A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,124
Currently Running With Scissors:
619 Guests and 35 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help! My Spouse is a Carnivore!  (Read 8586 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*Craftster formerly known as jennieingram*~

I really need a Sonic Seam Ripper.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2013 11:49:55 AM »

I know that this suggestion may not help everyone, but I'll offer it as I've found it helpful lately.  While I do eat meat sometimes, I don't really like touching raw meat.  Especially chicken.  Just grosses me out.  So I've started buying vegan meat alternatives, like tofurkey sausages.  I tried to get DH to eat some, but though he tried, he wasn't impressed.  I did realize however, that cutting up and browning some fully-cooked sausage for him didn't bother me too much.  He *loves* andouille, and I don't.  So I cut up a tofurkey sausage for me, brown it in a pan, then put his in the same pan next.  He gets to have meat, and I don't have to touch anything slimy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie's Etsy | Pinterest | Harry Potter Craftalong - Summer Semester

It does not due to dwell on dreams and forget to craft.
LimeRiot
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Sublime

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2013 12:27:08 PM »

What, gals? These guys can't cook meat? You're kidding, right? Stick a pile of chicken thighs or pork chops in the crockpot, add a little liquid/flavoring, turn it on and go. Use slow cooker bags so you don't have a huge mess to clean up. Drag out the grill for him on alternate nights - I know few men who don't love to start a fire and cook meat on it.

My hubby does cook for himself sometimes. He definitely enjoys putting meat on the fire and grunting about it Smiley. I don't think anyone is suggesting that our spouses would starve if we don't cook for them.

I just think there is something special about really sharing a meal together and enjoying the same foods. Also, feeding my hubby food that satisfies him and makes him happy, makes me happy too! It's one of the ways that I love and support him so I like hearing about recipes and other ideas for creating meals that veggies and meaters both like Smiley.

I made falafels recently and my husband LOVED them. He's even asked for me to make them again. I baked the little patties instead of frying them so it was a relatively healthy meal. I'm definitely adding this to my recipe book.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013 12:27:44 PM by LimeRiot » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest!
My Blog!

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

~*Craftster formerly known as jennieingram*~

I really need a Sonic Seam Ripper.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2013 02:11:26 PM »

Mmm.... I love falafel....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie's Etsy | Pinterest | Harry Potter Craftalong - Summer Semester

It does not due to dwell on dreams and forget to craft.
LimeRiot

Tutorial Contributor

Sublime

« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2013 02:35:00 PM »

Me too!! So flavorful and filling!

This is the recipe I used... http://allrecipes.com/recipe/seans-falafel-and-cucumber-sauce/detail.aspx

Instead of making 8 largish patties I made a bunch of smaller ones. I baked them in a 400 degree oven for about 10 min on each side. I used non fat yogurt and light mayo for the cucumber sauce and it was still delicious!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest!
My Blog!

SunflowerSmiles

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2013 05:42:12 PM »

I love falafel too!  I've got to try your recipe Lime. I've a recipe I've used in my healthy eating cookbook that I really liked but this one sounds better.

I find my husband really likes what I cook, if it's without meat, when it's super flavor packed and has lots of texture and staying power.  So that's my mission this year.

CraftyChef, my husband won't eat most meat second day unless I put it in something like a pasta dish or casserole, so if I make something in the crockpot it usually gets wasted. I just don't like meat and trying to use it up in a dish, I just don't like it. He typically wants meat for dinner time meals but it has to be cooked fresh or put in something, even that he's picky about. He gets take out if I don't cook. Even with a BBQ..unless it's summer and he can sit out there with a beer.  Smiley

I'm kind of a freak about salmonella and cross contamination so anytime I cook chicken I'm constantly washing everything and over cooking it. I rarely eat red meat. I'm talking once or twice a year or when we go out for a hamburger every once in awhile. I'm just tired of meat, I usually ruin it and it really ruins my cooking experience that I really really enjoy sooooo

NEW Year and NEW eating Habits!!!  Although, I will say the baked chicken I picked up at the grocery store for the football game was really really good.  Cheesy Smiley

GO HAWKS!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

This and That... my main blog. Drop by and say "Hello!"
  Sew Stuffed a blog about the dolls and stuffies I make
    Pinterest
Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

Liberal Tie-Dyed Tree Hugger

« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2013 01:42:22 PM »

I made a mushroom goulash the other night that the meat-lover loved!

