A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,044
Currently Running With Scissors:
568 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Gluing beads/glitter onto fabric  (Read 1334 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

haroldlovesmaude
Yossarian Lives!

I see the fire, I see the end.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: December 13, 2012 09:50:50 AM »

I am looking for a shirt to wear for a new years party I am attending. I really like this shirt at H&M  but there's not a H&M store in my area and there's no online ordering/shipping for the US. And to be honest, I'd prefer it in a different color as I have a black skirt and a black blazer I'll be wearing with it. I read an article on a sewing website which gave me a brief tutorial about a good method of sewing beads on the shirt, but that seems like it would take a really long time. I'm lazy and will probably only be wearing this once. I could stencil on the design, but I'd prefer a more 3D (non-puffy paint) effect. Is there a good way to glue on beads? I'd prefer not to use glitter, but I'd also prefer that the beads not to fall off my shirt all night.

Suggestions? Links to tutorials? Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012 09:52:13 AM by haroldlovesmaude » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"They had not brains enough to be introverted and repressed." -Catch-22
etsy shop & faves
Alexus1325
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012 07:39:38 PM »

You could buy sequin trim and hand-tack it onto a plain black tank top. If you would truly rather glue it, make sure to put cardboard inside the shirt and use a glue designed for fabric, such as Fabri-Tac.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AlenaSelene
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012 09:25:28 AM »

Beware of stretch! Stretchy fabric is the downfall for much glued or sewn on bling.

If your fabric is non-stretchy, and you are not concerned about long term wear ability, you can lay the shirt out flat and sew or glue on just about anything. If the anything is heavy and the shirt material is lightweight, stabilize by adding a layer of interfacing or self fabric behind the design. If you are making the top from scratch it's easiest to apply the design to the front piece then assemble the garment. 

Stretchy fabric is really hard on glued on decorations. If you put a stretchy t-shirt flat on a table, glue on decorations, then put the top on, the top will stretch to fit on your body, but the design will not and the shirt will pucker around it. It also puts stress on the area so the design won't last, if the stretch is too limited even pulling it on over your head could cause the decorations to pop off.

To apply decorations to a stretchy, put it on and have someone pin the decorations in place using oodles of tiny safety pins. Heavy decorations can pull a stretchy out of shape, so interface or use two layers of fabric. When gluing or sewing the design, stretch the shirt to fit the pined on decoration.

When decorations are properly applied to stretchies, the garments look a little weird on the hanger, with puckers around the decorations. When the garment is worn, the material will stretch smooth.

Sewing any decoration on by hand can be time consuming. Someone else already suggested stretch sequin trims. These are great because they will stretch right along with stretchy fabric and can be applied with a sewing machine.

One method of beading that might work with this design is applying strings of beads. I've used this method with lightweight beaded Christmas garlands on belly dance costumes. Get your design on the front of the shirt with chalk, string, whatever method you like. Lay strings of beads along each line. Cut the strings as necessary, gluing the ends (hot glue Ok). Thread a needle and pick a starting point at the end of a design line. If you can stitch through the hole of the bead, do that. Otherwise, just stitch over the thread between the first and second beads. Skip a few beads (3 - 8 beads, depending on size and weight), then stitch over the thread again. Continue to the end of the line, knot the thread and cut it.

The advantage of this method is that if you don't want to wear the shirt again the beads can easily be removed and reused for another project.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
dfabbric
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012 06:57:30 PM »

Another idea is iron on crystals. You can get them at most craft stores. Micheals has them and you can use the coupon. They are super bling-y and you just place and iron. Very fast. This is easier too if it's stretchy because it only sticks to the one small area you attach it to, unlike a trim that goes for a distance.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Is Ecodesign a Ripoff? How to Afford a Healthy Home
Frank Lloyd Wright or An Igloo? Sexy Homes on Airbnb
Granite Vs. Laminate: Sustainability Below the Surface
Gardens of the Atomic Age: Landscaping Eichler Homes
Visitability: Smart Design Tips For Accessible Kitchens
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...