A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 305,019
Currently Running With Scissors:
545 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dimensional fairy tale in plain-paper-box-to-shadowbox  (Read 1056 times)
Tags for this thread: shadowbox , fairy_tale  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Calabaza
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

It's a long story.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: December 22, 2012 08:00:37 PM »

Paper crafting scares me: I have next-to-zero-confidence in myself to come out with anything decent. So, when something turns out half-way decent (according to my standards which, as you'd expect, aren't very high) I'm pretty happy.

I made this for a swap partner based on the fairy tale "East of the Sun, West of the Moon". In it (spoiler alert) the polar bear takes the girl to his castle and eventually turns into a prince. In this scene the hills are each cut separately and mounted on foam, as is the bear and rider. I painted the paper with sealer (and glitter for the bear/rider) for shine.

This was a One Tiny Thing swap with the max size being 4 inches. I couldn't find a shadowbox that small so here's were I started feeling okay about this project, although I know it's far from perfect. I went to the craft store and bought a 4" paper mache box with lid. I added the swirly detail to the sides of the lid with a toothpick dipped in Elmer's gel glue, painted over that plus the back and inside, sealed it and mounted the cut scene inside. Then I cut out the bottom of the box itself with an exacto knife, cut the middle of that out, painted and sealed the back, mounted it with superglue, built up the edges with more Elmers, painted it black (yeah, that song was going through my mind a lot) and sealed it.

On the back is a hanging bracket. I love superglue.  Smiley

It is not anywhere near the level you paper crafters get up to, I know, but c&c are always welcome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BigBangMomma

Addicted to Amigurimi, and afghans!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012 07:25:46 AM »

Anytime you put so much effort into something that is out of your comfort, especially for someone else, it's fabulous in my book....what's that saying? It's the thought that counts? Not  only that, calabaza, but it turned out pretty cool, anyway!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

4x6 Art Swap Fall 2014
Calabaza
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

It's a long story.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012 06:39:35 AM »

Thanks so much, johnsom.mom2two!  Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged

elderflower
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012 06:29:37 AM »

I loved that story. And I love your shadow box too.  That is exactly how I imagined her riding off on her polar bear prince.  I'd also love to see a set of these which includes the trials she went through to get him back.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
arwenjade

I draw with a bar of soap...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2012 09:55:25 AM »

lol I love challenging my swap partners!  Grin It's very rare that I ask for something specific because I think I get better swap stuff when I leave it to my partner to make me something awesome. It really worked this time! I love this shadowbox!  Cheesy

I like that it is minimalistic and it goes very well with the other black framed artwork on my walls. I also love that you chose my favorite fairy tale to make this OTT. Thanks again Calabaza!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Deviate from the well-traveled path. Instead, take the narrow Way and discover the Truth for yourself...

Etsy ~ Pinterest ~ Flickr
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Rejuvenate Your Hair
Do Scissors Need to Be Sharpened for a Haircut
Rudi Lewis Hair at Adam Lippes - Fashion Week NY
Home Remedies for Winter Hair
Hair Styling Tips
Latest Blog Articles
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner
Tute Tuesday: Upcycled Car Trash Bag with Liner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...