A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,582
Currently Running With Scissors:
599 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Non Chocolate Xmas Treats?  (Read 800 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ivoryh1632
« on: December 09, 2012 06:26:32 PM »

I always make up a bunch of goodies for everyone for xmas but my boyfriend's mom just found out she can't have chocolate or coffee (yeah, she's not too happy about that one) and almost everything I make involves chocolate. Does anyone have any ideas or recipies  for some special treats I can make for her?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kjlutz
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I am woman watch me grow!

Wherever you've been, He's been there

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012 07:33:42 PM »

Shortbread, lemon squares, date squares or balls, peanut butter balls, Scandinavian almond bars, gingerbread cookies.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you get to change the world, and other times the world changes you.

Currently drowning in the sea called PhD.

Interested in swapping for I-Spy Quilt Squares and Scraps.
ivoryh1632
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012 07:51:00 PM »

oh thanks! i make a thing where i dip peanut butter balls in chocolate but i never thought about just leaving them plain. i'm not a fan of lemon but those date bars sound good, and i've alwasys wanted to try my hand at shortbread. and i have no idea what scandanavian almond bars are but they sound amazing ( i love almost anything almond).

thanks so much, i'm off to look up recipies and see what looks easy....and whati can make without buying too many extra ingredients  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

eiyela
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012 03:11:35 AM »

gingerbread cookies, knck... Hmm, not sure if there's a good word for that, but it's basically chewy caramel candies. You can even make it in the microwave.

1 dl double cream
1 dl sugar
1 dl golden syrup

If you do it in the microwave, use a BIG bowl. This stuff boils huge. Just mix everything up, put it in the microwave for 8 minutes, taking out to stir occasionally. Use gloves!

If you do it on a stove, bring the whole thing to a boil while stirring, lower the heat and cook until it thickens up. You can use a candy thermometer or a caramel test to determine the right thickness. Just drip some into a glass of cold water, scoop it out and roll it up. When you can make a softish ball from it, it's done.

Once it's done cooking you can add some slivered almonds to the caramel as well, it's tasty. <3 Pour the caramel onto a papered tray and chop it up once cool, or directly into little wrappers like these:

They're like cupcake wrappers, just smaller.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kjlutz
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I am woman watch me grow!

Wherever you've been, He's been there

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012 07:27:22 AM »

We typically do our peanut butter balls half and half, half dipped in chocolate, half not.  Sometimes we roll them in coconut , icing sugar, or sprinkles. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you get to change the world, and other times the world changes you.

Currently drowning in the sea called PhD.

Interested in swapping for I-Spy Quilt Squares and Scraps.
ivoryh1632
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012 05:40:00 PM »

eiyela - those look delicious, but i just went and looked up the double cream and golden syrup since we don't have them here in the US and everyone says the substitutes aren't the same. they say to use heavy cream instead of double cream which doesn't have as high of a fat content so i guess doesn't make things as rich or creamy and to use half corn syrup and half honey for the golden syrup but they said that's thinner and doesn't taste the same. so i'm not sure if the recipe will end up the same, but i might give it a whirl anyway and see how it goes. love the idea of adding almonds into the carmel though, i might do that with another recipe.

also, when you put the candy in those mini cupcake liners it doesnt stick to the paper? they look so cute in them but since carmel candies are so sticky i would think it would stick to anything other than wax paper or parchment paper
THIS ROCKS   Logged

eiyela
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012 05:18:26 AM »

Well, the fat in the cream tends to float out to the edges as the caramel cools. It gives the candies a tiny slick of grease, so they tend not to stick.

Even if it doesn't work out as candy, you could add a bit more liquid and turn it into a mean caramel sauce, om nom nom...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ivoryh1632
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2012 06:30:38 PM »

mmmmm good idea
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Update Your Look With Hair Extensions
How to Get Soft and Shiny Locks with Steam
Beachy Waves Without Going to a Salon
Three Hair Sprays That Do More Than Just Hold Your Style
Hair Care with Natural Ingredients
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...