A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 296,583
Currently Running With Scissors:
667 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Plaid Winter Coat  (Read 4213 times)
Tags for this thread: coat , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Chilan
« on: December 15, 2012 07:00:13 PM »

I made myself a plaid winter coat!  Photos first, more details at the bottom.

Front and Back:

Collar can be worn up or down (intent was up, but I was pleasantly surprised when I filled it down)

Buttons.  I love buttons.  I thought I liked bound buttonholes until I decided it was a good idea to stick this many onto one project.  Total bound buttonholes on this guy = 15

Cuffs and welt pocket:

Back tab detail:

Whew!  I am sorry for all the photos, but this was a big project and I wanted to share.  OK!  Details:
I started with Simplicity 2508 but obviously made quite a few changes to the pattern.  I have this habit of, when I make coats, I make them super tight and fitted in the waist and flair out in the skirt.  Fun, but I wanted something different, and something that I could actually wear in the winter like over a sweater or something.  I also really wanted the long A-line silhouette when the coat is worn open, which I think I succeeded in (third photo down!).  It's not crazy loose but it's totally functional, and I love the way it hangs when unbuttoned.
Fabric used:
Plaid is this fabric I found at JoAnns, as part of their "Plaiditudes" collection.  I was drawn to it because it looked like wool plaid coating, but it is actually just thick brushed cotton.  Basically it's glorified flannel.  Anyway, it looks nice and is decently thick, but I wanted more body (back to the A-line thing) and more warm.  So I interlined it with one ply of heavyweight fusible interlining (probably more for crafts that apparel, but I wanted it stiff) plus 1 ply of fusible weft interlining.  I sandwiched one ply of wool suiting between the two, using the 2nd ply of interlining to secure it (random note, I always buy the wool suiting when it is on sale and in the remnant pile for this purpose!).
A note about the plaid fabric.  I was super excited that I was able to find a plaid in a fabric that at least LOOKED like outer wear, and didn't have to order online or anything like that.  However, it was really tough to work with because it was SOOO SKEWED.  You can see the full length photos above, it looks like it's almost twisting.  It made it very difficult to plaid match, and a big chunk of it on one side of the selvage that was particularly bad was almost unusable.  SOOOO if anyone is eyeballing this fabric, that's just a warning to you. Be prepared and buy a LOT more than you think you need, even more than normal for plaid matching purposes.
Lining was brushed back satan.  It's black; I didn't take any photos.  I added a back pleat and bubbled the bottom hem, both of which I think are necessities for semi fitted coat project.
The cuff and neck have separate pieces made from waffle fabric.  They both have one ply of fusible fleece inside them for extra warmth.  I added a grommet to the corners of the interior collar for some extra interest.
OH and I didn't take photos of this, but the pocket bags are lined with the same fabric so if I ever forget my gloves, my hands will be toasty warm inside the pockets.
If you notice, some of the buttons have this weird white coating on it.  I gave the coat a spray of Scotch Guard, and it caused the white stuff.  So odd....
I think that's it!  Just in time for the cold weather, I was really starting to sweat while taking the photos (which is probably why I wasn't smiling... haha!)  Let me know what you think!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jatoha
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012 09:20:33 PM »

Shocked Oh Em Gee  Shocked

This rocks!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

iheartcooking
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012 11:31:48 PM »

This coat is beautiful and very dramatic.  I love all the details around the pockets and the sleeves.  It must have been very time consuming.  Impressive!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elderflower
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012 12:20:18 AM »

Very nice. This is a lovely pattern and suits the fabric beautifully. I'm sorry you had such a lot of work with the button holes but the final effect is extremely smart.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wendiek
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Creativity is a gift! Wrap it up and give it away.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012 04:35:59 AM »

Great work! I love all the small details.

Now wear it with pride!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012 07:15:49 AM »

Very pretty!  So many little details that make this rock! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AlenaSelene
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2012 01:46:44 PM »

I love it! It looks so warm and cozy.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
hgddm

What a piece of work is man!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2012 06:54:30 PM »

Fantastic work! Love the collar.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2012 10:52:20 AM »

wow, this is extremely well made, the obvious things like the bound buttonholes etc..but also the plaid matching is spot on..and I know that is a PITA...well done, this is fabulous
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ashling
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2012 07:18:41 AM »

That's pretty neat, I like it.  I've never done bound button holes, someday I'll have to try.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Chilan
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2012 04:04:44 PM »

Thanks you for the compliments!  Cheesy  I got to test drive it today because I finally got snow, and it is sooo warm.  Success!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chippet
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2012 07:24:35 PM »

It's beautiful - nice job. I really like how you lined the cuffs.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Calabaza
Tutorial Contributor

It's a long story.

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2012 04:11:24 PM »

Wow! You pulled out all the stops! Very smart and so many details, even ones we can't see like the interlinings!
Ah, yes, Plaiditudes. I have the same beef with them and their predecessor (British Frenzy): Skewwwy! You did an amazing job with yours.
Congrats on being featured! You deserve it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amelie
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2013 09:06:42 PM »

Shocked Holy plaid, Batman!  Shocked

This is absolutely astounding! You did such a gorgeous job, and I'm sure it'll keep you toasty this winter!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Everyone has talent. What is rare is the courage to follow that talent to the dark places where it leads." ~Erica Jong
rebecnik
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2013 03:25:18 AM »

Wow! This looks so amazing and professional! I do not see the mistakes you spoke of like the "twisting." Alright, I'm a newbie, and I have a question: what is "weft" interlining? And kudos for working with a fabric that has to be matched by the pattern. That combined with such heavy fabric (I'm too chicken for that), thick layers (also too chicken), and complicated additions (I'm scared of welt pockets) makes it all the more impressive!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Chilan
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2013 08:35:47 PM »

Weft interlining is basically a type of knit interlining.  I love using it on pretty much any project because it gives fabric a nice soft drape without being too stiff.  Specifically for this coat, I chose it because weft interlining is quite soft, it's brushed, and very porous.  More soft brushy porous areas means more air pockets in the fabric.  More air pockets means more warmth!  Smiley  I think.  I hope.  Haha!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rebecnik
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2013 03:16:06 AM »

Ah, I see. Thanks so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SevsOnlyGirl

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2013 05:58:12 AM »

What a gorgeous coat!  That was a huge project to tackle and you did a beautiful job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mrsflibble

will work for yarn

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2013 05:47:39 AM »

oh my!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eclecticlyfe
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2013 09:56:40 AM »

AMAZED!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"To become learned, each day add something. To become enlightened, each day drop something."  Lao Tzu
moon_angel314

Nature has music for those who listen....

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2013 08:49:34 PM »

That's cute Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Anna Banana
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use Distort Filters in Photoshop
Final Cut Pro 6: Two of the same Filters! Why?
Motion 3: Advanced Project Example
Motion 3: Optical Flow Retiming Demo
Motion 3: Learning the Interface
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Art Dolls
Meatless Monday: Texas Pecan Pesto
@Home This Weekend: Celebrate Your State

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...