A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 298,751
Currently Running With Scissors:
720 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Newbie - Rug?  (Read 477 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tiloah
« on: December 18, 2012 10:36:04 PM »

So I want to make this rug: http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mcf4oi8WDi1qb83abo1_500.jpg

I've been wanting to make it for a while now. Recently I found my crochet hooks so now I'm ready to go. I have actually never crocheted before. My question is regarding materials. Is it important to use a certain type of yarn? I have a bit of a stash from knitting in a past life, but it's all kind of fancy/expensive. I don't *mind* using fancy yarn on this project, I was just wondering as far as it holding up in a rug goes if it would be okay. I'm assuming you would want something more rugged (heh heh). One skein in particular I've singled out is 75% microdenier (?) acrylic/25% merino "medium/4" here: (beward of autoplay) http://www.naturallycaron.com/shade_cards/country_sh.html. Do you think that's doable? Regardless, do you have any suggestions for yarn and/or hook size?

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I appreciate any and all responses.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DustyChica

The Doctor's Companion

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012 01:00:40 AM »

Oooooo. If you're intending to put the rug somewhere that gets a lot of foot traffic, I would definitely NOT use your Country yarn for that. It's soft and pretty, yes, but also somewhat delicate. Great for scarves/wraps, not so much for rugs.

I'd suggest sticking with your basic 100% acrylic yarn (or 100% cotton, if you're feeling a little more fancy) for a rug. Red Heart's a solid, cheap standard, but the colors are limited (if they're the colors you want, though, then no problem!). If you've got a Hobby Lobby near you, the "I Love This Yarn" brand is a bit nicer and comes in more colors. For the rug shown in the picture, I'm thinking probably an H or I hook to make your motifs before you stick them all together. (You might need to test your gauge first to see how loopy your stitches are, and go up/down a hook size if need be.)

Any other questions, feel free to hit me up. And good luck! Crocheting's fun, though be warned - you'll probably develop a hook/yarn addiction, if you haven't got one already. Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect. But actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective point of view, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey . . . stuff."
- The Doctor
[/color]
tiloah
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012 01:16:40 AM »

Thank you so much for the tips.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Jonathan Waxman: The Sartorialist For AOL On
Apple Recipes for Thanksgiving
Make Breakfast Rock With Homemade Pop Tarts!
How to Make a Meatloaf with Chili Sauce
Skillet Bacon Mac and Cheese Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...