A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 296,744
Currently Running With Scissors:
438 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dress help.... Suggestions required  (Read 1298 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dfabbric
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: December 07, 2012 07:54:13 PM »

So I'm making this dress and need some tips and ideas to make it look nicer and not so home made.
I know it should be in kids, but I've posted there before and no one responds. Since this is more for the fashion then technique perspective, I think this board should work just as well.

So I wanted the bottom poofy-er, but I am not sure that the fabric will flow out the way I want it to, the overdress looks well, kind of silly in the front. I'm not so sure I can rescue this dress. The top is a bit tight and wrinkles at the back, so I'm gonna put in an insert. I'm just not sure about the front and how to make it look better. Any suggestions are welcome.
Thank you!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
AlenaSelene
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012 06:04:25 AM »

This outfit is really cute.

Adding a narrow strip of fabric down each side seam is the usual way of adding inches, because it adds the inches evenly while keeping the armholes in place. But with the cross strap back, I think you could add a panel at the back. A panel with a faux lace up would look cool.

I'd salvage the bottom by separating the skirt from the top. Fix the top up to fit. Do whatever you need to do to the gold underskirt to make it pouf. Reattach the gold skirt to the top.

Then mess with the over skirt. I would reattach it as it is (that is, both edges of the open center front meet at the center front at the waist). Then, I'd cut away the front of the skirt, the pieces that are turned up and back in the photo. Another option is to split the skirt open, and put one edge on each side of the body, so it only covers the sides and back, taking tucks in the waist to make it fit.

Another option is to recut the skirt into a cape worn over the shoulders.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012 12:10:24 PM »

I totally agree that a panel in the back would make the top fit better...even if the lace up is fake, it would add a cute detail!  Fit is the first give away that something is "homemade"...

I like that the front is open to show off the cute ruffles of the underskirt, but I don't like how it is pinned open like that...can you unpin and tuck it back up under the sides to poof out the sides?  I have seen wedding gowns with that sort of detail...

It is really cute...I know people often say it is just for a kid and you don't want to spend a lot of time and money since they will out grow it quickly, but I disagree...the reason most people sew today is to get something unique of better quality.  And, that means nice sewing, even for a kid!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AlenaSelene
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012 05:40:03 AM »

Looking at this again, I think alwaysinmyroom has a really good point. Maybe those folded back sections of the skirt were meant to go UNDER not over. Folding them under would turn them into "Cinderella" type poufs, and expose more of the gold underskirt. Plus, folding them under would be a super easy solution
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dfabbric

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012 06:45:37 PM »

Thanks for all the help so far, I've already added inserts into the side of the skirts and made a poofier underskirt. I am also going to shorten the top a bit. I folded under the overskirt, but now I'm wondering if I should try and ruffle it just in the front. I'm still playing. I'll post again after Ive finished some of the improvements.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make all things!!

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012 09:09:09 PM »

I bet your experimenting will give you the dress you see in your mind's eye!

Your child is lucky to have a mom who makes things with creativity and care!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dfabbric

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012 06:52:56 PM »

Here's my 2nd attempt. I added some inserts in the skirt. It's a bit heavy though so it weighs down the underskirt.
I'm going to tuck the back in a bit since the top seems a little too long. Since this picture I have steamed the front of the over-skirt. I am hoping this will help it fall nicer.
I think its looking much better then before, thanks for all your suggestions. Someday I might be able to post this to the completed projects discussion.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make all things!!

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2012 08:26:42 AM »

oh fabulous!  A lot more pouf makes it look very much princess-like! The back also looks like it fits looser and would be more comfortable for her...I also like that the front shows off more of the underskirt...

Now all she needs is a tiara... Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Canon G10: Set Manual Mode (M)
Canon G10: Set Manual Focus Function
Canon G10: Set ISO Function
Canon G10: Set Format Function
Canon G10: Set Flash Function
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...