A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 298,758
Currently Running With Scissors:
422 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dolls for Xmas (pic heavy)  (Read 1475 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Valdorsha

There's no such thing as too many projects.

View Profile
« on: December 20, 2012 05:17:29 PM »

Yay for dollies! Well, yay for dollies being finished. For a while there, I didn't think I was going to get them done in time for Christmas, but I finished the last one this afternoon, and they are on their ways to their new happy forever homes!

I want to give mad props to ghilie and her fabulous Cupcake doll pattern. It's a wonderful pattern and very forgiving of mistakes (which I made aplenty, but let's not worry about that. They are ridiculously cute still!)

The first doll has been dubbed "Mara" who is made of baby pink fleece and has a gorgeous multi-toned purplish yarn hairpiece using Crafty.Canadian's tute on using plastic netting to make a wig.
Her dress is just a freehand crocheted piece using the same yarn as Kayla's hair.

Hi!

I can almost stand up by myself!

I even have a birth certificate! (I made one for each doll, but this is the only picture of one. I had already sealed the box when I remembered to get a picture of the other two... cuz I'm cool like that Cool)

Yes, you aren't seeing things. Her arms are two different types. I was originally going to make both of them with a sewn joint, but I decided to make one a stiff-crooked arm so she could pose. My sweet girl (longtime friend's daughter, not mine) is a fashionable little princess, so I wanted Mara to be able to Vogue.

Then we have Kayla. She features hot pink fleece and a fuchsia fusion yarn for her hair using this tute:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8542954@N07/sets/72157606651877346/

It worked really well, and I'm planning on sticking with this method for the dolls I make for the kids. It's extremely secure, and with both the girls only being 2 years old, it's important it can weather some rough play.
Her dress is a halter-type with neck ties made from a piece of blue flannel.

Seasons Greetings!

Look! I can sit up! This will make it a lot easier to not fall off things like shelves. I'm afraid of heights... I blame Val. She is too.

And lastly, this is Marf (my boys named him. They're geniuses - I think it fits perfectly)
Marf is a glowworm style doll of my own pattern, and created from a green striped baby-knit fabric and a little green camo yarn detailing.
He is meant for a 1 year old, so in order to make sure nothing could be pulled off (or chewed off) easily, he has no hair or accessories except for his chibi eyes and a sewn mouth and "hair" covering the closing stitches.
I tried to pull the eyes off and couldn't, so I think he'll be secure for when he does get teethed on.

Hi. I'm cute.

Detail of the head covering.

I am squooshy and soft!

So there you have it.
Sorry for the overload of pictures, but I'm so proud of them Smiley
I hope they like them. I wrote in the letters that I sent along that I plan on making more clothes for the cupcake dolls later, and that I'll be making sister dolls for the girls. When the boy is older, I'm planning on making him a boy-style cupcake doll to go with his sister's.

Hope you guys like!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ghilie
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Good Cookie Designs

Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012 06:28:07 PM »

I'm hitting the like button! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit http://ghilie.wordpress.com/ for the poppet pattern.

"I grow old, I grow old, I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled."
papilionette
Chaotic Crafter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012 06:33:04 PM »

Those are adorable! Great job and I like Marf the best, maybe even just for namesake!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Nyxinae

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012 02:38:46 AM »

Ahh, they are all so wonderful but I think little Marf is my favourite; he's so adorable!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

All we have to decide is what to craft with the time that is given to us.
meleriffic
Global Moderator
Clothing Moderator
Toys, Dolls, & Playthings Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012 06:05:21 AM »

Great job. I had planned on making dolls for Christmas too, but it didn't happen. You did an awesome job and some little ones are going to have an awesome Christmas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Sharalee

www.wists.com/SharaLee http://pinterest.com/sharalee3/pins/?filter=likes

Retired Hairstylist/Crafter

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012 09:12:26 AM »

Great job, they are very cute!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http:/pinterest.com/sharalee3

"Yet Another TM Patch Swap RD 3"
"Fall Character Ninni Swap"
'Christmas Stocking Swap RD 10"

Will do personal swaps!! I make Art Dolls/Junker Jane Dolls/Raggedy Ann & Andy Dolls/also TM Patches
lovesclutter

Nothing is safe in its native form.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012 10:09:17 AM »

Love them all because they are so unique. Love that you included Doll Certificate of Birth.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
Lhiannan
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2012 10:30:26 AM »

These are great!  I had to do a double-take when I saw the thumbnail because I just made a cupcake doll for Christmas using that exact same yarn!  It's so soft and squishy, I wish I had a sweater made of it.

The glowworm is adorable!  Love him.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Valdorsha

There's no such thing as too many projects.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2012 05:44:18 PM »

Thanks you guys!

Ghilie: you rock lady. Thank you.

papilionette & SpeakGeekAndEnter: Little Marf definitely became the house favorite. Both my boys want one now. I'm thinking of making really big ones so they double as pillows for them.

meleriffic: don't feel bad. This success marks my 3rd attempt on dolls lol. I was going to make them originally for both girls' first Christmases, but time just never allowed. 3rd time's a charm!

Sharalee: Thank you!

lovesclutter: the certificate was something I remembered so many of my friends being so proud of with their Cabbage Patch dolls (I never had one, but I remember the craze well) when we were kids, so I thought, "These dollies need one of those!" I'm in love with the idea really, and I think it adds something special for the little ones. Your name, btw, speaks right from my own soul lol. I love my clutter... or it loves me... probably a little of both Smiley

Lhiannan: omg isn't it just the most beautiful, squooshy yarn? That's so cool you used it for a cupcake doll too! It's such a nice texture for hair or clothes. I just love it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftygem
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2012 06:26:58 AM »

I love these! how well did using fleece work? i just bought fleece to make these because walmart didn't have any suade  Sad. yours turned out cute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life's a roller coaster...... enjoy the ride!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.wists.com/craftygem
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Is Coconut Oil a Beauty Miracle?
How to Rock Wet-Look Lids
What Make Up to Wear with a Tan
Will This Glossy Topcoat Transform Your Lipstick Wardrobe?
How to Make a Macha Tea Mask and Coffee Sugar Body Scrub
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...