A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,127
Currently Running With Scissors:
617 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Plastic Bags = A Fused Plastic Dress & A Knit Vest  (Read 2396 times)
Tags for this thread: fused_plastic , dress  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

heybabyboombah
« on: December 10, 2012 12:48:24 PM »

I made this about two years ago, which was long before plastic bags got banned in my city of residence. I'm still pretty proud of this project, though wearing it has never been very feasible because plastic bag fusion does not create the most breathable material ever, and even on a cold night one gets rather sticky and sweaty.  Tongue

I made this dress and vest for a Haute Trash Fashion show. It's about 98% plastic grocery bags, save for two straps of elastic in the back of the dress which allowed me to (barely) squeeze into the thing. (Unfortunately I don't have pictures of the back!)

The dress was made by fusing plastic bags into big roughly sized sheets which were then trimmed into a skirt and bodice shape, and fused together again.

The vest was made after hours and hours of making plastic bag yarn and then more hours of slowly knitting it. That stuff isn't the easiest stuff to knit with so I remember doing it a little bit at a time, as to not completely destroy my hands. I pretty well improvised the pattern, knitting it from the top down.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

˘ ˘❤Stef
SiFi Mom

I own too many beads!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012 03:20:04 PM »

I'm impressed!  I think they're both awesome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SiFi Mom, aka Nancy
Crafting is my mental therapy!
solsticecusp
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013 11:18:52 PM »

Cute outfit!  I'm really amazed that everything is plastic bags - I assumed it was cotton from the thumbnail. Great job  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ellie_be
FertLover

www. PeaceandPlastic.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013 07:02:55 PM »

Wow!  How awesome!  I've been thinking of making some fused items myself  - this is an inspiration!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm an artist, I make shit.

I was on my way to the market to buy a loaf of bread, when all of the sudden...
Clarachk
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013 12:32:15 PM »

Well, you rocked that plast-ique!! The dress photographs like unpressed linen. It is really sweet. I like the little bit of colour at the top of the breast. The vest? I had to look again because it looks like you picked it out of the closet just to throw over the dress. It does not look like plastic AT ALL! The knit actually reminds me of a little purple cardigan I have. It is made out of a shiny-type yarn that I can't identify. Well done on both pieces. And, thank you for deciding to post it despite so much time passing. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You can never solve a problem on the level on which it was created." ~Albert Einstein

"The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift." ~Albert Einstein
heybabyboombah
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013 09:34:28 PM »

Hey, thanks for the compliments Smiley I was pretty darn proud of this project so it's nice to know others can appreciate the details.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

˘ ˘❤Stef
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Clockwork Orange
How to Make a Milk Carton Birdhouse
How to Turn Lightbulbs Into Christmas Ornaments
How to Make Melt-and-Pour Soap
How to Wrap a Present Creatively
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...