A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 300,899
Currently Running With Scissors:
398 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 'The Walking Dead' Daryl Dixon plush!  (Read 11976 times)
Tags for this thread: doll , walking_dead , featured_project , the_walking_dead  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SpeakGeekAndEnter
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« on: December 18, 2012 11:09:25 PM »

Sooo...this guy was a challenge. A BIG Challenge. From hair colour and style issues to needle felting conundrums and figuring out how to make a crossbow, I think he has been the biggest learning curve so far!

I didn't want to make him look quite as umm, not quite angry but....fed up with everyone else's idiocy? as Daryl often comes across, lol, so I tried to give him a sort of unimpressed yet not hostile look instead. I'm not sure if I pulled that off quite right, but I think he's cute so...I'm going to have to say in the end, he gets a pass. Wink

The wings were rather hard to do given the scale, but they had to be there -- they're almost as iconic as the crossbow. Wink The wings are hand cut pieces of felt, with painted detail. The vest itself has those little snappy hole things. Rivets? Forgive me if I sound utterly derpy; I am completely self taught when it comes to sewing and I don't know about 90% of the correct terminologies and names for things.  Huh

He has an internal upper armature like all my plushies so they can be useful and hold stuff....like crossbows. Wink

The vest comes off and he has his signature sleeveless shirt underneath.  Oh and his zombie ear necklace... made from plush zombies! (No real zombies were harmed in the making of this plush.)

Faux fur is a pain in the butt to style, but I'm really happy with the end result! The back of his head you see here is actually the result of his third haircut!~ I think I spent about and hour just staring at a million screen-caps, trying to figure out why Daryl's (Norman Reedus') hair looked a different colour in nearly every picture I saw. I finally figured out that Season 1 pics showed much lighter hair than the later seasons, so I ended up going with the darker hair because, well, I like it better. Wink

The crossbow is the product of about an hour and a half of work and probably three hours of agonizing over how to make it, lol.  In the end I think it's recognizable and that's all that matters really, right?  But he has only one arrow left so he better make it count! Wink

I initially made the zombie ears more realistic, but then realized that a plush Daryl would hunt plush zombies so they had to look like his ears only, well...bloody. Wink

His face is needle felted, as are his eyebrows, mouth and facial hair. The facial hair - Lips sealed - let's just say Daryl started out looking like a very special kind of 70's star, with a huge mustache before I came to understand that understated was the way to go. Wink

Thank you for taking the time to look at my newest little plushie, and cookies to you if you actually read through all my rambles!  Cheesy Comments are always appreciated. ♥

« Last Edit: April 06, 2014 12:08:48 AM by FabledStitches » THIS ROCKS   Logged

All we have to decide is what to craft with the time that is given to us.

Speak Geek And Enter  ♥  Facebook
bambam91
The rogue Queen

Where is my mind?? Probably listening to hip hop :

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012 03:43:20 AM »

He is great!! I love the attention to detail you put into your plushies!!! The minor things is what makes it come together so nicely Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am currently inactive, due to being hit by a car. I will be back on once I am healed
lydiaharper
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012 05:33:04 AM »

I LOVE HIM!! You did an amazing job.  The vest is really cool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mthrasher138

I ♥ personal swaps!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012 06:50:07 AM »

You are so talented! He is uber cute and cool at the same time. Good job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bobbysgirl
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012 10:16:10 AM »

Love him, he's awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
inle_rah
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012 01:13:25 PM »

Amazingly good job.  He is super cute, and I love his expression.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

about me
my wists
Ravelry
My Etsy
Personal swaps?  Yes, please.
krileymil
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012 08:18:04 PM »

omg I love this...I want this....lol
He is my favorite character....Norman Reedus is one of my favorite actors. This is a true tribute to him, good job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
calixita

thought I heard a saxophone; I'm drunk on the moon

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2012 10:21:23 PM »

Wow!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SpeakGeekAndEnter

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2012 11:13:56 PM »

Thanks very muchly for all the wonderful feedback, guys & gals!  Cheesy

He is great!! I love the attention to detail you put into your plushies!!! The minor things is what makes it come together so nicely Smiley

Thanks!! I admit, I am super detail-orientated - which is funny because I absolutely love looking at simple "less-is-more" plushies so much and admire them for their simplicity.

omg I love this...I want this....lol
He is my favorite character....Norman Reedus is one of my favorite actors. This is a true tribute to him, good job!

Thanks so much! Isn't Daryl (and Norman) absolutely fantastic? They better not kill off Daryl or they'll be getting a very sternly-worded letter (decorated with tear drop stains!) from me! haha. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

All we have to decide is what to craft with the time that is given to us.

Speak Geek And Enter  ♥  Facebook
anderlance
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2012 10:40:16 AM »

Daryl?  You made Daryl!!!!!  This ROCKS!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Knit Newborn Baby Mittens with a Loom Part 13/35
How to Knit Newborn Baby Mittens with a Loom Part 12/35
How to Knit Newborn Baby Mittens with a Loom Part 11/35
How to Knit Newborn Baby Mittens with a Loom Part 10/35
How to Knit Newborn Baby Mittens with a Loom Part 1/35
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...