A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,379
Currently Running With Scissors:
578 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: New here need help with mod podge dollhouse problem  (Read 488 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pengworm
« on: December 09, 2012 05:44:58 PM »

Hello everyone. I'm pengworm and I'm brand new here and loving what I'm finding all ready. I'm really hoping that some of you out there who know a lot more than me might be able to help me out. My husband and I have been making a dollhouse for our daughter for Christmas out of a bookshelf. Now the bookshelf we're using is just one of those cheapo mdf $15 deals from walmart. My husband drilled new holes to make the shelves the proper space for barbies to fit and also used the extra shelf we didn't need as dividers to make rooms.

I had seen on different blogs how people had used mod podge and scrapbook paper as wallpaper. I was super excited to do this but I did have some reservations about how well the mod podge would actually stick to the mdf, but again I had seen it done online so that must mean it will work right? Well not so much. We started with our first "room" of the dollhouse and it didn't go well. I used what I would call a medium layer of mod podge on the back of the paper and planned to let that dry for few minutes. Right away I noticed big old bubbles so my husband and I did our best to smooth it out. Well this sort of worked and we then attempted to put a layer over the top of the paper. Again the bubbles were big and it just didn't look like it was sticking very well.

We have four rooms left to do but we were afraid to start on anymore because it just didn't look like this was going to turn out. I plan on putting more coats on this room but this is a project we are working on when we can get grandma to watch kids so that didn't leave us much time tonight. Bookshelf/dollhouse is hidden in the basement right now and I plan on checking how that first coat dried once kids are in bed. If it looks like it might be okay then I'll give it another go and do more layers.

Does anyone know if this is just not going to work out? I wondered if maybe it would've worked better had we used kilz or something first? None of the stuff I saw online mentioned anyone doing that though so I thought I wouldn't need to. I'm wondering if we should just skip it and buy something like contact paper? I'm just very confused and disappointed because I had lots of pretty paper planned out to use. However being a crafter I know that sometimes (who am I kidding most times for me) projects don't turn out as planned.

Thanks in advance for any help you could offer. I look forward to learning and sharing with you all and getting this dollhouse done by Christmas!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LimeRiot
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Sublime

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012 10:03:18 AM »

This sounds like such a special project. I'm certain your daughter is going to be thrilled, no matter what the wallpaper looks like Smiley.

I wonder if you should try giving the shelves a good sanding first? That might help the paper adhere a bit better. What if you used a different glue (or maybe even double sided tape) to attach the paper to walls and then modge podge over the top just to seal it? You could also probably seal your pretty papers with a clear contact paper and then use something like e600 to attach it to the walls. I wouldn't image you'd get bubbles that way.

Good luck! I hope you'll share your complete project after the holiday Smiley.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest!
My Blog!

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
steiconi
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013 11:55:11 PM »

I think your problem was in applying the glue to the paper.  You should apply the Mod Podge to the wood, the slide the paper onto it. 

I usually cut cardboard walls that fit inside the room, paper them, and attach them to the room with small amounts of silicone glue (caulk).  The silicone peels off the wood when it's time to redecorate.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Artist Uses Mouth to Paint
Art of VIBE: How & Nosm Go From Tagging Trains to 4-Story Buildings
Glen Berger Tells The Back Story of Spider-Man: Turn Off The Dark
Light and Movement Digitally Added to Van Gogh Paintings
This Artist Uses Bananas as His Palettes
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Melted Crayon Painting
More Art, Less Craft
Meatless Monday: No Bake Lime Cheesecake

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...