surprise, you might have her come over, bringing her favorite bra, and do a fitting, checking to see where the straps should go.

Another suggestion is the ubiquitous infinity dress. Again, if she is busty, i suggest making the straps wider than the tutorial.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Honored to be a J&T Featured Member

Vintage sewing patterns and unique jewelry at
Sinners' Feast
Yizzimindi
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013 06:33:14 PM »

I would suggest making the straps a triangle, much wider. Sew the wide part of the triangle almost under the armpit, more to the edge of the dress, then sew it until it hits where the strap will normally be attached. This will hide that flabby bit of underarm fat that everyone hates. I would also suggest making a long-short style skirt. One which is longer in the back than in the front. Mid calf in the back and knee length in the front looks nice and you can't really tell that it's a different shape. I have to do this with any short skirts, because I have a ghetto booty kind of bum =P
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Lisa Lutz Reveals Her Previous Occupations
Terrie M. Williams Talks About Black Pain
Kate Torgovnick Reveals Her Favorite TV Show
The Dangers of Deceiving a Viscount Book Trailer
One Great Truth Book Trailer
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...