A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,070
Currently Running With Scissors:
790 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Newbie - Rug?  (Read 382 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tiloah
« on: December 18, 2012 10:36:04 PM »

So I want to make this rug: http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mcf4oi8WDi1qb83abo1_500.jpg

I've been wanting to make it for a while now. Recently I found my crochet hooks so now I'm ready to go. I have actually never crocheted before. My question is regarding materials. Is it important to use a certain type of yarn? I have a bit of a stash from knitting in a past life, but it's all kind of fancy/expensive. I don't *mind* using fancy yarn on this project, I was just wondering as far as it holding up in a rug goes if it would be okay. I'm assuming you would want something more rugged (heh heh). One skein in particular I've singled out is 75% microdenier (?) acrylic/25% merino "medium/4" here: (beward of autoplay) http://www.naturallycaron.com/shade_cards/country_sh.html. Do you think that's doable? Regardless, do you have any suggestions for yarn and/or hook size?

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I appreciate any and all responses.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DustyChica

The Doctor's Companion

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012 01:00:40 AM »

Oooooo. If you're intending to put the rug somewhere that gets a lot of foot traffic, I would definitely NOT use your Country yarn for that. It's soft and pretty, yes, but also somewhat delicate. Great for scarves/wraps, not so much for rugs.

I'd suggest sticking with your basic 100% acrylic yarn (or 100% cotton, if you're feeling a little more fancy) for a rug. Red Heart's a solid, cheap standard, but the colors are limited (if they're the colors you want, though, then no problem!). If you've got a Hobby Lobby near you, the "I Love This Yarn" brand is a bit nicer and comes in more colors. For the rug shown in the picture, I'm thinking probably an H or I hook to make your motifs before you stick them all together. (You might need to test your gauge first to see how loopy your stitches are, and go up/down a hook size if need be.)

Any other questions, feel free to hit me up. And good luck! Crocheting's fun, though be warned - you'll probably develop a hook/yarn addiction, if you haven't got one already. Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect. But actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective point of view, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey . . . stuff."
- The Doctor
[/color]
tiloah
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012 01:16:40 AM »

Thank you so much for the tips.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Low Ponytails at the Dennis Basso Spring 2014 Show
WWJLD? Jared Leto Offers Hair Inspiration to Us All
The Best and Worst Dressed of the 2014 Grammys
The Best Hairstyles to Match Your Prom Dress
The Michel Mercier Detangling Brush Review
Latest Blog Articles
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects
Spotlight On: Amigurumi

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...