A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 299,135
Currently Running With Scissors:
764 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Rudolf the Red-nosed Giraffe Pull Toy Decoration (six pix)  (Read 881 times)
Tags for this thread: giraffe , santas_sleigh , pull_toy  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: December 09, 2012 08:34:38 AM »

The ManFlesh's mom's favorite animal is the giraffe and a few years ago I spotted (heh, get it?) this plain paper mache giraffe at one of the big box craft stores and snatched it up.  Finally this year I thought to make a pull toy decoration out of it.  As I wondered the craft stores this year looking for the supplies to make it into a pull toy, I got the idea to have the giraffe pulling Santa's sleigh and Rudolf the Red-nosed Giraffe was born!

I foolishly assumed that I could find a pre-made sleigh ornament to alter or a blank at a craft store.  Wrong and wrong.  I couldn't even find a flat version to make into a 3D version, so I bought a paper mache box in the appropriate size and then drew a sleigh pattern, traced it twice (once facing each direction) on paper board.  I used faux bois textured paper, metallic black paper and paint to cover the paper board.  I "hung" wee wreaths (weeths?) on the sides for some color.  The inside of the sleigh is a cute little red/white/green plaid, but I over filled Santa's sleigh so it can't really been seen.  D'oh!

I made Santa's sack out of felt and filled the bottom with mini presents from the craft store, then topped them with little bits and bobs from my stash + the drum which came with some of the mini-presents.  It was originally shiny silver and gold so I painted it and restrung it with black embroidery floss.

So I just painted the giraffe with craft paint.  His harness is cobbled together from a silk knot that came from a decoration on some of that twirly luck bamboo - it had a loop on the top and a piece of faux jade with the symbols for luck or prosperity (or cherry trees for all I know) written on it.  I cut and knotted both ends, tied and glued a wee jingle bell to the bottom, then used the side loops for adding ribbon (with more jingle bells sewn to it) for the sides and abdomen.  A pre-made wee pompon for the nose.

And one final shot of the whole thing from the other side and at a different angle

Oh!  The base is two pre-made wooden planks (well, it's actually thin plywood) that I glued together to double the thickness.  Instead of making axels, I drilled 4 holes for dowels into the sides and slid the dowels through the pre-made wheels.  I used a standard thumbtack for the "hubcap" which I covered with the same paper that lines the sleigh.  So the wheels actually roll.  There's a tiny screw eye up front for the little ribbon and wooden beads that make the pull rope.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

monochromaticcuteness
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012 08:17:08 PM »

How adorable.  I'm sure it is to be a well received and much loved gift.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elderflower
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012 04:15:08 AM »

That is an amazing piece of work and a great Christmas decoration
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012 06:47:07 AM »

Thanks so much!  It was a fun challenge for me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Messy Braid Bun
Breaking Down the Myths About Locs
How to Get the Perfect Ariana Grande & Iggy Azalea High Ponytail
How to Wake Up With Waves
Blowout Troubles? What Products You Need for a Week of Great Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...