A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,380
Currently Running With Scissors:
498 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: [ACCEPTED] any weavers out there?  (Read 1276 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

annalou
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« on: June 30, 2005 09:43:03 PM »

Greetings one and all!

A few of us posting weaving ideas and questions are expressing questions about why the topic for that board is "Crocheting and Misc. Weaving" since crocheting and weaving are so different.  Any thoughts on the subject?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008 10:43:07 AM by jungrrl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

When's the last time you were inspired?
meg4568
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2005 08:15:03 AM »

Ok, so a lot of us have been talking, and us weavers REALLY want our own board!!! Mostly this stems from being stuck in with crocheters, not that we have a problem with then but they are almost completely unrelated. Crochet has absolutely nothing in common with weaving......at all.......except yarn........thats it. Also i have a problem getting feedback about my work and i think its cuz its usually put in a place where it doesnt really fit... :'(and i feel so left out.

There arent a lot of us out there right now, but we were thinking if we made the first few posts just tutorials and weaving history & contemporary works, etc. then we could generate a lot of interest.

And if it doesn't do well after a while we can get rid of it.
just give us a shot!!
pleeeeeeeeaaaaaaaas ssssssssseeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeee??? Embarrassed
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amie

Get Hooked on Style!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2005 08:22:17 AM »

Great idea Meg.  I agree.  As an active crocheter on that board, I see that weavers don't get as many hits on their posts, and that's because you've been lumped in with us.  It would be like lumping you in with printmakers or sculptors.  it just doesn't make sense, except for the yarn connection.  And to have an OFFICIAL board where both Spinners and Weavers could chat, would be better fitting.  And what I mean by official, is like how the QUILTERS have their own board, or the KNITTERS have their own board.  Spinning shouldn't be lumped in with MISC. for sure. 

I've already contacted Leah about this.  Anyone else who agrees should email her DIRECTLY:

admin@craftster.org.

Amie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amie

Get Hooked on Style!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2005 06:20:30 PM »

It should be on it's own board with spinners!  and maybe even latch hookers!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

annalou

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2005 08:38:33 PM »

and basketry and braiding.

Anna Lou
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amie

Get Hooked on Style!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2005 02:46:35 AM »

That would be another great one!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amie

Get Hooked on Style!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2005 02:20:47 PM »

To the Cratster Goddesses:

Thank you for moving all these threads!  I now know there is a place to ask for a new Board.  Ya learn something new everyday!

P.S.  I know there is a place for spinners, but I still feel as though there should be an official place for spinners and weavers.  ANY THOUGHTS GODDESSES?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

leah
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

formerly "the craftster admin" - viva craftster!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2005 02:55:11 PM »

Okee dokee... So I made a new top-level category called "OTHER FIBER ARTS" and in that I moved "Spinning" and then made a new board for "Weaving."

Are there any other boards I should add under "OTHER FIBER ARTS"?  Like I'm wondering about felting.  I think if you knit something and felt it, it should be posted under "Knitting."  But are there other kinds of felting?  I'm sorry to be so out of the loop on this! Tongue

Or perhaps just a category called "All Other Fiber Arts" where anything else could be posted??

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Want to support Craftster? Find out about becoming a Friend of Craftster!

{ craftastic.com | leahkramer.com | helloadorable.com }
amie

Get Hooked on Style!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2005 02:59:23 PM »

SUPER COOL LEAH!  And I like the idea of calling it OTHER FIBER ARTS.  That's cool.

I think people who felt knitting and crochet tend to post on their own board, but in way do I want to speak for them.  What about posting a link to this thread in both KNITTING and CROCHET to see what others think?

Other kinds of felting...There are those who just make felt almost like how handmade paper is made. 

I'd say ask what others think on those boards for sure...

Thanks again Leah!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

annalou

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2005 06:31:52 PM »

Okee dokee... So I made a new top-level category called "OTHER FIBER ARTS" and in that I moved "Spinning" and then made a new board for "Weaving."

Are there any other boards I should add under "OTHER FIBER ARTS"?  Like I'm wondering about felting.  I think if you knit something and felt it, it should be posted under "Knitting."  But are there other kinds of felting?  I'm sorry to be so out of the loop on this! Tongue

Or perhaps just a category called "All Other Fiber Arts" where anything else could be posted??

Thanks again!

On the subject of felting, here in Seattle many people do felt work that is not knit or crochet.  Some of the schools teach it in lower grades, and then the parents get into it.  It would definately fit the theme of "other fiber arts," but the difficulty is distinguishing it from the other form (if you wanted to).  Some people would call it "needle felting," but you can needle felt on top of crochet or knit fabric as well.  Anyway, you can make all kinds of fun stuff with it--I've seen amazing pictures and sculptures.

I'm not sure how many messages are out there, but I've seen a few other fibers arts mentioned in stray areas.  The 2 that come to mind at the moment are tatting and kumihimo (a Japanese brading technique which also has counterparts in Africa and South America).  Also, I'm not sure if there are many lace makers (besides tatters), but there are all the forms of lace that aren't knit or crochet, but a mixture of weaving, sewing, or knot making.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2005 06:57:27 PM by annalou » THIS ROCKS   Logged

meg4568
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2005 07:18:22 AM »

well when i studied felting in school we did :
wet felting- which is combing out loose wool roving and layering it and then irritating it with hot water and soap, and rubbing it with a screen and plastic bags or anything with texture. it creates a piece of fabric that is hled together only by the tangled fibers.
Then needle felting- Which is how i made that little owl to the left which is like sculpture with wool.

What about experimental Knotwork and ropework? Coiling? Basketry? (do we have a basketry board?)
thats all i can think of right now
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Understand Basic Sewing Terms
How to Make Paper from Plant Fibers
How to Make Paper from Recycled Paper
How to Make Placemats Out Of Wooden Chopsticks
How to Make Seashell Crafts
Latest Blog Articles
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects
How to Make Summer Treats
July is National Blueberry Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...