A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,023
Currently Running With Scissors:
381 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Drawing help?  (Read 635 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

skatergirl1007
« on: December 15, 2012 08:18:08 AM »

Hi I am not great at drawing anything that is suppose to look good. I do great things with compasses and rulers though. Most likely cus they are just shapes and lines. But I would like to be able to draw a realistic cardinal. Unfortunately I can't draw well. So does anyone know of any websites or books that can help me draw a cardinal?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alexus1325
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013 08:25:05 AM »

When I was a kid, my parent's got me a beginner's book called "How to Draw Horses." It went through all the basic steps about mapping out the body (including a discussion of the proportions of different horse breeds) and then filling in the ellipses and other shapes to draw a realistic horse. At the very end was a section on shading and drawing hair.

I'm sure there's got to be a basic book with a title like "How to Draw Birds." Dover Books might have one in their Art Instruction section. Try searching Amazon and Chapters/Indigo, as well.

The most important thing is practice. You can't develop a skill, no matter how poor initially, unless you work at it constantly. One of the tricks I used was to trace my intended subject matter, over and over and over. I wanted to draw nudes, so the lingerie section of the Sears catalog was a great resource for me! In your case, a bird identification book would be a good place to start, or simply print off images of cardinals and other birds from the web.

A few pieces of equipment you'll need: a pack of art pencils or the highest quality regular pencils you can get, a good pencil sharpener (I own a Boston, the style on the right) and a good eraser (I like Staedtler brand), and high quality printer paper designed for an inkjet (because it's cheaper than real art paper but still has a nice texture). Basic things like tracing paper and clipboards you can get at a dollar store.

So really, it's all about having high-quality basic equipment and a LOT of persistence Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

skatergirl1007
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013 07:54:34 AM »

Thanks!! I now have to start finding pictures of cardinals that I like. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
starlasangue
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013 05:42:20 AM »

Anatomy.
It's the key to success.

Oh and yes, the persistence...and tolerance...and never give up, just draw and draw and draw and draw and draw and draw and draw (okay perhaps sometimes you can eat..and sleep..and pet your cat)..and draw and draw and draw.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rockingbearranch
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013 04:27:31 AM »

Great art can be made with found materials also. Beginners have undeveloped hands so practice is essential. Let yourself doodle all the time and you'll see your style come out. I carry a really nice ink pen and a mini notebook.

I've noticed sometimes people who are strongly attracted to line, do better when focusing on a smaller part of a complex object.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
danhoneybun
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2014 10:04:26 PM »

I got these two books called Anyone Can Draw and Drawing Class which have every step of learning to draw more realistic things. I've been working through them for the last few weeks, practicing and pushing myself more and more and they've really helped! I'd check them out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Handmade Nylon Pouch Travel Bag
How to Design T-Shirts With Potato Stamps
How to Knit Spell Bound Scarves
How to Make a Tooth Fairy Pillow
How to Create Laminated Service Lists
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes
Meatless Monday: No Meat Lasagna

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...