A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,072
Currently Running With Scissors:
673 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Color question: brown with silver or gold?  (Read 978 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ShiningStar
« on: July 02, 2005 12:56:11 PM »

Hi,
I'm going to make a necklace and earring set.  I just bought a chocolate brown top.  I wanted to use brown and/ cream glass beads.  Can this work with sterling silver or is it better with gold filled chain or it doesn't really matter?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are  --John Wooden
thevaticant

I'm cold. And my legs hurt.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2005 01:01:13 PM »

personally, i'd use gold...it would go with the "warm" tones.  but i'm sure it doesn't really matter.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ask not what your rest home can do for you, but what you can do for your rest home.
Ayn
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2005 09:50:02 AM »

Hi shiningstar --
I used to be pretty much of a traditionalist when it came to using all-'warms' or all-'cools' in matching up beads colors & metal colors. ...

However, two things have suddenly changed my mind about this:
(1) the huge recent jewelry trend that pairs genuine turquoise stones or beads with 'gold' instead of the usual traditional silver.  Back in 60s for example, silver+turquoise was SO common as to be, well, almost 'boring', y'know? ... ... and
(2) falling in love with/simply *having to* own a stunning (& quite expensive) chunky handmade sterling bracelet chock-full o' dangles in genuine tigereye plus huge lampwork beads done in striking tiger patterns/colors --- all the tigereye or similar jewelry I'd ever owned before (or had ever seen) was done in the much-more-traditional 'gold' rather than sterling. ...

Suddenly it dawned on me ...in jewelry, color pairings which are less-common, less-traditional --well, shall we go ahead & say it: "less-PREDICTABLE"! -- can be fabulous and even useful.
Even people like me -- whose *wardrobe* colors & styles tend to be too often traditional and, er, ok borrring -- can very easily spice things up with numerous slightly-surprising jewelry colors & styles. 

In fact I just managed to go soo far out of character as to make myself a necklace pairing up a huge brilliant-orange & yellow handmade glass focal bead flanked by two big fancy sterling beads ... hey, it's a start dontcha know! And I couldn't believe the compliments I received on it; sheesh, couple of folks tried to buy it right off  off my neck. 

Well, bottom line here is:
Just Go For It -- first try the rather-less-predictable combo of silver w brown & cream.
If it turns out that you absolutely cannot tolerate it -- well, one great thing about making your own jewelry is that you can always RE-make it, in this case with the rather-more-traditional gold instead.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
StarSix
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2005 11:42:23 PM »

I recently did an earthy necklace with bone, stones, and wooden beads - mostly all brown and cream, and I did it using silver findings and such, and it turned out fine.  There are no rules...don't worry.  Try things out, and if you don't like them, you can always change it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's not Beethoven, but it sure bounces!

~ The Aristocats
StephInTheCity
candy-coated crafter

Crafting is sexy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2005 08:45:53 AM »

I agree with Ayn--unexpected combos are much more striking, and you can always change it if you don't like it.  Also, how about copper with brown, or a couple of different metals?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If I was any more open, I'd be inside out.
theartofmegan
Tutorial Contributor

One Crafty Wife Lady

Cr4ftN3rd. <3

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2005 08:58:18 AM »

The coolest thing about brown:

Brown is a combination of all 3 primary colors.  This makes it a NEUTRAL tone.  Best thing about neutrals?  They're neither cool nor warm.  That works out perfectly, because it means you have a choice!  Gold used with brown calls more attention to the amber and warm tones in the bead.  Silver with brown will have a tendency to pull attention to the more chocolatey, beige-y overtones.  Personally, i use brown with sterling silver quite often, and people dig it Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Art, Crafts, Fashion, Love.
http://www.theartofmegan.com

Visit my Etsy Stores!

The Art of Megan
Handmade, Vintage, and Recycled Craft Supplies at http://theartofmegan.etsy.com

HomeGrown Fashion
Unique, down-to-earth fashion, accessories, and home decor
http://homegrownfashion.etsy.com
DsgndbyRJ
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2005 10:31:11 AM »

I recently used both silver and copper with brown - love 'em both and they both have a different vibe to them.  So I say depends on the design - whether it's more traditional or more funky and mod.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.RJBeads.etsy.com - beads and jewelry making supplies! **SALE ALERT**

www.designedbyrj.blogspot.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Cheddar Steak Sandwich Recipe
Basic Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipe
Fresh Fried Corn Recipe
Jalapeno Cheddar Rice Casserole Recipe
Brown Sugar-Soy Sauce Marinated Chicken Kebabs Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...