A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,592
Currently Running With Scissors:
791 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Is this right?  (Read 1266 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Abigail E.
« on: December 10, 2012 05:08:26 AM »

I'm not sure if I'm doing this right. I've never successfully made anything that was not in the round crocheting. I always end up slowly increasing or decreasing. I'm trying to make a blanket using my old yarn, with random squares of crochet. (I'm doing "single crochet ribbing")

Obviously, it looks funny. Is that because I'm increasing, or is it because the first row(?) that I did is just tighter than the rest? When I get to the end of a row(?) and I flip the piece, and start again, I always chain one. Then do I skip one stitch(?) and start at the second one? Because I haven't being doing that, and so am I therefore increasing?

Help would be appreciated!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lilibet
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Princess of Lust

Princess of Lust

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012 06:59:36 AM »

There are people here that are way smarter crocheters than I am, but I think I can help you along... Simple reason, I have this problem too. According to what I read, you are crocheting okay. The main problem is not the first row, but your basic chain. It's just a little bit too tight, and you end up pulling everything together. You can try to crochet looser, but I find that using a needle just one size bigger than the one you will be using does the trick just fine. Your chain will be loser and your real work will be more straight.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Are you a fellow Craftster that is addicted to all sorts of Facebook games? PM me, so we can play together!
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/lilibet/pins/
Bidibibodibibu
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012 09:08:43 AM »

I dont' studied English, I hope you understand me.
Single crochet is "fat", want more space.
You need a loser chain.
Double crochet, if worked properly, is less fat, and your chain will probably fit well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mommycrafter
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012 09:52:42 AM »

It does look like the problem is a tight beginning chain, but a good way to find out would be to count the number of stitches in the first row and the last row completed to see if they match up.  The first scarf I ever made was the incredible expanding scarf because I kept crocheting extra stitches at the end of each row and it took me forever to figure it out.  You do chain one at the begging of each new row and it does not count as a stitch and then you would sc into the last stitch of the previous row.  If you think you are crocheting extra stitches at the beginning or end of each row you can use stitch markers to mark those stitches as you make them it will help to visualize where that stitch is.  Also blocking the blanket squares before you sew them together will help with the shaping.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Artisan82

formerly Crafty.Canadian

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012 10:42:07 AM »

There are people here that are way smarter crocheters than I am, but I think I can help you along... Simple reason, I have this problem too. According to what I read, you are crocheting okay. The main problem is not the first row, but your basic chain. It's just a little bit too tight, and you end up pulling everything together. You can try to crochet looser, but I find that using a needle just one size bigger than the one you will be using does the trick just fine. Your chain will be loser and your real work will be more straight.

This is the same advice I would have given you.  Also, counting your stitches every so often will help you too  Wink  But I almost never count stitches, if I can help it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I post all my crafty stuff on Facebook.  I'd LOVE if you'd like my page!
Artisan 82 on Facebook
My baby, my Etsy shop: Artisan 82 on Etsy
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012 11:10:14 AM »

This might help:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=363636.msg4269422#msg4269422

You need to make sure that you do not start your first stitch in the stitch UNDER your crochet one chain...usually, a chain already counts as the stitch:  one chain=single crochet, two chains=double crochet, etc.

I still count every few rows to be sure I am not accidentally increasing! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Abigail E.
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012 11:12:39 AM »

Thanks for your replies!

I counted the stitches at the beginning and end. They are the same. So it just must be that when I chained, I chained too tight? Will it improve or should I restart and chain looser?

Here is another piece of the blanket I started. I did exactly the same thing I've been doing with the gray, but this one is turning out OK so far. So I'm confused.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make all things!!

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012 11:16:44 AM »

uhm, I count 20 in your first row and 22 in your last...you are definitely increasing... Cheesy

AND, you are crocheting looser as you go... Cheesy

oops--counted in wrong direction and I really can't see clearly on this monitor

change that to decreasing and tighter! Cheesy

« Last Edit: December 10, 2012 11:34:43 AM by alwaysinmyroom » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Abigail E.
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2012 11:30:26 AM »

Actually, I counted 24 in my first row and 21 in my last...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make all things!!

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2012 11:33:06 AM »

oops--I wan't paying attention and counted the wrong direction!  Sorry..!  Whatever...you are not stitching consistently...let me look again...you'll get it...one is too big, one is too small...we need to get you to JUST RIGHT! Cheesy

Look at five from the BOTTOM--looks like you skipped one there...see how it indents in?

Look for indents or poke outs (yay--real professional terms!)...
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012 11:36:21 AM by alwaysinmyroom » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Testing Out the Skineez Skincarewear
Learn How to Wash Every Type of Fabric
Best Dressed Stars: Selena Gomez, Julianne Hough and Jessica Alba
How to Make an Embellished Crystal Collar for a Button-Up Blouse
Non-Boring Ways To Wear A LNA White T-Shirt
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...