This project contains three pins from Pinterest in one. First the flower pots (http://www.inlieuofpreschool.com/rainbow-pour-painting-flower-pots/
, then the coffee filter lining(http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/photos/0,,20241198_20545225,00.html
and the lemon seed planting(http://greengardenblog.com/2013/01/03/from-lemon-seeds/
These were the pots I used:
This is how you start. Grab some paint you can spare/waste and dump it on the flower pots.
Then take however many different paints and dump them on there as well. (Be careful, it's super fun, so I wasted a bunch of paint) Try not to cover the lower paint completely, and maybe leave some of the pot untouched as well.
There you go. Now let it dry (forever, because I used way too much paint). Notice all the wasted paint on the bottom of the pan? I used that to create the paper "art" for a Spring wreath. I just couldn't let all that paint go to waste, especially cause it's looking pretty cool down there.
I skipped a step here. The pot needed to be covered with clear laquer, because I used water soluble paint. If I didn't the paint would dissolve once I watered the plants inside.
Now for the planting. I prepared the lemon seeds a while ago and put the in the pot covering them with an inch of soil.
So messy! That's what happens, when you feel like springtime, all planting and stuff, and it's snowing outside. (This was end of march!)
Here's the coffee filter sitting in the pot before putting the soil in, so the soil doesn't come through the hole on the bottom. So practical.
And they're done. Took long enough.. all the painting and drying. They took place on our window sill in the bedroom.
Side to side with my small eucalyptus tree.
And here's the three weeks later update:
So cute! It's awesome to watch something grow from a seed
Here's the post on my blog: http://bastelbazooka.blogspot.de/2013/03/artsy-fartsy-flower-pots.html