A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,566
Currently Running With Scissors:
421 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Snowman Pinata!  (Read 2601 times)
Tags for this thread: snowman , pinata , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: December 16, 2012 08:44:44 PM »

Sometime this summer I decided to make The ManFlesh's nieces a snowman pinata for xmas.  I spent months picking up trinkets to stuff it with (no candy for these girls), then wrapped half of them in one color of paper and half in another to avoid squabbles.  The photo above is taken in our house, before I packed him up to ship back "home."

He's built on a 36" balloon blown up to about 20" and using packing paper and watered down Elmer's Glue-all (rather than flour paste), because I had LOTS of both and I didn't want him too hard to break since the girls are 6 and 8 and I've been to parties where grown men hand to pummel a grounded pinata to get it to spill it's treasures.  I also left a few week spots.

I made coal for his eyes and mouth by crumpling up strips of paper soaked with the Elmers/water mixture that I later painted with exterior house paint, because that's the inexpensive black I had on hand.  I like how they turned out shiny, like real coal.  His nose is a cone made from a cereal box that I coated with the paper mache combo so its texture would match.  When that dried I painted it with craft paint, then when that was dry I added some glitter snow to the top side.

Before I glued the "coal" on, I sprayed the whole thing with glitter spray from my stash (probably a dozen years old).  I'd have preferred silver, but I had this and since the whole thing is going to be unwrapped and smashed to smithereens w/in a few minutes certain details aren't that important.

The hat is my favorite part!  It covers the hole left in the top for filling the pinata with trinkets and is so silly and undersized it makes me giggle.  It's made from the bottom of a cylinder-shaped box (originally with dishwasher soap or something in it) and paper board.  I assembled the parts and then coated the whole thing with a layer of paper mache to match the texture.  When that was dry, I painted it, added the faux holly and added some glitter "snow."  

The cylinder box's bottom was recessed and I liked the idea of that, but wanted it to be sloped, so the paper mache helped make it so.  

I made the thing assuming I'd ship it in one of the 24"x24"x24" boxes we had left over from our move.  Except I didn't verify that the boxes were that size and they weren't (they were smaller) so I ended up having to made a box to ship it in tomorrow morning!  It was like making a pinata inside a pinata except I didn't want any weak spots in the shipping box!  Luckily we have a few appliance boxes around and the dishwater box fit the bill (and the snowman).  We are going to be there for xmas, but don't have room in the car for all the gifts, so we're shipping them ahead.  I'll fill the pinata and glue the hat on when we get there.  WOO!

SHIPPING UPDATE!  So I get down to the PO with all my boxes to ship them and my pinata box is 5" too long in one direction (any direction) to qualify for Priority Mail at all.  I can get Parcel Post for only $13!  BUT, I would have to pay an oversize parcel fee of, get this, $55.  FIFTY-FIVE DOLLARS!?  Luckily, I had almost 6" to spare on one side, so I brought that bastard home, cut 5.25" off one end (just to be safe) and remade the box.  I was able to ship Priority for $28.  Next year, everyone is getting magazine subscriptions and feathers.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012 03:48:03 PM by TheMistressT » THIS ROCKS   Logged

elderflower
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012 01:38:11 AM »

That's  great snowman.  Those lucky girls are going to have a lot of fun with him.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheMistressT

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012 07:17:42 AM »

Thanks!  I now know why handmade pinatas cost so much money.  If this one were going to be displayed for more than a few minutes I would have liked to have done him up with tissue and crepe and lots more glittery and shine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Trekky

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012 02:57:45 PM »

This is brilliant! It is so detailed.  I hope it arrives safely!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://craftytrekky.blogspot.com/

I have lots of train tickets (I get the train most days), if anyone wants some for papercrafting just send me a PM Smiley
TheMistressT

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012 05:08:51 PM »

Thanks!  I'm pretty sure it will.  [knock knock]
THIS ROCKS   Logged

drogjami

Life is Perfect With a Cup of Coco

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013 02:29:35 AM »

Simple idea executed to perfection. Looks like its going to be a lot fun. Good job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Corner Desk... A Must For Home Offices.
Phizzychick
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013 03:52:30 AM »

How wonderful! He's so sweet it's a shame to have his head bashed in...although I would if there were treats inside! Grin

Did they take any action photos?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheMistressT

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013 08:05:31 AM »

The girls had a great time with him!  They each got 3 turns (we gave up on the blindfold after their second round).  He lost his face a piece or two at a time, but his hat stayed totally intact and their mom said that it is going to be a part of their annual decorating which really touched me!  If the hat was going to be tossed, I was going to keep it myself, it was my favorite part.

How wonderful! He's so sweet it's a shame to have his head bashed in...although I would if there were treats inside! Grin

Did they take any action photos?

Their mom is a dentist, so I filled it with craft supplies/projects and cheapy musical instruments instead of candy.  To minimize squabbling, I wrapped all the gifts in 2 colors of paper, one for each girl.  I have action video on my phone which I need to post to flickr or my blog and at least grandma and mom were holding up cameras or phones, but I don't know if they were taking video or still shots. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kjlutz
Tutorial Contributor

I am woman watch me grow!

Wherever you've been, He's been there

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013 01:10:35 PM »

that is awesome.  such a fun gift idea (I will need to remember this).  He looks fantastic.

PS I understand your pain with shipping and have had many similar frustrations over the years. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you get to change the world, and other times the world changes you.

Currently drowning in the sea called PhD.

Interested in swapping for I-Spy Quilt Squares and Scraps.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Deviled Ham-Cream Cheese Finger Sandwiches Recipe
Crock Pot Pork Roast Tenderloin and Gravy Recipe
Easy and Elegant Benedictine Finger Sandwiches Recipe
Sunday Morning Sausage Gravy Recipe
Crispy Bacon Topped Baked Beans Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...