A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 302,546
Currently Running With Scissors:
575 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Teach Me: Embroidered Pendant Necklace  (Read 2108 times)
Tags for this thread: embroidered , embroidery , pendant , necklace , help  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Leese1015
« on: December 20, 2012 02:47:09 PM »

I would love to know how to make one of those adorable embroidered pendants that are all over Etsy right now, and where you can get the best blank pendants/bezels for the job. I have searched the supplies section but I have no idea what type of pendants/bezels are best for this. Any suggestions? Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012 02:48:52 PM by Leese1015 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012 07:27:03 AM »

I haven't made one myself yet, but I have been thinking about it.  How I was thinking about doing it was to measure the inside of a pendant bezel or tray, do my design, and then cut a backing piece in cardboard that would fit inside the bezel.  Then wrap the cloth with the needlework onto the cardboard, with a bit of fill to plump it up, and sew or glue it tightly around the cardboard, and glue it to the base.  My worry about this would be if the profile of the edges of the bezel are too low and doesn't hide the edges of the piece well.

The next option is to get the frames that are used with memory glass, and to frame the backed piece in that, perhaps with a piece of wood, felt, leather, or whatever to back it with to finish the back.

I think there may be bezels made specific for this type of jewelry though, and maybe others can direct you to them.  These are just my thoughts as it has been on the back of my mind for awhile - on my mental to do/to try list.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
Leese1015
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012 12:16:05 PM »

Thank you Onyxnox!

I did find a tutorial (after a lot of searching) from So September that shows how she makes hers. It is very helpful and she even tells you where she buys the pendant settings.

http://soseptember.blogspot.com/2012/09/embroidered-pendant-tutorial-just-for.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012 07:43:37 AM »

I was thinking you could use the blanks for buttons and take off the backs. I've stitched up buttons before and the tutorial looks about the same. There is a craftster video on making and stitching them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use an Infrared Filter
Shooting For Black and White
Painting With Light: Outdoors
Converting Images to Black and White
Selective Blurring
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...