A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 296,710
Currently Running With Scissors:
542 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Making paper in the kitchen.  (Read 1599 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Antidigger
« on: December 14, 2012 09:33:47 AM »

I am so absurdly proud of this. 9 signatures of handmade paper, that's my handmade paper, made by my own hands over the summer this year. Every hot sunny day (and there weren't many of them in the UK this year) I was outside with my hands in cold water. Due to the drying time required and the equipment I have, I could do a maximum of 4 sheets in a day. I've learned an awful lot doing it, and will be making paper again next year Smiley. The book is coptic bound as the recipient loves all thing egyptian, tenuous connection I know, but I had to decide somehow!

All pages are made with recycled paper: I took the pile of recycling, chose from the non glossy stuff and just placed it in colour matched piles. The stronger the colours in the chosen paper, the stronger the colours come out when dry. I tore the paper into bits, mixed with water and blended it to get the pulp. Sometimes I then added bits: threads, flower petals, herbs, glitter e.t.c.

Things I learned:
  • Blending the pulp in warm water makes it pulp down quicker
  • Wallpaper, even when torn into little fingernail size pieces doesn't pulp down
  • Flower petals, contrary to reasonable expectations, even when massively fragile, also don't shred in the blender
  • There is such a thing as too much glitter in the mix
  • All your neighbours will come and ask what you're doing
  • Threads look better when they are longer, but it makes it much more of a pain to get an even coating on your deckle.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
Solitary Cricket
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012 10:07:27 AM »

This looks awesome! The colors you attained are so vibrant I thought you added dye or soemthing before I read your post. For the first time ever, I am inspired to try my hand at paper making.

Are there a lot of supplies involved? Do you have a tute you used or something?

THIS ROCKS   Logged
lovesclutter
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Nothing is safe in its native form.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012 10:56:40 AM »

These are so awesome. I figured dyes as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
Kookaloo_Starr

the best things in life aren't things!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012 12:24:02 PM »

Justifiably proud Antidigger! You've done a sterling job  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Use what talent you possess - the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best"

50 in '14
Antidigger
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012 12:53:54 PM »

Ingredients: paper to recycle, inclusions, warm water.

Tools: deckle (picture frame with netting stapled on as tight as I could), water container large enough so that you can get your deckle in and out of it while keeping it flat (I used a seed tray), blender, sponge (apparently natural works better for this-but I didn't find any problems with synthetic), bit of old towel (I used unpaper towels), old handkerchiefs, flat surface, blotting paper, rolling pin, somewhere to dry stuff.

Tear your paper into stamp sized pieces. Stuff your blender with paper pieces about 1/2 to 3/4 full, pour warm water over it til about the same height. Blend, slowly at first, then speeding up after about 30 seconds. Until it is just pulp. If you want to add things in, this is the stage to do it.

In a separate, but possible parallel, stage: put out your water container, place the deckle inside, fill it to just cover the netting (the netting should be on the top surface).

Take your paper pulp and pour/spoon/ladle it onto your deckle so that all the netting is covered in a thin layer of paper pulp, if you have to stir it round with your finger that's fine. The thicker the layer the harder it will be to get all the water out and the quicker you'll use up all your resources. Lift the deckle out of the water whilst keeping it flat. Allow to drain as much as possible.

Place your handkerchief over the top of the pulp, gently press out some of the water with the sponge, not putting much pressure on the netting at all. Put out your towel, turn the deckle pulp handkerchief sandwich over so the handkerchief is face down on top of the towel. Keeping the deckle in place, push out as much of the water as you can at this stage, using the sponge (wringing it out regularly).

Take the deckle off and replace it with a sheet of blotting paper, turn the whole thing over again, take off the bit of towel and this time roll it out with your rolling pin.

Now take off the handkerchief and replace it with a piece of blotting paper, turn your blotting paper sandwich over and roll out again.

Peel off both bits of blotting paper, admire your new sheet and put it somewhere to dry flat.

Also put your handkerchief, bit of towel, and 2 sheets of blotting paper out to dry somewhere.

Repeat until you've run out of pulp, or dry handkerchieves, towels or blotting paper.

Gracious this is a soggy hobby. Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinokeeo

Best of 2013 winner, but this is just as good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2012 02:14:22 PM »

This is truly amazing and beautiful.  Good on you.

And thanks for the tutorial.  I may not ever make paper, but it's good to know that help is available, should I ever attempt it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Scrapbookingteacher
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013 06:51:35 PM »

My boss adds flower seeds and makes birthday cards that she asks us to plant when we are finished looking at them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mandykaye
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2013 06:08:25 PM »

Oh how lovely! I would not want to write in that little book with all the work put into it  Wink But it would be a beautiful gift!! Well done!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftica
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013 11:02:42 AM »

It is really awesome. I love paper craft and paper making. Next time, take  photos of paper sheets, to show us all.

http://www.nest2rest.blogspot.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Antidigger
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2013 01:04:14 PM »

Thank you everyone for your kind words. Maybe I might remember to take more photos, I'm pretty dreadful like that though. If I get some really exciting paper it might trigger a photo, but really each sheet didn't look that good until they all went together.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Pulitzer Prizes Awarded To The Guardian, The Washington Post
Why No One Won A Pulitzer For Feature Writing This Year
Actress Kellie Martin on Her New Book
The Mythical Origins of Human Civilization
Piecing Together the Story of Unclaimed Riches
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...