A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,599
Currently Running With Scissors:
637 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Onesies and fabric paint?  (Read 1330 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

DustyChica

The Doctor's Companion

View Profile
« on: December 20, 2012 07:26:33 PM »

Some friends of mine are expecting their first baby in May (hooray!), and while I've seen some SUPER cute onesies on CafePress and Etsy, I can't really justify paying upwards of $20 for a single onesie. Sooooooo, my solution is just to make them. However, I've never really done the fabric paint thing and am wondering how to do it with baby clothes. It is safe to use on baby clothes (i.e., will not irritate baby's skin)? Is one brand of fabric paint better over another? How will hold up in the wash?

Help please, I'm clueless. D:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect. But actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective point of view, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey . . . stuff."
- The Doctor
[/color]
dfabbric
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012 01:41:23 PM »

Unfortunately fabric paint on onsies doesn't always work very well. Because they are a very stretchy knit fabric, they tend to crack and pull the fabric paint apart. I would buy a swatch of jersey knit and test it first. It also depends on your fabric paint. My daughter recently colored a MonsterHigh fabric bag at Toys r Us and they used neon Crayola fabric pens that came out beautifully. Again you would have to test it and read the instructions. Many fabric paints or pens need to be ironed to set and might need special washing. Another option is to hand embroider the design or to apply an appliqué. You can attach an appliqué with just iron on webbing though I would suggest using at least a basic tack down stitch. Hope this helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lookingforangels
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013 05:15:08 AM »

I used fabric pens from Wal-Mart to do a design on a t-shirt when I was 16 which was 7 years ago and I still wear that shirt and it hasn't faded or cracked like fabric paint would, so I would say that would be the best option for decorating the onesies. hope that helps!
 Grin

handmadedreamz.blog spot.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~LookingForAngels~
handmadedreamz.blog spot.com
CarinaJo
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013 02:06:21 PM »

I JUST did this for my sister and her friend. I didn't bother using fabric paint or pens because I could only get to Wal-Mart and they didn't have the colors I needed since I'm doing them for Mardi Gras. After much research, I just used acrylic paint and planned to do a dry heat set. One onesie has been sprayed with purple, green, and deep yellow paint that was cut with water (2:1 water to paint), allowed to dry completely before I stenciled a large fleur de lis in the same colors on front (used the little round sponges on wooden handles).  Once that was dry, I used a cloth barely dampened with vinegar and ironed it with dry heat.  I also know you can buy an additive that will make your plain acrylic paint suitable for fabric painting. I didn't want to do that because I needed it done quickly and it's for a baby so I'm not expecting them to fit them long anyway.

Do some research around the web and see what will work for you. You have way more options than you think and Great Luck!! And post what you finally choose to make!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Zombies vs. Unicorns Book Trailer
John Coats Discusses Original Sinners: a New Interpretation of Genesis
White Cat Book Trailer
Author Mark Oppenheimer on His New Book Wisenheimer
Meet Author Karl Rove
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...