A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 299,175
Currently Running With Scissors:
563 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help! My Spouse is a Carnivore!  (Read 9361 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LimeRiot
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Sublime

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2012 08:24:54 PM »

kjlutz - I got the cookbook you recommended today, More with Less. My Aunt sent it to me as an early b-day present. I'm looking forward to reading it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Retro_Rose

I shoot people for a living. ;o)

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2012 11:46:17 PM »

Hm, some interesting answers. I know I personally will never buy meat. Just wondering how people deal with that in a marriage where income is combined. Does your spouse have a separate allowance for meat, or is it just not done?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kjlutz
Tutorial Contributor

I am woman watch me grow!

Wherever you've been, He's been there

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2012 07:55:25 AM »

kjlutz - I got the cookbook you recommended today, More with Less. My Aunt sent it to me as an early b-day present. I'm looking forward to reading it.

enjoy it, I love it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you get to change the world, and other times the world changes you.

Currently drowning in the sea called PhD.

Interested in swapping for I-Spy Quilt Squares and Scraps.
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

~*Harry Potter Craftalong Headmistress*~

I really need a Sonic Seam Ripper.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2012 05:30:04 PM »

Disclaimer:  Neither my husband or I are actually vegetarians.  DH is a Midwestern boy from a household that has meat in every meal.  However, he is very open to trying new things, though he does still love meat.  I went vegetarian as a teenager, but didn't do very well with it.  Mostly because it was hard to be the *only* person in the house like that, with a mom who believed dinner wasn't complete without meat.  Plus, I was bordering on an eating disorder, and ate very little anyways.  I went back to eating meat in college due to limited selection in the dining hall.

That being said, I've been following this thread for a while and was so happy to find it.  I've struggled with my weight since college, and I've never been a very physically active person.  Always preferred reading and crafting to playing sports.  Grad school was really rough, since I had classes, work, homework, and had to feed DH & I.  That led to poor eating habits.  Now that I'm in my 30's, and contemplating kids in the next few years, I'd like to be healthier not only for myself, but for them too.  Finally, I've become lactose-intolerant, which breaks my heart, as I love cheese.  This has led to me working on cutting out all dairy from my diet too, and replacing it with almond milk, vegan cheese, etc.

I started with trying to make myself healthy lunches for work, that I actually wanted to eat when lunch time rolled around.  In the last few months that has evolved into healthier vegan or vegetarian breakfasts & lunches.  Making large batches of smoothies and freezing them in individual portions has helped.  I also started buying tons more veggies that are easy to pop into lunch boxes when I'm rushing to make lunch in the morning.  (I'm now addicted to Sugar Snap Peas.)

Meanwhile, I decided to try working in a few vegetarian dinners a week that DH will actually enjoy.  This is harder on me in some ways, since we always had meat as kids, and I don't really have any vegetarian recipes in my repertoire.  It's like learning how to cook from scratch again.  Also, DH LOVES Mexican food, which is frequently covered/filled with cheese & meat.  I learned to cook it for him when we were dating, but despite the fact that he likes Mexican, he's not excited about the idea of Sweet Potato Enchiladas or Vegan Chili.  And some nights he just looks sad when he sees dinner, and realizes there's no meat in it.  He never complains, and never says a bad word about what I cook.  But I can tell when he's disappointed.  (Also, why does it seem like every freakin' vegetarian cookbook out there has nothing but cheese laden recipes?!?!)

Some nights I make us similar, but slightly different things.  Like a veggie burger for me, and a real burger for him, and vegan mashed potatoes for both of us.  Some nights, I don't have the energy, and I make us both the same thing.  I am hoping to find some good vegetarian crockpot recipes (besides vegetarian chili) that I can set to cook in the morning before work.  And I'm sick of when I say "looking for vegetarian crockpot recipes", and people *only* answer with "Ooh! Chili!"  Sad  I don't actually like chili, and it's worse now that I can't have sour cream & cheese to cool it down spice-wise.

I know that's a lot of text, with no actual recipes or suggestions.  Sad  However, I did start Vegetarian, Vegan and Dairy Free boards on my Pinterest for things that look tasty.  Feel free to follow me.  I'd love to know if anyone else has similar boards.  I've been unfollowing all "regular" (aka dairy/meat filled) cooking boards, and trying to follow more and more healthy ones.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie's Etsy | Facebook | Pinterest | Harry Potter Craftalong

It does not due to dwell on dreams and forget to craft.
ghilie

Good Cookie Designs

Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2012 08:51:36 AM »

jennie, how about lentil sloppy joes for a crockpot meal?  I saw this on the hillbilly housewife (http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/lentil-sloppy-joes.htm) but there are really endless (and complicated) variations if you google it.  I figure you could crockpot the lentils, and then when you get home, add the sauce.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit http://ghilie.wordpress.com/ for the poppet pattern.

"I grow old, I grow old, I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled."
SunflowerSmiles

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2012 11:26:22 AM »

kjlutz...do you think you could post a link to the book you recommended or send me the link via PM? I'm experiencing a heck of a time trying to find it...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

This and That... my main blog. Drop by and say "Hello!"
  Sew Stuffed a blog about the dolls and stuffies I make
    Pinterest
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

~*Harry Potter Craftalong Headmistress*~

I really need a Sonic Seam Ripper.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2012 01:02:22 PM »

Oohhh... good suggestion Ghilie.  I've never seen DH eat Sloppy Joes, but maybe I can entice him anyways.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie's Etsy | Facebook | Pinterest | Harry Potter Craftalong

It does not due to dwell on dreams and forget to craft.
kjlutz
Tutorial Contributor

I am woman watch me grow!

Wherever you've been, He's been there

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2013 04:45:48 PM »

kjlutz...do you think you could post a link to the book you recommended or send me the link via PM? I'm experiencing a heck of a time trying to find it...

Here's the amazon link http://www.amazon.com/More-Less-Cookbook-World-Community/dp/083619263X
You caN also get it at Ten Thousand Villages Stores.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you get to change the world, and other times the world changes you.

Currently drowning in the sea called PhD.

Interested in swapping for I-Spy Quilt Squares and Scraps.
SunflowerSmiles

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2013 05:34:39 PM »

oh thank you!!! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

This and That... my main blog. Drop by and say "Hello!"
  Sew Stuffed a blog about the dolls and stuffies I make
    Pinterest
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2013 09:24:25 AM »

What, gals? These guys can't cook meat? You're kidding, right? Stick a pile of chicken thighs or pork chops in the crockpot, add a little liquid/flavoring, turn it on and go. Use slow cooker bags so you don't have a huge mess to clean up. Drag out the grill for him on alternate nights - I know few men who don't love to start a fire and cook meat on it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Dr. Jill Biden Thanks Veterans
Dana Gynther Reflects on Crossing on the Paris
Emma Ward Performs Her Poem "Trains"
How to Get an ISBN
Actress Kara Hayward Reads an Excerpt from The Blessed
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...