Here's the recipe I used: http://www.pafbcounties.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=123:mushroom-goulash&catid=35:county-farm-bureau-list&Itemid=72

I'm going to try that falafel recipe. We have a terrible track record with that dish in my house. Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AugustBell

« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2013 05:49:56 PM »

I'm so glad to find this thread! I was a vegan in my early twenties, but quit because I got tired of it and my DH was still wanting meat all the time. Six years later I'm a lot bigger than I was back then and just overall feeling "blah". So I recently made the decision to return to the vegan lifestyle. So far it's going wonderfully. Things are different now. While my DH still loves his meat, he is much more open to eating mostly vegan meals with me. We are both in much worse physical condition than we were when we first got married. So I'm really trying to work hard to make things that he (and my 2 year old) will eat and enjoy. My son doesn't really care for meat, so he's easy. I made sloppy lentils and they were delicious. DH went back for seconds. I cheated and used Manwich, but I won't be doing that in the future. I found some yummy looking recipes for oil free homemade versions.

Anyways, I wanted to share what I made the other night. The ingredients cost $5 or less and made a lot. I put two big handfuls of fresh spinach into a skillet and cooked until the wilted. Then I added two cans of the Garlic, Basil, and Oregano seasoned diced tomatoes, juice and all into the pan along with a can of rinsed and drained black beans. Meanwhile I boiled a pot of whole wheat penne. Anyways, I cooked the sauce for about 30 minutes on low after it boiled, and ladled it over the pasta. It didn't need any other seasoning whatsoever, and was delicious! I took some for lunch today and it was just as good reheated.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

Liberal Tie-Dyed Tree Hugger

« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2013 06:22:11 PM »

I'm here to report that the falafel recipe LimeRiot provided was a huge hit in this house tonight!! Thanks so much for contributing to my first falafel success!

I did fry it, because hubby loves it crispy, and will pretty much eat anything as long as I fry it first, but it was delicious. We put it in a pita with lettuce and tomato and a ranch/hot sauce mixture. Veggie BIL and meat-loving hubby BOTH said it was amazing.

I really think the trick to this recipe is that the chickpeas are smashed rather than put in the food processor. I've always had my falafel fall apart, but not this time!! Thanks again for sharing, Lime!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mrraawwr

I feel craftastic!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2013 12:39:03 AM »

When reading this, my first reaction is "why can't they cook themselves?". I think families should just accept what the cook makes (I did the same while living at home!). If someone desperately craves mea I think they should cook it themselves. However, I do understand the need for good meat substitutes, even though i highly doubt that anybody can't live without meat due to lack of proteins - there are a lot of good examples of MMA fighters that are vegan and such.

My BF isn't vegetarian, I am. We've found that replacing ground meat with red lentils works excellent! For lasagne, tacos, bolognese etc. Also, just making lentil-burgers are simple, not too fast but make a large batch and throw 'em in the freezer! Wink For new years eve and christmas i made hazelnut-balls (LOL) instead of meatballs. The hazelnuts give the balls a "meaty" flavour.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see" - Henry David Thoreau

Current swaps: Middle earth
- Would love to do personal swaps!

http://www.pinterest.com/mrraawwr/
LimeRiot

Tutorial Contributor

Sublime

« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2013 08:01:29 AM »

Abbeeroad - I'm so glad you had success with that recipe! It's definitely become a favorite in our house too. I roll the balls in panko before smooshing them into patties and baking. That gives them a little extra crisp but probably not as good as frying them.

mrraawwr - I'm a little old fashioned but I enjoy cooking for my hubby and while he's capable of feeding himself and does cook now and then, I like to prepare meals for him Smiley. Every family is different though and it's just about finding what works best, I suppose.

Thanks for the suggestions! I've been using more lentils recently. I made lentil sloppy joes and plan to do lentil tacos this week.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest!
My Blog!

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Body World Exhibition
Makerbot-Made 3D Zoetrope and 3D Sculptures
Creating the Vica Illusion Sculpture on the Makerbot
MakerBot Made Skull from Dissolving PVA Time Lapse
Patrick Dillon a Vietnam Veteran Makes Horrific Art
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...