A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,034
Currently Running With Scissors:
611 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Little Fish-Shaped Ex-Soysauce Containers  (Read 1435 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

CatherineIsabel
Student Layabout

View Profile
« on: December 08, 2012 07:47:32 AM »

So I eat a lot of those little boxes of 'sushi' you get at Tesco (I know, I know, dreadfully over packaged Sad ).

Each box comes with its own little mini fish-shaped bottle of soy sauce, for those of your who aren't familiar, they look something like this http://www.flickr.com/photos/haiku_girl/5693818779/ and come in two sizes: that one, and a slightly bigger one.

Being the massive hoarder that I am I've saved a few of them (and cleaned them out first, of course :p) thinking that there's bound to be something cool I can do with them, they're pretty cute, I think.
Of course now I just need an idea as to what to actually do with them.

I initially thought of maybe colouring them on the inside (PVA glue and paint, maybe some glitter type of thing) and stringing them up with some fairy lights, you know, with a bulb in each one (fish fairy lights! Cheesy) but sadly I think the neck of the fish is too small for that Sad

Any ideas, anybody? Or am I just hoarding a bunch of plastic trash for no good reason? :p
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ThePQ4
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012 08:18:04 AM »

That is flippin' adorable! What about making like...weird jewelery out of them?? Are they too big to be made into dangly-style earrings? The larger ones could be used in necklaces, maybe... Keychains? I think they're cute for their intended purpose; you could reuse them for bento boxes, or find out if a Mom or co-worker is looking for tiny condiment holders...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012 04:33:18 PM »

Are you sure the mouth is too small for a light?  I like that idea, and wonder, if the mouth is too small, if you could take a heat tool and using the tip, widen the hole enough to take a small LED light?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
steiconi
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012 07:38:19 PM »

I found a bag of these at the drug store a few years ago and had to have them.  the only thing I've used them for as yet is ear drops, they work great!

to make lights, you wouldn't need a heat tool, just cut off the neck and force the light in.  You could alternatively cut openings in other parts of the fish to insert a bulb.  But the cords for standard teensy lights would kind of overpower the fish.  Maybe find a battery-operated strand?  Then you could wear them as well as decorate with them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
susie in the sky
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013 03:28:39 PM »

This? http://sisteroutlaws.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/keeping-christmas-eco-recycled-sushi.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My crafty, eco-y, charity shopp-y, vegan-y, happy-y blog...

http://secondhandsusie.blogspot.co.uk/
lovesclutter

Nothing is safe in its native form.

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013 05:53:27 AM »

Susie in the Sky, you were reading my mind. I've never seen these. Now wanting to buy some sushi. What is a Tesco?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
Antidigger
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013 08:42:59 AM »

Tesco is a major supermarket chain in the UK, known for it's cheapness.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
lovesclutter

Nothing is safe in its native form.

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2013 03:54:45 PM »

Thanks, maybe I can get a partner sometime to send me some. LOL, Oh, that's right I'm destashing.

I would use the food coloring too, cut shapes in a box and backlight would be pretty, especially a slightly opaque blue glass. Love little things like this.

CatherineIsabel, make sure you show us what you come up with and WELCOME TO CRAFTSTER.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
seleniebeanie
Running on all 4 cylinders!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2013 06:21:50 PM »

I would use a push pin and poke a hole in  the caps. You can buy screw-eyes if you want and put them into the caps. Then you can fill them with food colouring &water to make a colourful mobile. If you can't find screw eyes, just string a bead under the caps for support.

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My ultimate gifts to receive: Thread and Glue Sticks!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Plein-Air Landscape Painting
How to Make a Composition in Your Painting
How to Paint the Landscape
Painting Lesson - Color Chapter 1
Painting Lesson - Seeing Color & Value
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...