A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 296,652
Currently Running With Scissors:
683 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help! My Spouse is a Carnivore!  (Read 8365 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Annchen
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Yarrrn...

Yarn keeps me sane(ish)

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #60 on: February 10, 2013 02:00:01 AM »

Roasting the veggies for vegetable soup makes all the difference! I like making vegetable soup and then blending it to get a nice smooth texture, but hubby thinks it's kind of bland. But since I started roasting some of the veggies he's starting to admit that the soup is good Wink

I've made a couple different versions. I roast some of the veggies in the oven while I prepare a thin vegetable soup on the stovetop (usually potato, some kind of onion or leek and perhaps a bit of carrot + vegetable stock). I fry up the onions and vegetables in the pan, season a bit and then add water and 1-2 stock cubes. Bring to a boil and allow to simmer until the vegetables are cooked. The soup should look a bit thin.

I've roasted sweet potatoes, garlic and potato, but butternut squash sounds delicious too. Don't bother peeling the veggies before roasting, just make sure they are clean and cut into smaller pieces. If I use a bulb of garlic I just cut off the top and pour some olive oil over it, if I want less garlic I put as many cloves as I want on the baking tray (not peeled!). I use olive oil and whatever seasoning I feel like. Bake until soft and then let everything cool a little bit. When the veggies are roasted it's easy to peel them. I usually peel and put the garlic in its own little bowl since I might not want to add all of it to the soup.

I use a hand blender and start blending the soup in the pan, adding the roasted veggies and some of the roasted garlic. If it's too thick I add more water and stock. When it's all smooth I taste to see if it needs more garlic or more seasoning. The first batch I made was a bit garlic heavy, so I don't dump it all in at once anymore Grin

I guess you could roast all the veggies and just blend them with stock, but my oven is not big enough for huge batches of roasted veggies so I use the thin potato soup base to make sure I get a lot of soup, and just use the roasted veggies for flavour.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013 02:00:37 AM by Annchen » THIS ROCKS   Logged
mrraawwr

I feel craftastic!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: February 11, 2013 01:07:01 PM »

Roasting the veggies for vegetable soup makes all the difference! I like making vegetable soup and then blending it to get a nice smooth texture, but hubby thinks it's kind of bland. But since I started roasting some of the veggies he's starting to admit that the soup is good Wink

I've made a couple different versions. I roast some of the veggies in the oven while I prepare a thin vegetable soup on the stovetop (usually potato, some kind of onion or leek and perhaps a bit of carrot + vegetable stock). I fry up the onions and vegetables in the pan, season a bit and then add water and 1-2 stock cubes. Bring to a boil and allow to simmer until the vegetables are cooked. The soup should look a bit thin.

I've roasted sweet potatoes, garlic and potato, but butternut squash sounds delicious too. Don't bother peeling the veggies before roasting, just make sure they are clean and cut into smaller pieces. If I use a bulb of garlic I just cut off the top and pour some olive oil over it, if I want less garlic I put as many cloves as I want on the baking tray (not peeled!). I use olive oil and whatever seasoning I feel like. Bake until soft and then let everything cool a little bit. When the veggies are roasted it's easy to peel them. I usually peel and put the garlic in its own little bowl since I might not want to add all of it to the soup.

I use a hand blender and start blending the soup in the pan, adding the roasted veggies and some of the roasted garlic. If it's too thick I add more water and stock. When it's all smooth I taste to see if it needs more garlic or more seasoning. The first batch I made was a bit garlic heavy, so I don't dump it all in at once anymore Grin

I guess you could roast all the veggies and just blend them with stock, but my oven is not big enough for huge batches of roasted veggies so I use the thin potato soup base to make sure I get a lot of soup, and just use the roasted veggies for flavour.

That sounds delicious, although... can there ever be too much garlic? I think not!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see" - Henry David Thoreau

Current swaps: Middle earth
- Would love to do personal swaps!

http://www.pinterest.com/mrraawwr/
Annchen

Yarrrn...

Yarn keeps me sane(ish)

« Reply #62 on: February 11, 2013 02:42:17 PM »

Then you'll love roasting garlic! I sometimes tuck a sprig of rosemary in the garlic bulb. You can just squeeze out the roasted cloves and eat them as they are if you're a garlic lover. I've used them for a lot of things. Baked potato + butter + roasted garlic was really good.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mrraawwr

I feel craftastic!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: February 14, 2013 06:19:20 AM »

Then you'll love roasting garlic! I sometimes tuck a sprig of rosemary in the garlic bulb. You can just squeeze out the roasted cloves and eat them as they are if you're a garlic lover. I've used them for a lot of things. Baked potato + butter + roasted garlic was really good.

Stop it! You're making me drool!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see" - Henry David Thoreau

Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

Liberal Tie-Dyed Tree Hugger

« Reply #64 on: April 04, 2013 07:51:31 AM »

I made a modified version of this lentil tacos recipe last night:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/tasty-lentil-tacos-2/

It was pretty good and the hubs ate it without complaint!

Have you tried anything new lately, Lime?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LimeRiot
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Sublime

« Reply #65 on: April 04, 2013 01:17:58 PM »

That looks good, Abbeeroad. Tacos are always a hit here. What kind of modifications did you make?

I've been cooking a lot of veggie meals lately! Here are a few of the recipes that have been a hit with both the veg and meat lovers around here Smiley.

Cheesy Spinach Baked Penne - I used ricotta instead of cottage cheese
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/cheesy-spinach-baked-penne-recipe/index.html

Kung Pao Sliders - the slaw is so yummy and so is the tofu. I also had pre cooked bbq pork available for my hubby and friend so they could mix and match.
http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipe/kung-pao-sliders/

Vegetarian Gumbo - basically a vegetable stew but really hearty and filling
http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipe/vegetarian-gumbo/

Crispy Chipotle Bean Burritos - these are fun because they are made with phyllo dough!
http://www.bhg.com/recipe/crispy-chipotle-bean-burritos/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest!
My Blog!

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #66 on: April 18, 2013 07:21:02 AM »

ooo...the sliders and the burritos sound delicious! I have a friend who swears by dry frying tofu before marinating.  But I have yet to try. I'm not sure what the advantage is. The penne sounds good, but spinach is hit of miss for us, as too much makes both of us gag, lol.

For the lentil tacos, I used enchilada sauce instead of broth because it was what I had and left out the taco seasoning (it was already in the sauce).

I'm trying this recipe tonight: http://www.cookincanuck.com/2011/11/cannellini-bean-vegetarian-meatballs-with-tomato-sauce-recipe/

We'll see how it goes!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mrraawwr

I feel craftastic!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: April 18, 2013 09:47:25 AM »

I'm making this Swedish dish called "cabbage pudding". It's basically cabbage and red lentils (normally minced meat) in an oven form. And then i serve it with potatoes and my go-to-gravy: cream, lingonberries and "messmr" (a kind of butter made from whey...). It may sound weird, but it's delicious! The lingonberries add a fruity acidity and the messmr makes it sweeter. Nomnom!

Here's a recipe. But if anyone wants mine I can write it down later Smiley
http://tummyrumble.hultberg.org/2010/07/cabbage-pudding-classic-swedish-dish.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

~*Craftster formerly known as jennieingram*~

I really need a Sonic Seam Ripper.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: April 18, 2013 10:21:38 AM »

I have a friend who swears by dry frying tofu before marinating.  But I have yet to try. I'm not sure what the advantage is.

I always dry my tofu first.  I dry it on a clean tea towel or paper towels.  Since it's kind of like a sponge, I dry it so that it can absorb more of the marinade.  

If I'm cooking it in a pan, and want it to get crispy though, (without any sort of marinade), I actually pour off the water it comes in, they soak it in warm salted water for about 20-30 mins., THEN dry it and cook it up in our cast iron skillet.  It comes out all crispy and delicious.  Check out this web page about it:  http://herbivoracious.com/2012/05/how-to-make-tofu-really-freaking-delicious-tofu-101.html  
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie's Etsy | Pinterest | Harry Potter Craftalong - Spring Semester

It does not due to dwell on dreams and forget to craft.
Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #69 on: April 19, 2013 05:31:19 AM »

I have a friend who swears by dry frying tofu before marinating.  But I have yet to try. I'm not sure what the advantage is.

I always dry my tofu first.  I dry it on a clean tea towel or paper towels.  Since it's kind of like a sponge, I dry it so that it can absorb more of the marinade. 

If I'm cooking it in a pan, and want it to get crispy though, (without any sort of marinade), I actually pour off the water it comes in, they soak it in warm salted water for about 20-30 mins., THEN dry it and cook it up in our cast iron skillet.  It comes out all crispy and delicious.  Check out this web page about it:  http://herbivoracious.com/2012/05/how-to-make-tofu-really-freaking-delicious-tofu-101.html 

Awesome. I have yet to cook tofu on my own, but I order it out frequently. I LOVE it crispy and had no idea how to do it at home. Will be trying this for sure. Thanks jennie!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
CFL Reader Kattya Servillon Gets a Makeover
CFL Reader Stephany Prata Paiva Gets a Makeover
How to Get Vampire Eyes for Halloween
Inside Cosmo for Latinas Fall/Winter Issue
Tips for a Sexy Smokey Eye
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...